do you want to get paid the same as someone who has a better job

@suspenseful (40316)
I was wondering this when I saw the information that Obama wants to distribute wealth from the rich and give it to the poor. I then thought of those Letters to the editor in our local paper up here in Winnipeg, Manitoba. And both seemed to be similar, but since this concerns people in general, I thought I had better post it this way. These letters to the editor were usually from one or two who complained that even though they worked as a gas station attendant, store clerk, waiter, or some job where they did not get paid much, that they deserved the same money as someone who went to University, to trade school, or vocational school and was either a doctor, heavy duty mechanic, or hair dresser. These wondered why the latter were getting more money from their labors then they who really worked. Yet, if you were a lawyer or even a secretary, should you not get more pay then someone who is a paralegal or a file clerk? So why should someone who did not get a good education and had a low end job get the same pay or expect the same pay as someone who chose to further his education and got a better career?
Quite frankly i wish people would call this what it really is. The "Give to the Poor" or Share the wealth" concept is not new. As a matter of fact it is common place in other countries. Great countries like China, and Cuba. It was really popular in the Soviet Union a few years ago. It is socialism. I'm not bashing anyone. I'm just calling it by it's real name. That's like an employer saying to someone he is getting ready to fire "I am going to give other companies an opportunity to utilize your great potential" NO what he is really saying is "YOU'RE FIRED" Why should I, who has spent money and time to study, spent time working at a job to improve myself. Took the time to go to interview after interview. rejection after rejection, until I finally found a job that was willing to pay me more. Why should I be required to take what I have earned and give to someone else. When does the government have the right to step in and take what I rightfully earned and give to someone else. Should I not have the right to do with what I have. Can I not make a decision on my own to support who I want to support, give to whom I want to give, Bless who I want to bless. Unless we are going to be a socialist society, I still have the right to do with my money what I wish.
@suspenseful (40316)
We had Robin Hood back in England robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. Maybe he instead of Lenin was the first socialist. I had not been in the Soviet Union, but I have a cousin there who was married to a Russian soldier. They have a large family and lived in a commune and that was back in the 1960s. And from what my aunt told me, things were hard there. So socialism does not work. I can see voluntarily helping someone out and donating to help the less fortunate, but I do not approve of the government taking what one has earned and giving it to someone who was worse off.
@slickcut (8141)
I heard on Tv this commentary about obama,this is what i heard him say.he said the poor would never be taxed any higher and that some of the poor would have it tax free,,That he planned to make the weathly pay higher taxes as to benefit the poorer...So you are right it is like the "robin hood effect"but i wonder if the higher ups like the big wigs in politic's will have higher taxes as well or does that just apply to the public...?I think some of that spending that the government is doing should be cut back on & all that money that those officals are making in the government should pay high taxes ,not the public..Maybe i am wrong but i don't really think it is fair to rob from the rich to give to the poor.It should start at the whiteHouse....the cutbacks
@suspenseful (40316)
I hate it when someone who is rich can get more deductions and they seem to go on the workers. And I think they should maybe let the workers get the deductions, but it does not mean that someone should arbitrarily give the money that someone has worked to the poor. Let's say the White House. If congress decides that they will take a decrease in salary, and the President says that he will live on less voluntarily to help the economy, that is all right, but no one should take what they earned and give it to somoene else. So the same rule applies even up to the President of the United States. Keep the taxes where they are and if they want to donate money or give scholarships away, fine, but otherwise no.
No, I do not think a store clerk should get the same as a doctor. The store clerk did not have to prepare for his job the way a doctor did. Voting for Obama could do this, though.
@suspenseful (40316)
You have to really study to be a doctor or a minister of the gospel even -imagine all that Latin Greek Hebrew and public speaking, plus the other things. A store clerk you can just get after Grade Twelve, although when I was younger, you went to cashier school, but that is not the same as spending five or more years in medical school plus internship.
Imagine that! There was actually a cashier school...
@ElicBxn (61051)
Greed. They want to get the same money for doing what any joe can do when they couldn't do the job they want to get paid as much for. Lets see, a lawyer who lost his job could go work as a clerk but a clerk could not go argue a case in court....
@suspenseful (40316)
When I was between jobs, and got unemployment insurance, if there were no lawyer jobs and the lawyer had to work as a clerk, that was what he was classified with. But I doubt that a lawyer would want to be a clerk, maybe working as a junior lawyer for an office or working in the district attorneys or legal aid, but not as a clerk. Still the same, if the people wanted to get paid as much as a lawyer, maybe they should have looked to see how much it costs to go to University, and then what entails after that, the long hours, practicing court cases, etc.
@ElicBxn (61051)
true, but he could take a job if that was all that he could find and could get no unemployment
@Lakota12 (42681)
They shouldnt. The only way they should get more pay is to go up thru the system and learn more about the work and be promoted!
@suspenseful (40316)
The trouble is that they do not want to do all the hard work and they think that everyone above them should give them the money.
@Lakota12 (42681)
if they dont get higher pay it is because they are lazy and want money handed to them for no work!
@dragon54u (31651)
The doctors, lawyers, etc. were willing to work and sacrifice to get their degrees and they have sometimes a hundred thousand dollars in loans by the time they graduate. For the most part, they make sure they don't have any birth control accidents and wait till they're out of school before they have children. This doesn't mean that their money should be taken away and given to someone who couldn't keep it in his pants and had a family before he (or she) graduated high school and is now stuck working in a menial job. Before you jump all over me, there are people who have kids-even single parents-who sacrifice and put themselves through school so their kids will have a better life. Those people don't deserve their money stolen from them to be given to someone else. Wealth distribution is communist and that was the deciding factor in my decision who to vote for. I work hard for my money and it's mine to do with what I want, not anyone else's. Same as I don't want to accept anything I haven't worked for.
@momiecat (997)
I agree with your post. People have to take responsibility for their own destiny. If someone from a poorer family shows an interest in getting an education, then I would be all for helping them in some way, like may be a lower tuition. A lot of young people in our American society take things for granted. They can get an almost free public education and they blow it, don't study, cut classes, etc. Granted, the way we educate young people should be updated from time to time. I feel that kids need to be screened for subjects that the excel in and get them into classes they would be interested in. That would help. I have known many immigrant people (to the US) to be very hard working people. Some countries, though, have different work ethics, lifestyles and habits that can be very detrimental not only to themselves but to people around them, cities where they live, states where they live, etc. In California, a lot of people come from Mexico for a few different reasons. Some have good principles and morals and they want to come here to get ahead. Some come because they "want to take California back" as they feel they were here first and it is theirs. Some want to come here for a "free ride". The same can be said for other people and groups too. They feel the US owes them something and they want a free ride. These are the people I feel Obama is going to "enable" to continue "taking" from others whether it be the rich or middle class, and not contribute anything worthwhile to society. America seems to have lost pride, ethics, principles etc. Look at the widespread corruption. Look at how the story of a president in the White House with unscrupulous principles and morals was not only swept under the carpet, but his wife stuck by him after extreme humiliation and this man is sometimes referred to as a great man. It is pathetic. If Obama becomes president (and I am not saying McCain could do that much better), this Country is in for some real struggles; even the honest hard-working middle class citizen will find they have less money to live on. Those who want a free ride will drag down the lifestyle of even those in middle class through this redistribution of wealth idea that Obama has. By the way, I also feel that a lot of people with the same color of skin as Obama will align themselves with him and not really think of what Obama stands for or what will happen to a lot of people in the US because of this redistribution of wealth. It may make the US like a 3rd world country with no sign of a middle class anymore.
@DiDeCo (50)
This one is somewhat problematic. The reason being, that some time in the future money will mean nothing it will be services rendered that will be payment. Riches will be something of the past. People will come to realise that it is impossible to bring the money with them when they leave this earth. Furthermore, those that are of true vision, will take the light and beam it on all who see the future as humans being all equal.
@suspenseful (40316)
But while we are living on Earth, we do need money, and if we want to get enough to live reasonably well, we have to work hard, get a good education, and if we do not have a good education, work hard at what we do and save our money. And for some of us, our health depends on how much we have in financial wealth. You see the rich people are more slender and healthier because organic stuff is more expensive. As for being equal, is it right that everyone should get the same pay? That is communism.
@munhozmib (3852)
• Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hello, suspenseful. If I worked in a bad place, earning a low wage, of course I would like to earn as much as an executive. However, it would not be fair. Things should not be like that. There are people who worked hard to get where they are right now, people who really try their best and study hours and hours a day to earn what they earn. Others just get any job they find and do not worry about their studies. They should not earn the same ammount. Different jobs, different skills needed. Somebody who must work with his head, using a certain skill, should not earn the same ammount as somebody who only needs his body to earn money. Respectfully, Munhozmib.
@suspenseful (40316)
If you can get an education and get a good career, fine. If you cannot and you want to make more, either you get an education and upgrade your skills or you save what you can so you will be that store clerk who finally was able to buy a house rather than rent a room in a rooming house.
@anniepa (27248)
Really, there are gas station attendants in your area who think they should get paid the same as a doctor? If they really think that way I don't think all the education in the world will help them because they're pretty stupid. However, I do think a paralegal makes more than a secretary because you do need some education to be a paralegal but not that much to be a secretary. I know this post is meant to be an attack on Obama's tax policies but I'm afraid you don't really understand the whole premise. We've been under the Bush Administration with his massive tax cuts for the rich and for big corporations while the middle class haven't gotten any breaks at all. Obama believes that if the middle class were given some tax cuts also it would grow the economy upwards since the trickle down idea isn't working. Annie
@suspenseful (40316)
I am not thinking of a steno-secretary, but someone who is in charge of her bosses's business, makes the appointments, etc. I do not like Obama's idea, because there are few that make over $250,000 a year (Bill Gates and Steven Jobs being exceptions) so eventually that tax will go on the next category. Also is not McCain also giving tax breaks?
@katsmeow1213 (29039)
The problem is that eventually the rich will give up their jobs and go to a lower salary position. What is the sense in being a high paid professional if they're going to make the same income as someone flipping burgers at McDonald's? So we're going to lose a lot of doctors, lawyers, and any other high paid professional. This is going to hurt our economy. Sure it will help the poor, but then everyone will be poor and then where will we be without the rich paying the taxes?
@suspenseful (40316)
I remember hearing what happened in Russia when the Communists took over. If the rich was taxed more, then they will quit what they are doing. And it is not right to be greedy. There are ways of helping the poor, but not taking from the rich. After all Robin Hood for all his glamorous portrayal of giving to the poor was really a common thief.
@LittleMel (14051)
I do agree that those with better career and better education should get higher pay than others. Education itself isn't cheap, and being a professional isn't an easy thing. These people used to belong to some organization and if they ever make a mistake big enough they will lose their membership or even their clients. However I know that among labors there are some who have good education and yet never have the chance for higher degree or even get hired for the position they are suited for. It all depends on who is hiring, really. In my case I do have a degree from my homeland, which is not compatible here. I had worked as both labor and office clerk. But since I was no good in office politics, I am no longer interested working in the office. Now I enjoy having my small business and the only temp work I am doing is labor. It's hard work, less pay, but no politics aside from the temp agencies themselves. One didn't pay me properly, one has prideful staffs (I don't know why they are prideful, if they don't send us to work they won't get paid anyway...) but that's what office people are all about, so in a way I am hoping an educated labor will replace them someday so they could do better things than polishing nails
@stephcjh (32327)
I think we should all be paid equally if our job is just as hard as someone elses. We have to work as hard as they do though. You should get paid less wages if you are not a hard worker or miss days of work.
@suspenseful (40316)
It all depends on your education. Why should a doctor who works hard and has long hours be paid the same wage as someone who is working all day and overtime at a slaughter house? That is not fair.
@deebomb (15322)
wealthy people are wealthy because they work smarter than the poor people do. We all have the same chance in life and we have the right attitude we can become wealthy too. Wealthy people manage their money better than the rest of us do. I don't believe that any thing should be take from the wealthy to give to the poor. A waiter can become wealthy just as the Drs and lawyers do. He just has to learn how to do it. The other night on the news they spot lighted a man that sells vegetable peeler on the street corner. This man became wealthy just selling vegetable peeler. They showed his home which was opulent. He warehouses hie peeler in his home. He still sells vegetable peeler on the street corner because it is something he loves to do. I don't believe that he should be taxed more because he works smarter than I do. I shouldn't get paid the same as some one in a better position than me because I'm not as smart as they are..
@suspenseful (40316)
I never had a chance to be wealthy. I am not a natural sales person, and I love to write, but I am good at saving money and that is what they should do. If you make $10,000 a year and save your money, you will be better than spending it all and wanting a rich person to support you. Besides i love writing even though it is not good pay and was bad at chemistry, science, and math,so even if I wanted to be a teacher or a doctor, I would have not made it.
@laglen (19779)
I agree, with the distribution of wealth, there is no need or desire to work harder. Production slows down, prices go up, our dollar goes down and you lose that good old American spirit!
Obviously the people who ask that question are exactly where they ought to be..at the lowest level of the pay scale. Why? Because they do not have the intelligence to realize one has to be educated (which costs money) in a particular career field to earn higher salaries.
@suspenseful (40316)
That is what I think. They do not want to make the effort and they believe all the nonsensical propaganda that Russia put out when it was Communist. If you want to get the same amount of money as a doctor or lawyer has, you have to take the same long years at university, do the same type of practice, work under another doctor or lawyer and then you will get the same pay.
@chiyosan (30202)
i want to be paid according to what i deserve, to be honest i am not asking for more, just the right amount due to me.
@suspenseful (40316)
That is what I think. I do not want to take anyone else's money. If it were my birthday or Christmas and someone who is richer then I gives me some cash, that is all right and if some rich person decides to give everyone in my neighborhood one hundred dollars each out of the goodness of his heart, but not to force him or for me to ask him to hand over the money. And would it not be better for him to give it to charity?
@slickcut (8141)
Well i do not agree with what the store clerk,waiter....thought..Take a doctor for instance..He/she went many years to school,they did lots of internship, spent lots of money,stayed up night after night learning,expermenting,and put lots of their life into what they wanted to do,it is a very important job,they hold human lives in their hands,the years they have struggled to become what they are is worth their effort ,money and time..so they deserve a higher paying job,than a person that has not done that..People usually pick the profession that they love,and some jobs pay more and the more money,time & experience the higher the pay..It makes sense to me.I am not saying that all professions are not important,because they are but if you spend say a year learnng something ,like a hairdresser,its a short learned career..You could never make what a doctor makes,because the career that you have chosen is not a high paying job as a doctor.The higher your education the highter the profession the higher the pay..Everyone has choices,and if they love what they do,and it is not a high paying career then they cannot expect the same pay as a doctor or lawyer because they have done the time..In each career that you choose ,you can excell in that career..Like the haidresser,thats what my profession is..I went to college for a year,went to state and got my license after i passed their test,so i became a hairdresser..My teacher that taught me at college ,she was also a hairdresser but she chose to go back to college & get some more years of education to get a higher degree,so she became an instructor,i could have done the same thing,but i chose to just stay with doing hair..Well she made more than i did but she excelled in the profession that she chose ,where i stayed with just the hair...So i think the higher the education the more you should make,in any thing you choose.
@suspenseful (40316)
It is amazing, when I read those letters to the editor, how so many people think that if they just take a short course in their career, they should be paid the same as someone who spent years training for their career. If they complained about what they are making and want others to support them, why do they not work at it? If someone wants to be a doctor or nurse and loves medicine and cannot afford to go to University or College, that can't be helped, but someone who says that he does not want to take the courses because he cannot stand the sight of blood and then complains, he does not deserve to grumble about the doctor making over sixty thousand a year. (Oh excuse me if I got the doctor salary wrong.)
@jfeets726 (775)
This is what makes me uncomfortable about Obama. I also see it as a “take from the rich and give to the poor.” Personally, my family is in no way rich. I work from home part-time. I am trying to find full-time work at home, but I just made the switch last month when my daughter entered pre-k. Before that, I stayed at home with her and worked nights. My boyfriend (her father) has a decent job as a construction worker and the pay is good, but not great either. So, we are your average middle class family. I guess you could say that we are the people who would benefit from his tax plan, but it still bugs the heck out of me. It was my decision to stay home with my daughter and work part-time. I decided to stay at home working so that I could be home with her during breaks or if she was sick or to attend school functions. For that reason, I am still working part-time and making less. With that said, IT WAS MY CHOICE. I do not expect a handout because I am working less or making less money. It was my choice. Why should someone else have to pay for my decision? They shouldn’t. I also feel it will prevent some people from striving to be their best. Why would someone want to earn more money when they are rewarded for not? I once heard someone say that they thought this would kill the American dream (like with small business owners) and I think it will.
@suspenseful (40316)
I do not like the idea of Obama has of taxing the rich and distributing the money to the poor. The rich are taxed enough and they are the ones that start out the jobs. I cannot understand why killing initiative is a good way for the economy. If a rich person wants to donate money all right out of his pocket, but for the government to decide to take his money is not right. I like it better when one works for himself, but not to take money from others because he is too lazy. I belong to the middle class, and I do not believe that I should get more from the rich.
@carlaabt (3505)
That's one of my main problems I have with Obama. My family is not rich by any means. I work from home, and bring in about as much as I would in a minimum wage full time job. I have an education that would allow me to get a better job, but I choose to stay at home with my toddler instead. My husband is a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force. He would be making much more in the civilian world, but his benefits are great and he likes the job. We don't expect the government to give us extra money (in addition to the pay and benefits they provide because my husband is serving) just because we don't bring in as much money as someone who is a lawyer or doctor. If my husband got out of the Air Force and got a job doing the same thing in the civilian world, I also wouldn't want to be forced to pay a bunch of extra money to take care of someone who is working a minimum wage job. There are ways for anyone in the US to get an education if they want to. I got loans for my education. My husband joined the military, and has his associate's and is working on his bachelor's. The military is paying for it. My sister got grants that covered almost all of her education. There are ways if you are willing to work hard!
@kerriannc (4280)
• Jamaica
I never want to get the same paid as another who is in a higher position than me. I always know from secondary school days that to get good pay you have to study hard or if you don't want to take that route, you can either have a relationship with the supervisor/boss. So because I know that the later is wrong I stick to having a good education so that I can demands the pay I want. You see when a window washer want to get pay as a secretary it is because he/she was brought up with the wrong attitude so it is up to us to teach our children the right thing so that he/she has the right attitude to be successful in life. As for Obama taking from the rich to give to the poor I think that you guys get this all wrong.