October 24, 2008 11:58am CST
Do you give your dog rawhide bones and chews? My dog loves them, but my mom told me she read somewhere they could be dangerous. Both my boyfriend and I have been researching on the internet and haven't found a whole lot of negative information about rawhides. I did read that rawhide chews from foreign countries have had incidences of arsenic poisoning, and it is advised that you always buy rawhides made in the US. And I've also read that they can be a choking hazard... but then, so can anything you give your dog to chew! (and if you don't give your dogs things to chew on, they'll chew on your things!!) And I never let my dog chew on rawhides unsupervised. Have you ever had a bad experience with rawhides? Have you ever been advised not to give them to your dog?
26 Oct 08
Rawhide chew toys are most often associated with puppies and dogs, though rawhide toys are plentiful in the bird toy section of most pet stores. Rawhide is suitable for all animals except herbivores, as it is made of animal skin. Rabbits, who only eat vegetation, cannot have rawhide toys because their digestive systems cannot process them. This is a more sturdy kind of chew toy and it can take months for a small animal or bird to destroy. Examples of rawhide chew toys are twists and rawhide bones. Compressed rawhide can splinter when dry as well as break off in large pieces then swallowed, and thus are usually not recommended for large breeds of dogs. Chew toys made up of leather is not recommended as chew toys for dogs as they are not properly dissolved in the stomach and might cause blockage in the intestines.
25 Oct 08
I have been told that rawhides are dangerous for dogs. Now I have heard that you have to watch dogs when they have them especially the toy breeds. They can choke very easily on the knots at the end of the rawhide bones. I myself do give my dogs rawhides and they love them. Also my aunt is a breeder and she gives her dogs rawhides.
25 Oct 08
The best chewing item that you can give him is a new floor cloth which is folded and tied at both ends to make the form of a bone. I would not give him other type of bones. I read different articles which advice against such items. © ronaldinu 2008
• United Kingdom
25 Oct 08
I used to buy raw hide chews at my local pet shop for my dogs, Secret and Magic. It didn't occur to me that I should have checked which country they came from. I know that dogs can chock on some toys so I am always careful what I buy for my dogs to play with. Once my young son began to crawl around I didn't buy anymore raw hide chews. Thanks for the advice because I love my dogs and wouldn't want to harm them my friend.
25 Oct 08
Ive never been told not to give them no, but generally to give him something to chew on he has a bone from the butchers who sells them off really cheap. The first week we had him he had nothing to chew he didnt chew anything he shouldnt and he doesnt have a bone every day and inbetween having them he doesnt chew anything else infact he is really good cos ive two small children who tend to leave things lying around and he hasnt touched them once just walks round it all despite some of it probably looking like a good thing to chew lol!
• United States
25 Oct 08
You probably are better off with nyla bones or something like that. I do give my dog rawhide, but not that much of it. I think that the dogs do kind of chocke alittle bit on the bones. My dog doesnt seem to digest them very well. I dont give them too him that often.
24 Oct 08
I have never been advised to not give the dog rawhide chews. The dogs do not chew on anything that they are otherwise not supposed to if they don't get chew toys. The information that you present is of interest and I thank you for the caution. Last week, I gave our Russel Terrier a rawhide bone to chew on. Within minutes he had one end completely gone and blood all over it. The edges of the rawhide were very sharp. He didn't like us taking his rawhide bone away. I never knew that the rawhide chews can be dangerous as in arsenic poisoning. I will take better care in choosing a rawhide for our dogs. We get ours from Zellers. I have never witnessed our dogs choking on rawhide chews either. The dogs are never unsupervised while playing with or chewing on their toys or chews. Other than the slight bleeding the other night, I have never had a bad experience with rawhide chews but thank you for your warning.