how is this "change"?

@xfahctor (14128)
Lancaster, New Hampshire
I've heard this word tossed around a lot this election. "Change". Change we can believe in. Change we need. Change from failed policies. Bring change to washington. Do you feel you are better off than you were four years ago? Eight years ago? A decade ago? Fifty years ago? Well, why do you suppose this is? Is it because we elected a democrat instead of a republican for such and such office? Is it because we put a Republican in the white house instead of a Democrat? Have EITHER in the last 50 years brought us the "Change" this country needs? Have either made us truly better off? while both ahve done some good, both have also been a great detriment to thhis nation. Here we are, on the verge of a historic election. Everyone wants "change" Everyone is touting that this election is about "change". Well, here we are about to vote for one of the same 2 parties we have been electing for over a century now. Change? Wait a minute, isn't change supposed to be doing something DIFFERENT? How can anyone say the word "change" with a straight face if we are going to do the same thing all over again? How is electing the same people over and over again anything even closely resembling change?
@ClarusVisum (2163)
One candidate represents the same failed policies that have all but tanked this country. One does not. That's the change, and that's why Obama's out in front; people understand.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
So, doing the same thing over and over again is change?
No, it isn't. That's why electing John McCain would be a mistake.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
I guess, I should clarify. Yes, Obama would be a change from the last 8 years, which even I agrea have been a growing disaster. but, it changes nothing over the last 50 years or so. It's electing a different head of the same snake. I've become prettyy disiluusioned with both the big parties. My detest goes both ways, republican party included.
@rodney850 (2145)
Xfahctor, I am going to write something I don't believe you want to read but here goes. America will never, ever, ever go beyond the two party system! Why? Quite simple, really. America is so afraid that if they do decide to vote independant that the dominating party that has opposing views will get the advantage and so the circle goes unbroken. Just look at what happened when Ross Pea-rot took his vendetta to Goerge H.W. Bush! More people than I would have ever imagined went independant, most of them republican, and their worst fears became a reality. I believe it will be a cold day in he11 before you get that group in the independant column again!
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
It's a mind set that is going to have to change, but it is very easy to see circumstances ensuing after this election that could easily push a tired population over the edge. Happens every now and again in times of trial. Last time a "3rd" party rose and won the white house was 1860, the persident: Lincoln, the "3rd" party? The republican party. And no doubt,ross perot won us 8 years of Clinton, but it was a signifigant election in that not only did an independant get a very signifigant percentage, 13% shy of the nessesary popular vote, but it happened with out any real hot fuse ready to light like we have today.
@ronaldinu (12439)
• Malta
Sometimes even when you swap parties you would still get the same results. Let's admit it sometimes one party is less worse than the other. So you try to choose the best from the worst. Different parties, different people but they get the same results at the end of the day. © ronaldinu 2008