Girl Raped And Impregnated By Father Denied Abortion

By JJ
@myklj999 (33021)
Olney, Illinois
Thankfully, this doesn;t happen here; but if Sarah Palin had her way, it could be a real headline. Palin is against abortion for ANY reason unless the mother's life is endangered. So, McCain supporters, that is why I refuse to vote for him. If he had chosen another person... Meanwhile, Obama seems to think it is okay for live birth abortion babies to die in hospitals unattended, unwanted...to me that is the same as murder; that's why I can't vote for him. One issue; two candidates; both so wrong... Maybe in 2012 we'll have better choices...if we're still around to make them.
@lvaldean (1612)
Well that is actually not what Obama wants or thinks is okay. If you read what he has actually said and what he actually wants you would find that he does not want babies born "alive" and capable of sustaining life to be left unattended. He does not want babies born to be left to die. He support medical intervention if a baby is born "alive" during a late term abortion to save the life of a mother. I hope that you know that this is highly unlikely. Usually there are circumstances that with the pregnancy that put the mothers life at risk. But this is a different issue. The facts of this issue are quite different than what have been spread about with rumor and innuendo. So let me help you with some facts. Obama supported a bill in session that would have included language supported by the medical community and that included langauge from the federal statues. He agreed to that langauge and the original bill. What he did not agree to and would not agree to is a broadening of the language that would counter the original intent of Roe-v-Wade making it more difficult for women to receive legal early term abortions. The other thing he did not want added to the bill is "extradorinary" intervention where it was clear the "baby" would not survive with a quality of life or without long-term care if the parent(s) did not want that intervention provided, this only after a medical examination and agreement by medical providers that the "baby" would not be able to sustain life without extraordinary and long term measures. In the original language this was intact. In the changed language that Obama voted against the wishes of the parents were no longer taken into account and the "baby" was preserved no matter how difficult or painful their future would be. Additionally, the parent(s) would be responsible for their future care and well being for their remaining life despite their wishes for life support to be withdrawn. You and I have the right to DNR. You and I also have the right to make these decisions for our loved ones in certain circumstances. But the language of the bill that Obama would not support took this right away from parent(s) who are already in distress. No one, and I mean no one has a late term abortion except under very difficult circumstances. No one has an induced labor abortion late in the pregnancy where the child might potentially be viable except in very difficult circumstances. The language of the bill that Obama rightfully refused to support did nothing for women, men, or children that was not already covered under other laws. The only thing it did was attempt to undermine Roe-v-Wade.
@bobmnu (8160)
Most people who are anti abortion favor state laws and not a Federal Law. Most state laws have provisions for such cases. With a federal case if my son breaks his arm he can sit for hours in pain waiting for me to get to the hospital to sign for treatment but my 12 yera old daughter could get an abortion (far risker procedure than setting a broken arm) and I don't even know about it. We need this to be decided at the state level.
@eden32 (3976)
That's just not true. In most states require parental notification of some sort or a waiver from a judge if female under 18 states that notifying her parents would be unsafe for her. Your example using a 12 year old is pretty extreme & I would venture to say likely never happens- but using the age you used- a 12 year old of any maturity level can break his arm doing any number of things. Unless an ER staff thought you broke his arm, of course they would seek to notify you to come comfort your child & make decisions about his medical care. A pregnant 12 year old is very unlikely to be able to obtain a termination without the assistance of her parents or another adult- 12 year olds do not drive, do not usually have access to large sums of money and/or their insurance information, and are not able to take a few days off of school without their parents noticing. The rare case (if there has ever been any) of a girl who could pull all of this off without notifying her parents would be the girl petrified of her parents.
@Springlady (3986)
I am totally against abortion. Only God has the right to end a human life. I'm sorry this girl went thru what she did, but why punish the baby? Why deny the baby the right to a life? God can make good things happen out of the worst of situations. Trust in Him in all things! God bless!
@newtondak (3950)
I totally agree - for whatever reason, God wants this baby to come into the world - who knows what wonderful things this child might do!
u can say that because its going to someone else who will be going through those shames and all kinda things and not u..cmon people..i also hope that society treats the baby well when its born but u also knows that the chances are r too lil for that to happen.i think the girl can survive because she is a lil older but not the baby. i believe abortion is the right way to go .. i may like to add a few more but they can be offensive and i dont want to violate the rules(i havent studied the rules yet)
If you will put your trust in God, He can do anything! This child is loved by God just as much as any other child. God has a plan and a purpose for this child. Just trust in the Lord in all things no matter how terrible they may seem! Nothing is too big or too small for God! God bless.
@Taskr36 (13923)
"So, McCain supporters, that is why I refuse to vote for him. If he had chosen another person..." Dude, it's not like she has ANY ability to change the law to suit her views. She can't make laws. She can't overturn Roe v Wade. President Bush is pro life and after 8 years abortion is still completely legal. I don't agree with her view on abortion either, but I understand it. I really think people need to be more than single issue voters. It's not likely that you'll ever find a candidate that is 100% in line with your views, but you need to consider what issues will really be something that is controlled, or even influenced by a candidate. The number of people who share Palin's views on abortion are extremely minute so it could never become law.
@myklj999 (33021)
• Olney, Illinois
I really think people need to be more than single issue voters. Probably so. But for me to support a candidate that has Palin's views would be compromising my principles; I refuse to do that.
@flowerchilde (12534)
I feel sympathy for the girl in this story.. yet I'm not so sure that terminating the life of a preborn child is ever 'right' except when the mother's life is endangered.. I can't help but think adoption is far more humane, as all of us alive would rather be alive, than to have been terminated.. And pregnancy isn't forever, and isn't uncomfortable the whole time.. But the father! Boy o boy! I sure hope he gets the full extent of the law thrown at him!!
@Rosekitty (19396)
• San Marcos, Texas
My personal feelings about these issues could cause alot of people here to dislike me, but i feel its to each person and their families to discuss personal issues..NO ONE NOT involved should be able to tell you or me what we should do with our own bodies.. How would you like me to tell you how many children you should have? How would you like me to discuss what kind of sexually positions you only can do? Therefor the Government and those in Office shouldn't talk about issues like this in their campaigns because they don't know what kind of things women have to deal with behind closed doors, or children who are told to keep quiet cause if their dirty secret gets out they will be hated by all.. An abortion shouldn't be everyone's business..just as i choose what i want for anything i do..thats the same i feel anyone has the right to believe in what they believe but please don't preach to me and tell me its wrong..
@rodney850 (2145)
Myklj, "Palin is against abortion for ANY reason unless the mother's life is endangered. So, McCain supporters, that is why I refuse to vote for him." This is a cop out! There is no way Palin will have any say in Roe V Wade since she is only going to be vice-president. McCain is pro-life also so to say you would have voted for him if he had chosen someone else as his running mate is not very credible. McCain, if elected, will have much more say about Roe V Wade since he will probably get to appoint a couple supreme court justices. Just one other thought and that is a number. The number is 40 million. That is the number of chilldren murdered by Roe V Wade since 1973!
@Ravenladyj (22936)
The number is 40 million. That is the number of chilldren murdered by Roe V Wade since 1973! Hhmm and how many lives were SAVED since '73 thanks to Roe Vs Wade?? Interesting how no Pro Lifers think of THAT number..
@rodney850 (2145)
Not anywhere near 40 million and few if any innocents!
@katran (590)
Do you have the number of lives saved? I would like to know it. I bet it is miniscule. You know why? Because, medically, if the woman's life is in danger because of the pregnancy, they are going to let the mother decide whether she wants to save herself or the baby no matter what the laws are. No one is suggesting that you kill the mother to save the baby. Be reasonable.
@kenzie45230 (3560)
Everyone misunderstands McCain and Palin's abortion stand. They believe this should be a state issue. That's why they would like to see Roe v Wade repealed.
@eden32 (3976)
I don't misunderstand their stand at all. Southern states wanted slavery to be a state decided issue too. That's not acceptable. Our country's laws need to say clearly that all people have the right to absolute authority over their bodies. States can independently decide issues that only effect their state, but imo issues that effect individuals needs to be protected by federal law.
@PrarieStyle (2488)
Considering that the number of rape victims that get pregnant is very low because of the shock of it. And considering that I have a child from a rape, I don't think it's very unreasonable.
And why is it almost all the same people who fight for animal rights see nothing wrong with murdering babies?
@maximax8 (30066)
In some countries abortion is illegal. In one of these in Central America a 9 year old girl that was abused got pregnant. The government of that country allowed her to have an abortion even though it is against the law there in normal situations. I think that the abuser and the rapist should go to prison. An innocent baby could be adopted and given the chance. The girl was too young to go through birth so it was the most terrible situation. The government helped the girl because they thought an abortion would be in her best interests. I think that she was too young to agree on having an abortion. In my home country there is a cut off date, abortion is allowed up until 24 weeks pregnancy. There is a rule for allowing abortion later if the mother's life is in danger or the baby is disabled. I would never have an abortion but I respect other people's choices. Obama is wrong for thinking that is is acceptable for live birth aborted babies to be left to die. I read Gianna, a book about a lady that was aborted and lived to tell the story. It is a shame when a person sees something wrong with every candidate in an election. It is not the person's fault through and sometimes politic choices can be difficult. Good luck.
I myself is against abortion. But in regards to this candidates, I guess the candidates are trying to impress people with what they say but they do not think first about the said topic before they even open it to the public.
@subha12 (18452)
i think there are many opinions about the abortions. so if there is something like the mother only in triuble can go for it, then i can't say anything. but many people just use this to kill babaies.
@SaintAnne (5453)
It is so easy for outsiders to say that abortion is right or wrong. Why don't we put ourselves in the shoes of this girl and others that had the same fate and see if we can make such a statement right away? A woman has the right to choice. Who is going to take care of that child if she ends up raising her with hate or abandoning her for no one to take care of? Will all these anti-abortion supporters open their doors to all these kids and raise them as their own?
abortion is not acceptable for any case because the health of the women will be spoiled as well as the mind.
@dawnald (84075)
• Shingle Springs, California
There's always Libertarian...
@camomom (7535)
This is the only issue that leaves me confused. All the other issues are clear cut for me. I'm voting for the one that I agree with on the majority of them. I don't agree with abortion but I don't think the government should control what I do with my body and my child. If I were raped and got pregnant, I probably would have it done. I'm NOT pro-abortion, I'm pro choice. There is a difference. I also do not believe in partial birth abortion at all. I hope the powers that be make the right thing happen tomorrow. They sure didn't 8 years ago or 4 years ago. I just have to believe we went through the things we did for a reason, there had to be something we had to learn from it. What? I don't know but there has to be a reason for it.
@ronaldinu (12439)
• Malta
I do have strong views about abortion. I don't like to write about US politics which I don't feel knowledgeable about. However about abortion I do believe that it is killing of an unborn child whether it is the result of a rape or unplanned pregnancy. While a raped woman has the right to be respected, I don't believe that she has the right to kill the unborn child. Although the embryo is in her womb, it is an independent life from her. So who is going to defend the rights of the unborn child? © ronaldinu 2008
@savypat (20245)
You can vote and not choose a president, just skip that area. That way your vote counts for local and state issues. That's what I do when I can't stand either canidate. The main thing is to vote so we keep the privilage.
@newtondak (3950)
Both McCain and Palin have indicated that they do not believe in abortion, but they have also indicated that they are not and do not intend to impose those beliefs on other people.