I Wanna Do It...But I Don't Wanna Do It

By JJ
@myklj999 (63664)
Olney, Illinois
The person with the mask approached me. He was holding a knife. I knew he was going to cut me wide open, but I was still groggy from the effects of the drugs they had given me and I couldn't move. Then he bagan to slice my belly open... Okay, it hasn't happened yet, but that's a fair account of what I will be going through Wednesday morning when I go in for hernia surgery. I hate doctors, nurses, hospitals...that whole thing just creeps me out. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess. I just always associate hospitals with sickness and dying and death for some irrational reason. I know it's more a place of beginnings of life; more people exit hospitals alive than dead; I just can't help it. So all my friends, if you could maybe think about me Wednesday and send some calming thoughts my way, I sure would appreciate it. I'm gonna need all the help I can get. Do you have any irrational fears?
Hey Mike, I hate needles, medicine and anything that wants to take something from me, that's why I married a nurse. Try not to be too anxious, just relax and trust the doctors hands. We'll see you back in a few days, and post some pics, I do love the gory stuff. :)
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
No pics for a few days; I'm afraid to look myself right now.
Oh come on Quasimoto, it can't be that bad.
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
I'm not supposed to remove the dressing until Friday; then y'all can look at the stitch job.
@SaintAnne (5453)
I don't think fretting over a surgery you're going to undergo is considered irrational. I wish you a speedy recovery and okay, I will send good thoughts your way starting on Tuesday and onwards. I am still working through my fears of driving in the freeway. It's not that bad. I used to like to drive long-distance just to calm me down but lately, it's been stressing me out so I try to take the backroads. But there's no way I can do it if I want to go to San Francisco. I also feel iffy whenever I'm on a bridge. I like to go faster while on it but then if I go faster, I might go crashing into the water underneath.
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
Thank you SaintAnne.
@SaintAnne (5453)
I'm glad to hear that you're back and doing okay. Feel much, much better soon.
Good luck with your surgery. I know it can be frightening to undergo surgery. Go in with positive thinking. For me I have a fear of crowded places. If there are too many cars in a parking lot at a restaurant, I'd rather not go in. This is true when going to a supermarket or department store too. Freaks me out.
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
Thank you Elusive. And my condolences on your loss...
Thank you Mykl
@lvaldean (1612)
Buck up Buckaroo. It will be ok, really. I know how you feel I really do. I also despise hospitals, doctors, nurses, and all that goes with them. I think I have had a total of 22 hospital stays and 18 surgeries since my shooting, sucks. But each and everytime I walk out just fine, sometimes even better than when I walk in. I will keep my fingers crossed and you in my thoughts all day! I have no, not a single one, irrational fears. Lots of perfectly rational ones though.
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
I was walking a little slower coming out, but everything went great. Thank you.
Hello myklj999, is that an umbilical hernia? Don't worry about your phobia, you need to get rid of that bulge 'cos it is painful if a hernia repair is not done, it may interfere with your favorite chores. Do not think much of the hospital and the people working there, you are only going there for a purpose: to get rid of the bulge and nothing else. Just remain calm. We know that you are strong like Superman, you know that he fears no one, he becomes weak only if a Kryptonite's nearby but this time you are Superman to us and there is no such thing as Kryptonite in the hospital. Please keep in mind that your irrational fear of the hospital stuff is actually your greatest enemy. We know that you can kill your fears before it could eat you up whole. You will do nothing there for sure 'cos all you have to do is sleep like Snow White with the Seven Dwarves around you for a couple of hours pain-free and don't forget to dream of me, but please don't snore. =D Please be brave for us and make us proud. We will pray for your quick recovery and I am positive that you'll gonna get out of the roller coaster alive as soon as you get rid of the pestering bulge! Come back home to us here in myLot soon, we will be waiting for you. You gonna owe us a story of your OR adventures!
@LadyMarissa (12160)
Hernia surgery is not nearly as bad as it used to be. My 85 year old Dad had it done last year. It took him about 6 weeks to get back to normal. You're about half his age. So, you will be just fine. Know you will be in my thoughts & prayers.
Yes, I agree. He will do just fine!
@LadyMarissa (12160)
He should as he's in a LOT BETTER shape than my Dad was!!!
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
I made it through alive...don't like the way the meds cloud my mind though.
My irrational fear is heights. I can't stand them. When I worked at Kings Island, I couldn't even go to the top of the Eiffel Tower. I even get scared when my guy friend horses around and picks me up. I was beside myself the few times that I flew to and from New York. I don't know why I am so scared of heights, but down near the ground is the place for me. I am sure you will be okay Myk. That's an outpatient surgery. We'll see you the next day, unless you are a freak for pain and then you will be back on MyLot as usual the same day you get the surgery.
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
Let's put it like this: when I crushed the end of a finger off in the oilfield, they gave me a scrip for Vicodan. I took one pill the first day and gave the others away.
Sounds like me lol. But my reason is that I can't take Vicodan, allergic to the codiene. But in that case, we will see you after the surgery lol.
Yeah, it sucks when the strongest thing the doctor can give you for any pain is an 800mg ibuprofen.
@riyasam (16567)
oh thats it!!!!!your title suggested something else!!!!!the operation would not be so horrid as you described.it will be over in a matter of 15 minutes,if the operation is done by an experienced surgeon.get well soon.
@riyasam (16567)
2 hours???????what?????i hope you had an hernia operation only??and 8 months has no connection with the time factor of the operation.
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
Are you a surgeon? Because you do not seem to know much about hernia surgery... [i]Open Herniorrhaphy: In this approach, the doctor makes a single long incision over the hernia, removes the protruding sac if necessary, and sews the torn muscle closed. Man-made mesh may be applied to the inside of the muscle wall to further strengthen it. The operation typically takes between 1 and 2 hours. Laparoscopic Herniorrhaphy: This version of the procedure is accomplished through two small incisions, one in the abdomen, the other close to the hernia. With the aid of a tiny lighted scope, the surgeon uses miniature, remote-controlled surgical instruments to make the repair from within the abdomen. Like an open herniorrhaphy, the procedure lasts 1 to 2 hours. [/i] http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc6008.htm
Hi myklj999, Everyone feels like that about hospitals, but be positive because they are going to make you feel a whole lot better and you would as good as new, beside you will be able to flirt with some of the nurses, you will be fine. Chin up. Tamara
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
Too sore to flirt, but at least it's over with now.
@pyewacket (44032)
LOL--Those first few sentences sound like the great beginnings of a novel... Will do my thoughts and prayers will be with you on Wednesday and that everything will go smoothly. Knock on wood, I haven't needed to go into a hospital for any health needs since 1980
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
Thanks pye. Everything went well, and I'm at home taking it pretty easy now.
@Barbietre (1439)
My husband had that surgery in an outpatient clinic. It was veryquick and he was home the same day. He mangaged quite well with the meds they gave him and had very little pain after it. I just will tell you do not rush doing things afterwards. Oh boy do I have fears, mine is suffocation. I can not swim with my face in the water atall. I want to learn to snorkle and have tried a few times while we were on a cruise and I still freaked out. I hate having this phobia and may have to see a hypnotist to cure it.
@sharra1 (6341)
I hope the surgery goes ok. I have a real fear of hospitals and surgery especially. I cannot even stand watching hospitals on tv. I am not so sure it is irrational at all. What about those infections you hear of that only happen in hospitals. They are a good reason to be scared of the places. I am not scared of ordinary GP's but you have to wonder if you can trust them. They have been taught lots of stuff but what if they get the diagnosis wrong or miss it altogether. My mother would not go near a doctor not matter how much we pleaded with her but knowing what killed her in the end I doubt a doctor could have made any difference. We thought she was being irrational but it was her choice.
@niqbloo (62)
Haha I love the opening of this topic. I had no idea what you were talking about at first. You shouldn't be so afraid of the doctors though. My mom is a respiratory therapist so she's around doctors and patients all the time, and she always says that it is extremely rare for something to go wrong on such a normal procedure. But one of my irrational fears is breaking my back! I don't even know why, but if I'm ever about to do something risky its always in the back of my mind. How stupid is that?
@rsa101 (32580)
I guess you will be fine in the coming days. I am pretty sure that the doctors will do their best to make your operation okay. Do not worry so much I guess you have your family that will be there to love and support you all the way through this. Think hospital as a place were you can rest especially in your case that you need to be operated. A place where you would not worry that no one can help you in cases where there is an emergency or need medical attention. Do away with those connotation that is negative and I am pretty sure you'll enjoy your stay there while you are recuperating.
@annjilena (5620)
don,t worry it,s going to be ok think poistive it be over and done soon and you can think about getting well soon.so my prays are with you remember you have friends here rooting for you to be ok and praying everything is ok be blessed
Hi Mike, I am so glad that you got your surgery date in place. I will be praying for you. I know that your a bit nervous that is normal.. But you will do fine, and after a few weeks. You will be getting around pretty good. Make sure you get your pain meds right away, you will need them.. Make sure that you put yourself on a pain med schedule, so you over over dose. Keep us updated please!
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
Thank you Louise.
I did NOT expect to see you back online so soon. I am glad that your doing well! * Big Hug!* Now get better!!!! I am glad that Carmel is there to take good care of you, He will certainly help lift your spirits! Please write down when ya take pain meds so you do Not over-dose.
@Rosekitty (19377)
• San Marcos, Texas
Michael...I just online and saw this and understand how you fel..I know you aren't into religious stuff, but i still pray for friends and send healing thoughts plus light candles for all i care about and hope you don't mind allowing me to do this for you.. I know its the waiting and wanting it over to get on with things, but just think how much better you will be afterwards..so think of that and if you are really good i can come and be your nurse after.. Huggs and kisses
@Rosekitty (19377)
• San Marcos, Texas
should have proofed this..lol..I got online and feel..
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
Thanks kitty. Carmel just came in to say hi to me...
@James72 (26828)
I feel the same about Dentists mykl. The very thought of even stepping inside a Dental Surgery sends chills up my spine and when I do eventually go, I hate every second of it. You will certainly be in my thoughts on Wednesday and I wish you all the best with the operation. Try to focus on how you are going to feel in a very short time AFTER the operation as I know you have been waiting for this procedure for some time now. It will be a short period of discomfort followed by many, many years of a long seated condition being gone once and for all! Small price to pay I reckon! All the best mate. Oh. and one last thing...... SPONGE BATHS mykl! SPONGE BATHS!!!
@riyasam (16567)
somehow if someone tells me to go to dentist,it gives me shivers.i can go anywhere in the world but not to dentists.
@tessah (6620)
first darlin.. yer fear isnt an "irrational" one. so you can stop beating yerself up for that. *hugs* surgery.. ANY surgery,even if you was gettin a boob job, holds a bit of risk to it.. being frightened of that risk, isnt irrational or unfounded. will you be aiight? yes, you will be.. and youve been waiting for this for such a long time now to be able to feel better. as useless as it is to say take a breath and try to relax.. do it anyway, and try to focus on how yer going to feel after this is all over. *hugs again* i will keep you in my thoughts from now throughout wednesday. all will be well dear friend
@tessah (6620)
feh he DID wear a dress in his avatar for a bit.. so who knows
@cream97 (29142)
Yes, getting cut and being put to sleep. I think that this is very scary.. I am scared to go through with this procedure, I think that I may never wake up after the surgery.. I have an Hernia Disc in my back. I won't be needing surgery at all.. I am only getting injection shots in my back.. I hope that all goes well for you.. I know that you are scared.. I would be too. I don't want any cuts on my body either. No incisions! It is bad enough that I have had to get it done, after I had my baby.... I wish you no pain on that day..
@myklj999 (63664)
• Olney, Illinois
It's over now; I still have to wait for everything to heal, but I'm back home. I had an especially nice nurse, and the whole team was pretty friendly, so It wasn't as bad of an experience as I thought it might be.