Will you spend less on Christmas this year?

@raydene (9874)
Hello Friends How has the economy treated you? Will you still have money for Christmas? If we have each other, a warm house, and a decent meal I will be happy. Have a wonderful day Raydene
@jonesy123 (3950)
Yes, we'll make yet another cut this Christmas. We have been cutting down a lot in the last two years already. We don't want the kids to get the impression that Christmas is just for presents anyway. My MIL goes overboard and my husband has been used to a sea of presents. I never got much, just one or two toys I really wanted and a book or two. When I was in college my parents put away with the gift giving because they didn't want us kids to struggle to buy presents for them. It was so much nicer to just get together and celebrate the reason for the season. My husband has slowly come around and seen the light so to speak...
@jonesy123 (3950)
Forgot to add, I wish my MIL would see it our way, too. I'd rather just have presents for the kids under the tree and not have to find something for the adults, too. I never quite know what to do with what I get from her anyway. I might get one thing I want and twenty I have no use for, lol.
@gabs8513 (48710)
I have not spent as much as I used to when the Children where little so it will be the same that I will spend this year I am a bit lucky I managed to pay of another Bill this year so that will go towards Christmas It is hard though, but I will not let this spoil Christmas xxxxx
@Savvynlady (3685)
More than likely I will since I'm not working or anything. I would buy Christmas stuff due to exchanges at work. Now I dont have anyone to exchange with except the girls and as far as I'm concerned, they are old enough to understand what's up. I wish I could. I wish I could do for others. but it isn't possible.
@bbsr13 (4198)
Hello,Raydene! I am not a christian.So observing Christmas does not arise.However as a Hindu we had observed some expensive festivals in last month.Actually I faced lot of financial problem last month and yet it is continuing this month.The present financial crisis has badly effected not only me but also every household of middle and the downtrodden class.We have also other festivals to be observed this month.I don't understand how I will manage life in this month.thanx.
@hildas (3031)
Yes, well said, A good meal will even be hard to purchase this year. What a mess the world is in, but I think it has taught a lot of us to spend our money more wisely. I have cut back big time. I am not buying luxuries and have been purchasing a lot of non-brand foods (which I have found great actually). Paying for the oil bills to heat my home has become a stuggle too, so having a warm house on Christmas day will mean a lot more to me too, than presents. I have told my Children, Santa is having it tough too this year and they seem fine on only getting a few things. Having my family with me this year for a nice meal will be lovely, and I have told everyone to just look after the Children. It has made me realise what Christmas really is all about, apart from religious aspects it has become a huge commercial racket, so family is all that will matter and making sure they are happy, warm and fed.
@anniepa (27280)
The economy really sucks for me like it does for most people so there really won't be much money for gifts, A but, like you, I'll still have a great Christmas because I have my family. I know I'll have a warm house and a good meal and I'll get hugs and kisses from all of those I love so what else could I ask for? Annie
@maximax8 (30066)
I have begun to buy Christmas presents and so far have presents for my children, my nephews and one of my nieces. I went to the shop and there was an offer buy two toys get another free. So I got two Star Wars toys for £20 each and then got a Snow White free. I am thinking what to buy the adult members of my family. I will spend as little as possible but have to get presents they will like. One year I asked my sister what she would like for Christmas. "Peace for the world" was her answer. I wish I could have given her that present! The economy downturn hasn't be good for traveling. I hope that you have a delightful Christmas.
@suruchi86 (1873)
No it can't be a proper celebration for me as I'm finding it very hard to repay my loan installments while my earnings have reduced.
@royal52gens (5380)
I recently lost my job. So Christmas spending will be greatly reduced. I will probably make a lot of my own crocheted gifts. Hand crafted gifts seem to be well received by my friends and family anyways. My children are even getting into making gifts for their friends. They make necklaces with matching bracelets, anklets and earrings. We only have a few weeks left to make what we need for sharing. Then we will spend the holidays with friends and family. Spending time with people is very enjoyable.
@winterose (39897)
I haven't spend anything on christmas in many years so it will not be so much different this year.