I Have A Special Needs Dog!

We have always known our one year old, mix lab dog was a little different. But now we know he is really got issues. We bought a new refrigerator last week, and he is literally petrified of it. He would not eat, drink, or come out of the kids playroom. After 48 hrs we called the Vet. She said it sounds like he has some anxiety issues, and may need to see a specialist. It has been 4 days, and he is slowly improving. He will come to the living room, but just glares at the refrigerator.
@camomom (7536)
Poor puppy!!!I feel bad for him. I'd have to take him to the specialist. Hope he feels better soon.
He is actually feeling much better. He was able to come out of hiding and eat yesterday. He even played a little. We will see how he does today.
@camomom (7536)
Good. I'm glad to hear that. Hope today goes well for him.
@LadyMarissa (12160)
Maybe the new fridge is making a really high pitched sound that hurts his ears but you can't hear it. I have 2 Labs now & my last dog was a Lab. They are very sensitive animals & know things we don't know. So, don't minimize his fears so quickly. Another new fridge would be cheaper than a doggy psychiatrist.
I didnt think I was minimizing his fears. Just stating what he was experiencing and what we were experiencing. It does sort of make a humming sound, that the other did not. My husband and kids say they cant hear it, but I can. So maybe the noise does bother his ears.
@LadyMarissa (12160)
You might complain to the store where you bought it & ask them to replace it with another one. Maybe the next won't hum. If they refuse to replace it then tell them you want to return it as you're not satisfied with it. I would think they would prefer to swap out than lose the sale!!!
@Anne18 (11034)
I have never heard of a special needs dog. How awful. I hope you are able to sort him out properly so he can rnjoy his life as much as possible. Please keep us updated as to how he is getting on etc, I'm sure we all want to follow his story. Yuor friend Anne18
The vet said he has some kind of high anxiety disorder, that actually is not uncommon for Labs to have. Since he is a mix breed, and we are unsure of the other breed, that breed could be high strung too, with anxiety issues. He is much better this morning. He came out of our bedroom, to go out, and just stopped and stared at it for a minute. He ate, and went out, and was his usual mischevious self. I hope this has passed, and at least we will know how to deal with it in the future.
@kaka135 (14129)
Perhaps he has experienced something previously, about the refrigerator? Or because it's a new fridge, and he hasn't really know what it is, so he feels scared about it? My dog will bark at balloons or some moving objects, but when I hold it and show it to her, then she's fine. Hope your dog will get well soon.
We have had him since he was 8 weeks old, so I am not sure about when he was real small. He is slowly getting used to it. The vet said to just ignore the behavior, baby him a little and he will come around. I hope so, I feel so bad for him