What makes dogs want to raid the litter box??

@jovimom (1576)
I can't get either of my dogs to stop digging cat poop out of the litter box! My husband calls them "milk duds" They get plenty to eat, so it's not because they are hungry! They get cat litter all over my carpet when they drag the poop out too No matter how many times I get onto them, they continue to do it. Our cats litter box is in the downstairs bathroom, I can't shut the door all the time...
@carmelanirel (20979)
Oh, I hate to say it, but I feel like an expert on this..Unless you feed your cat forbid or meat tenderizer with MSG to make the poo undesirable, the only way to stop this is to get a cat box with a lid..I got one at our local humane society for only 3.00 and I made sure the lid fits on tight..(I have a White German Shepherd, so I needed to know she couldn't knock the lid off easily) Since then, only the cat has been in her box..:)
@jovimom (1576)
Unfortunately there is a lid on it, my littlest dog just crawls right in the opening for the cats, YUCK! My middle sized dog just digs some out and takes off with it. They are such nasty doggies!! My cats eat mainly dry food, so it would be hard to mix anything in with it, but thanks for the advice
My dog also eats dry dog food, so if your cat will eat her food with meat tenderizer with MSG, maybe that will stop them. (Maybe you can mix a little meat fat with it to get your cat to eat it) Then after so much time, your dogs will hopefully ignore the cat box.. Or another option, cats are climbers, dogs are not..Put the cat box up high and hopefully your cat won't mind having to climb to use it..
@jovimom (1576)
2 very good ideas, might have to think on that. thanks for the advice and happy thanksgiving!
I have been told that they are attracted to cat poop because cat food is so much higher in protine, and the dogs are attracted to it for that reason. I trained my little dog not to do that, but my older dog I was never able to keep her out of it. I feed the dogs good food so thats not it. My older dog passed in January so she didn't have to go through all the mess of loosing my home.
@jovimom (1576)
I sure wish I could train my dogs to leave it alone! They are pretty set in their ways, so I don't know how well training would work, probably would've been better if I would've tried when they first started doing it
@relundad (2311)
I don't like cats. Never had one. But I have heard many people that own both cats and dogs say this before. I on many occassions inquired about why this happens. Almost everyone said the same thing. They said it was because cat poop is comes out basically the same way it went in. They say that its pretty "rich". I have never seen cat poop so I don't know. But they say that other animal poop is like poop to dog's, while cat poop is like cat food. Seems pretty weird to me, but this is what I have heard on many occassions.
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah, something about cats not digesting their food all the way. I've definitely heard that before, it's just so gross!
@neededhope (1085)
Well I'm not sure what to tell you. The only thing I would consider doing is on the door on the bathroom to put a little cat walk way like a little door that they can only fit into. But of course this only works if your dogs are not small. It's at least an idea for you. If I find out how you can really get them to stop I'll let you know. Plus you dont' have it the worst. My sister her dogs use to take out her pads from her period and rip them apart. It was really disgusting because they were attracted to the blood or something. So just remember so things maybe even worst than that.
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah one of my dogs is small so that wouldn't work. I know my sister's dogs used to do that too, so gross! I appreciate your response