Let them be just kids

Australia
I am one of those people that belive that kids should have normal childhood with lots of fun, games, toys, love and freedom (to a point). I am suprised that so many people now days are pushing their kids too much. I just learned that there are programs to get 2 year olds and 3 year old ready for kindergarden. What on earth is that for. My understanding of kinred is that kids go there to get ready for prep school which then gets them ready for school. Now why dont we have a program to get kids ready for the program before kinder or am I too late in sugesting this because people are doing that? why dont we start when they are born. I am sure that kids will be fine and do great if they start school at 5-6 instead of 2. I know its great when a 3 year old can read and a 4 year old knows what is 7*9 but only if its fun for them. I never force my son to do anything we play educational games a lot and he loves them. I tried the alphabet it didnt go well so I am not pushing it he is 5 he will learn soon enough. What is your oppinion on this?
@lilaclady (28236)
I agree with you, the days in your childhood should be all fun with learning thrown in, I feel sorry for kids that don't have that innocent fun loving time, with not too many pressures...
I had a friend 1 year younger then me and her parents made her practice piano since she was 4 and I would go to play with her or call her outside to play and she was almost never allowed because she had to practice piano. I was 5 and I felt so sorry for her. And when she started school she had so many extra things to do that she never had time to play. I would never do that to my child. You are child only for a very short time in your life.
@lisa0502 (1726)
I would have to agree with you. I never put my kids in any program before kindergarten. I do not think that they need this. I mean what has happened to sitting with you kids playing games teaching them about colors or numbers? My kids are older now and they are doing just fine in school.
My son used to go to a play group and that was just games and lots of fun and I am sure he had fun as well :)))) mummy did as we had a chance to sit down and talk. My son learned his colours by him self he just came to me one day and told me that this was this colour and that was that colour it took me a minute to realise what he was doing. As before that I would try and teach him but everything was blue green or red to him :))))) Are you trying to say that your kids turned out normal without all these programs and expencive classes (I swear "profesionls" think we are abusing our kids for not forcing them to be grown ups as soon as they start walking)