Child abuse - A child called it

@ronaldinu (12439)
Malta
Recently I read the book of Dave Pelzer - A child called it. The link is to a you tube video where Dave tells of what he had to pass through his childhood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4eWV-LiAzM. ou must watch it and re think before even hitting your child.
I read all of his books and his tale is really tragic.
@syankee525 (6293)
WOW.. i feel for children that are being abuse, i've had open my heart and my house to kids in the time of trouble many times.
@ronaldinu (12439)
• Malta
It is sad to hear about child abuse. It is sickening.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I am speechless. I mean I am horrified by what I seen happen, we don't see it out in the open to much due to laws and such. His mother had to have had something wrong with her to do something like that. I am so against hitting kids and even spanking because I know what it can do because I lived through it with one of my moms husbands my step father. So that is why I don't hit or spank. I want to cover my eyes and tell myself that I didn't see or hear this..but I guess that is the chicken ways out. We all need to help of we see a child getting abused. We can't always think that someone else will help them or maybe later..maybe later might never come as we bury it in our brains trying to forget it. Maybe his story will help others to seek help.
@rusty2rusty (6760)
• Defiance, Ohio
I have read this book already. I did this when it first come out soem years ago. It also comes ina series with two other books. I know when I read the book I cried. As I also grew up in the 70's and went through abuse from my stepmother. David was right when he says back than people looked away at the way someone disciplined their kids. Whether right or wrong, it was just the way it was. Til laws were created to change it.
@mindym (979)
This book is one of my favorites. When I first read the book a few years ago, I could not put the book down. Dave Pelzer has written other stories too...The Privilege of Youth and A Man Named Dave. He is an excellent author!
@mychattime (1013)
I have read several true life books regarding child abuse, I know of the book you are talking about but haven't read it yet. It is amazing how people get through abuse and turn their lifes around if at all possible. I find these books so so interesting, it makes me realise just how lucky I am now and was throughout my chidhood, however I don't know how anyone can treat their childrent he way these people got treated!
@kun2349 (23464)
It's really hard to differentiate what's discipline and abuse.. Normally both of them are excuted in the form of physical force, and the difference is, abuse is much more serious, and it happens always, ranging from several times a day to once a day.. Discipline a child is good, but once one gets over the limit, it will become abuse.. SO in short, i should say, abuse is when one does not know when to stop.. I believe alot of parents do feel heartache too when they beat their child.. But too bad, parents cant control their own emotionals and it's always recommended they go for counselling, in order to prevent abuse..
@winterose (39897)
I would love to read the book but I am afraid that it would really make me ill, I can't stand to hear about such horrible, horrible deeds
Hi ronaldinu, I just cannot understand some mothers, some people don't deserve to have children, my heart is so sickened by all this child abuse that is going today and the failers of the so called social worker, this systems have broken down and more and more children are suffering or will die. Tamara
@spoiled311 (5502)
hi ronaldinu! well, hitting a child in the name of discipline is not wrong. it becomes wrong when it becomes a parent's way of venting his or her anger--then it is no longer discipline. i have read somewhere that they have an assigned "rod"--a light piece of wood that is symbolic of discipline. but in order for it not to be abused, it is placed in a top shelf, so that it is not easily taken out when hot with anger. these parents usually wait for themselves to cool down and then explain to the child what he did wrong and why he deserves to be punished. and i think they only have a limit for the number of hits on the behind. the child then understands his mistake and somewhat, it is the humiliation and the memory of getting punished that makes him behave--not the pain inflicted on him, because the hits are no longer painful because it is not done with the force of anger. i really like that story. and of course, i follow what the bible says, "spare the rod, spoil the child." i don't want a spoiled kid. i would want to raise a discipline God-fearing child. take care and God bless you! merry christmas!
@hmkoct5 (2065)
Thank you for this insightful information. I would never and have never hit my children. I think there is a better way. Hitting a child teaches them that it's ok to hit others. I don't believe in modeling behavior I wouldn't want my children to do.