Snow in Las Vegas and Los Angeles! What?

@dawnald (84070)
Shingle Springs, California
Yesterday I flew down to the Los Angeles area for a company Christmas lunch. I thought I'd have a breakfast burrito at the airport and then catch my flight but I was running a bit late, so I just got a banana. When I got to the gate, I saw that there was a 20 minute flight delay. Oh well, not worth going back for the burrito. But then it was an hour delay and finally an hour and a half. Turns out that it was snowing in Las Vegas yesterday and that's where my plane was coming from. I guess they really don't know how to deal with snow in Las Vegas. That plane did get off the ground but they canceled the other flights that were after it. Flying down I got a great view of the Sierras all covered with snow, and gorgeous view into the Yosemite Valley and then there was snow all the way to Los Angeles. I never did go and get my burrito but I did at least get to Burbank airport in plenty of time for lunch, so I thought. Got to Hertz and they asked me if the trip was business or pleasure. So I said business. Big mistake, I think. They told me they had no cars right now, so I'd have to wait. After the three other people already waiting for cars. And yet they were letting some people get cars. Maybe I should have gone back up and said "changed my mind, it's a pleasure trip." lol Anyway I got my car 1/2 hour later and made it to lunch late but before the food got there. Got to visit with all my buddies too! Didn't get much work done though. On the way I got a nice view of the North SF Valley with a bit of snow. And coming back I got a great view of the San Gabriels with even more snow. Snow in LA and Vegas, imagine that? Reverse global warming anybody? PS Hour and a quarter flight delay going back too. Oh well, got me a 'best of 2008' People magazine and caught up on useless stuff...
@brian_s (570)
Wow, that is strange. That's news to me. I hadn't heard of that, and I don't remember ever hearing about it snowing there. I remember being in Florida when it was about 34 degrees at night, and that was a strange feeling.
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
That's pretty normal here in winter but I can see how it would be strange in Florida!
@Mike07 (505)
What happened to global warming? This has been the coldest year I can remember since I was a kid and when I see it snowing in Vegas it makes you wonder.
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
Actually the cold got here pretty late. I don't think it's been colder than normal in Sacramento. But there certainly have been a lot of strange weather patterns all over the world!
@JenInTN (27547)
Wow! I heard about this snow. When I came to California,I rode with my family from La Habra CA to Las Vegas. To ride through the desert was amazing! I can't imagine it with snow! Unreal! I wish I could see it just to say I had. Remember next time your trip is pleasure.lol.
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
Except if it were covered with snow, the roads would probably be closed! Yep all my trips are pleasure trips from now on!
@webeishere (36353)
There has been snow in these areas before so it is no schock actually. It is just odd and the news goes wild reporting it. I mean there are severe storms all over yet this gets top billing on some national news stories? Spokane gor almost 2 feet in a 24 hour period the most ever since records were kept. Now that's vwey newsworthy. But I can only imagine the people in those areas seeing and having to travel in snow where they SLEDLOM get any at all. Odd. I am awaiting a nice storm here in Minnesota with a possibi;lity of nearly 8 inches in my area. I love the snow. HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
I've been hearing about Spokane. My brother lives there and he sent an e-mail asking us to rescue him. I suppose LA gets a lot of attention because Hollywood is there among other things. Snow in the mountains around LA is no big deal, but down in the valleys and almost to the ocean is quite unusual. And since you love snow, you are welcome to keep it. lol
@wheel416 (1019)
Well, since I'm sitting here in Ontaro, Canada with my blankie and cup of tea. I have officially started my winter hibernation. As I am sitting here typing this message to you this snow is piling up outside in my back yard. Not that much, at the moment really, but I just starting we are expecting at least 6-8 inches in my area tonight. I wish, that I could package up some of my snow for all you people who marvel at having it snow where you live. I hibernate from this time of year until spring as it is just not safe for me to go out in the ice and snow because they don't clear the sidewalks properly where I live. So, I'll be here Mylotting... until the spring lol
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
You can send some for the kids to play with in the backyard. They will appreciate it! For me, I'd rather be in Hawaii chasing brightly colored fish!
@teka44 (3423)
• Brazil
Hi dawnald. I have seen it on TV. It is really funny, Los Angeles and Las Vegas with snow!!! Well, living and learning. All is possible in this world. But if I wouldn't see I wouldn't not believe it.
@dawnald (84070)
• Shingle Springs, California
I lived in LA until 3 years ago and it's not that uncommon to see snow in the hills, but not down in the valleys. When I was in 6th grade it snowed but it melted as soon as it hit the ground. Then in the late 80's or early 90's we actually got some that stuck for about a half day or so. But it's a rare thing, for sure!