So I Was Thinking,.. Yeah I Know It Can Be Dangerous

Anyway I have been thinking about all these green things people talk about. It all sounds really wonderful. But the one that really has me baffled is the cars that run on water rather than gas. Initially it sounds great, WOW even. Then I got really thinking about it, and how can this be good for the planet. If we run cars on water, and some places already have water shortages, so what do we do when all the water is gone. That does not sound like a good plan to me. Plus if you are actually lucky enough to not have to pay for your water, how long will that last. I guarantee not long. So we pay more for water instead of gas, not sure that is a good idea either. It is probably cleaner though. So then I get to my last point, what about all the taxes, our government collects off of gas. We just get rid of every public program there is, fix no more roads, have no more police, ambulance, etc Do we really think this is a good idea? What do you think?
@stealthy (8188)
First off there is no car that runs on water, so your concern in that area is unfounded. The closest to it is using ethanol made from corn since it takes about a 1000 gallons of water to end up with 1 gallon of ethanol that comes from corn. Extreme environmentalist, who are short sighted as usual, have gotten the majority in Congress to not only subsidize ethanol from corn but to mandate it. This has led to enormouse increases in the cost of food, the use of water and water pollution from the fertilyzer run off. It is not even a break even from the environmental standpoint and cost much more than gas. The extreme environmentalist did something similar when they brought the nuclear power industry to a halt a long time ago which led to ever increasing use of coal for power generation and the accompaning air pollution which is their excuse for ethanol from corn which will lead to water pollution and water is already rapidly becoming a scarce comodity. And Congress just keeps being swayed by these environmentalist because they can't look beyond the current polls and have no technical understanding or foresight.
I hate to be disagreeable with you, but I saw it on the news. There were a few that had been converted to run on water. It is not mass produced, but I have read and heard quite a bit of buzz about it. I agree with you, that it is not a good idea, and will cause more problems than good. As to the coal I heard Obama say several times he wants to use clean burning coal. I have never even heard of such a thing. Coal is dirty, always has been, and I do not believe it can be made to burn clean.
@stealthy (8188)
You can't always beleive everything you hear on the news. The only way a car could run on water itself would be to have some large capacity of stored electric power to split the water into hydrogen and oxygen and then burn the hydrogen which would be fairly dangerous; or use the hydrogen in a fuel cell but the output of the fuel cell would not be enough to split the water so why not just use the electric power to run the car to began with rather than to break up the very strong bonds between hydrogen and oxygen that exist. Now I'm not a chemist but I am a physicist and I know there is no car that just runs on water by itself.
Good question, why dont they
@lilaclady (28236)
yeh you are right, maybe it would be a better alternative to turn our wate water into water for cars rather than expecting us to drink our own waste, i think a lot of these people are just automatically expecting the drought to finish but what if it doesn't, it is all a bit of a worry....
That is true, how can they know for sure when the drought will end.