Do We Always Need Reason for a Friendship?

@margaux08 (1094)
Yesterday my friend and I had a heated argument about a very simple thing - friendship. It all started with just a simple text that grew into a discussion.. to a debate...to an argument. It was not intended to be that way, however, probably, in an effort to win the other, unfortunately, the discussion went out of hand. (Thank God, we're okay now.) The thing is, for me Friendship is very precious. And reasons are needed to have a certain person be your friend. My point is that, there is a certain attribute, or quality, or something that this person has done - enough reason for you to befriend him/her. So goes the famous quote: "Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are." So it is necessary to have reasons to start a friendship. But accodring to my friend, starting a friendship is just a plant that slowly grows.No reasons are necessary to start a friendship. I got his point, but initially, almost everything is based on reasons and starting a friendship is not an excuse. It took us probably more than 10 hours ranting on this topic, since both of us do not want to be swayed. Fortunately, after exhausting all our reasons, we just reached the conclusion that we just have to maintain our friendship. (Again - another reason to maintain a friendship) Do you think we need reason/s to start a friendship?
@kerriannc (4280)
• Jamaica
I believe that friendship are precious too. Sometimes you will see persons has long lasting friendship but it works with respect and so that is what you and your friend has done to continue yours. Disagree to agree. Your friend does not see that a friendship need a burden or a attachment and this is the reason he is against what you are putting across. Yes friendship are precious but it should not have a baggage added to it.