Have you ever had a surgery or not?

@JenInTN (27547)
I put this under this catagory because surgery has become a normal part of life at one time or another. I have had one on my neck. I had a rare cyst that needed to be removed and although it was a scare,it was a one day surgery. I think in this day more has than not has had a surgery of one type or another. Please share if you have had one. If not..let us know you haven't.
@nanajanet (4436)
How many pages do you have for me to put all of my surgeries!! LOL My first, was at age 7 when I had an emergency appendectomy (appendicitis). Now, I had a long time before the next. I had a few D&C's for medical purposes, which is more of a medical procedure, rather than considered surgery. I had 29 stitches in my leg for a swimming accident right before my wedding (Lovely, huh?) at the age of 20. The following summer I had an accident that did not cause me surgery but I was unconscious for a day with a really bad concussion that kept me out of work for almost two months. Then I had foot surgery to correct a bunion. I had a Cesarean section to give birth to my daughter at age 26. At age 32 I had stitches in my one foot when dish fell on my foot and practically went through it. At age 37 I had two lumpectomies, my lymph nodes removed, and one radical mastectomy. Four years later I had reconstruction which was the most massive surgery that I ever had. The same year I had two non-cancerous lumps removed. 3 years ago I had my eyes lifted and and mini-face lift. I hope that I am done now!! LOL
@JenInTN (27547)
Wow nanajanet! You have had a few! After all those I guess the elective you chose was a breeze! Speaking of which..were you happy with your elective surgeries? I've been considering a peel. I don't know though..I am such a chicken and I just read a book in which the character was having a bad reaction to one. Thanks for sharing!
@nanajanet (4436)
Well, the part that was very painful of my facelift was the stitches in front of the ears. OW!!! The eyes, no problem. They also had removed some fat from under my chin. Of course, I have put on weight since then (ugh, I want that all sucked out, too, lol), so my face is a little fuller but my eyes are still great. Before, my eyelids were right on top of my eyes and now they look more open so I look less tired. Another great face lift, that is cheap.... smiling!! LOL I would do it again but not all at once. It IS painful and takes a full year for all of the swelling to go away but after a month it is close to normal. I did lose some feeling in small spots where there are stitches but that is normal.
@JenInTN (27547)
Thank you for giving me the lowdown. I'm glad you are happy with it. I hope if I ever get my courage up..I'll be happy too.
@dpk262006 (56734)
No, so far I have not undergone any surgery, as such in my life. Nonetheless, the thought of getting under the knife and going for any kind of surgery also looks scary to me..........LOL!
@JenInTN (27547)
It terrifies me my friend. When I had my one done..they had to give me this medicine that put me in lala land because I was looking for ways to escape at first.LOL I'm glad you haven't had any. Thanks for responding!
@dpk262006 (56734)
Hope this kind of situation does not arise for you again.
@JenInTN (27547)
Thanks dpk!
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
i had my tonsils out when i was 5, then i had a c-section w/both my sons, then i had surgery for a brain aneyrysm in 200, & 2004 after i had a stroke i had to have carotid surgery. that's all. lol
@JenInTN (27547)
Oh..is that all? LOL! That last one is a doosie! Hopefully you won't have to have anymore. Thanks jo.
@ANTIQUELADY (36468)
thanks, i hope that's all to.
@sacmom (14250)
The only surgeries I've had before was when I got my wisdom teeth removed and when I had an episiotomy with my first born. My husband on the other hand has had surgeries on his leg, collar bone, between his abdomen and thigh, as well as his wisdom teeth. Poor guy has had surgeries for just about everything!
@JenInTN (27547)
Surgeries and broken bones! What are you going to do with him? lol That husband of yours sounds like a handfull. LOL I guess you'll just have to look out for him and keep in line. Thanks for the response.
I had a surgery to correct the narrowing at my aorta, the artery in the heart. I was 12 years old then and was so scared, but I got through it with the guidance and support of my loving family
@JenInTN (27547)
WOW! I would have been terrified. I'm glad you made it through all right. Thanks for sharing!
@cybersoft01 (1287)
Yes, you are right my friend. Surgery is a part of life. I underwent surgery at the age of 6. In fact, I had an accident in which my left leg got stuck in a machine in our workshop. I large piece of flesh from my thigh was grafted to my leg and only after 1 month I came back to normal life.
@JenInTN (27547)
Hi cybersoft01! That sounds very scary. I've gotten hung in machinary before but never to the point I was severly injured.Thanks for the response!
@callarse1 (4786)
Yes I did. In September 2004 I had very sharp pain in my abdomen. Supposedly everyone (even I did!) thought it was a ruptured appendix or ruptured gall bladder. Supposed it's supposed to hurt that bad. I found out that I had ulcer & it caused a small hole in my small intestine. I had to have surgery at the hospital & they made me say 8 days at the hospital! They didn't give me ANY food for 5 days due so they could stop possibility of infection & make sure the wound healed..I have a big scar on my stomach. And I was pretty scared cos I don't remember anything! I just remember going to the hospital and then I was out for surgery. They said I was supposed to have lots of symptoms...I hardly ever got heart burn...I told them I took aspirin &ibeprophen..they said I had H. Pylori..and bacteria that can be found to cause ulers..so they thought it mkay have been a combonation of taken aspirin & H. Pylori. I didn't realize that aspirin and similar medicines could cause ulcer...so I try to take Tylenol if I need to and I try to avoid asprin. Cheers! Pablo
@JenInTN (27547)
Sounds like a very bad experiance callarse1. I have heard that aspirin can cause ulcers. Stress too! 5 days without food is a very long time! I'm glad your feeling better and taking measures for you not to be ill like that again. Thanks for sharing your experiance!
@singlemommy (2952)
The only type of surgery that I've had is having a tubal ligation. Of course that isn't a major surgery, but I guess it still classifies as one. I had it done in June of 2007. I was having a lot of female problems and I had to have a D&C and they also did an ablasion and recommended that I get my tubes tied as well, so I did. So, no more babies for me, I hope.
@JenInTN (27547)
Hi singlemommy! I have a friend that had one done and she said it's very painful for the first week after. They really didn't want to do one on her because she was kinda young and had only one child. She doesn't regret it though. She knew one was enough for her. Thanks for responding!
@Celanith (2334)
Yes I have had three surgeries. The first was for endrometriosis they removed scar tissue in 1983, In 1994 I had a knee injury and had to have surgery on my right Knee and in 2005 I had a hysterectomy.
@JenInTN (27547)
That endo can be a tough cookie.I don't think that stuff ever goes away. That knee surgery is tough too. Hysterectomys too. Thanks for responding.
No I have never had surgery. I am afraid of that and it is too risky. People are dying from surgery gone wrong and stuff like that. Even when i was giving birth I never had any C-sections or surgery. Better safe than sorry.
@JenInTN (27547)
I certainly wouldn't recommend it unless it was a have to case. It is very risky. Thanks for responding.
@sam4mumu (114)
I have had my appendix taken out and I may have to have surgery to widen my nasal passages as I have an allergy to dust mite so my nose is always blocked up.
@JenInTN (27547)
Thanks for responding sam4mumu. I hear that nasal passage surgery has a lot of uses.
@enola1692 (3325)
hhmm yes i mhad surgery on my back after getting run over by a forklift I know oocch I also had a c-section for my daughter an last of allhopefully the last time I was attacked by a pitbull in last junn an had to have my left arm stitched
@JenInTN (27547)
HOLY..WOW! Runover by a fork lift! That awful! Those back surgeries can be very touchy! Do you still have problems? And attacked by a pit bull...jeez! These are injuries that are mental and physical! I also hear that c sections are hard to heal from and take alot of time. I hope you don't have anymore problems. You deserve a little rest. Thanks for responding.
@CRSunrise (2964)
I've had surgery twice, and they were both on my feet. I had a bone that was jutting out, making it a pain to wear shoes on that foot. My left food receive it's surgery my freshmen year in high school...my right foot during my senior. At least I got it done before I was seriously in the work force.
@JenInTN (27547)
It is good it was done early. Done and over with is the best ssurgery I've ever heard of.lol Thanks for the response.
@silverjam (969)
Yes I did and it was even twice for just a certain case. I had my left knee injured so badly after a vehicular accident while on job nearly six years ago. I was on leave from job for almost a year for that. At first I had it due to the accident; there was a bar/stainless put inside for the fisrt one then after 6 months another surgery for the removal of the that stuff. It was all painful both physically and financially.
@JenInTN (27547)
I bet it was silverjam! Sounds like a terrible and painful experiance! I am so sorry you had to go through that. Take care and thanks for the response.
@savypat (20245)
I have had a few surgeries and there have been quite a few within the family. My husband had open heart surgery and would not be alive today without it. It's been 10 years and I am truly thankful for that.
@JenInTN (27547)
Surgery can definately be a part of life. Technology has came so far and it seems sometimes what they can do is endless. I'm so happy your husband is doing well now.
@missybear (11393)
When I was 2 I had my Tonsils out, that's what my mom tells me I don't remember thank God. I never had surgery since "Knock on Wood". But I have 2 Nodules in my Thyroids 1 on each Side that I need to keep an Eye out for. So far they only the Size of your little Pinky Nail and to small to test.
@JenInTN (27547)
Well..I'm knocking on wood for you too. Hopefully they'll continue to be to small to test. Thanks for responding missybear!
@Jody20 (887)
• Netherlands
As i child i had stitches at the back of my head and above my eyebrow. The one above my eyebrow was painfull because the bandage was partly above my eyenose brow. Then at the age of 32 i fainted in the bathroom and broke my nose. Last year i had a hysterectomy and my bladder put back in his place.
@JenInTN (27547)
You've had some tough experiances. I hope you are well now that you've had this done. Thanks for sharing!
@uicbear (1902)
I've had 2, one to remove a bone chip out of my ankle, the other was i had my gallbladder removed due to gallstones.
@JenInTN (27547)
I know a few people that have had the gall bladder removed. I've heard of bonecips in your foot but not the ankle before.Thanks for responding!
@jstmarfz (1498)
Hello jen! for 23 years of my life, I only had one surgery and first time being admitted in the hospital. That was last year. I have to undergone the surgery because I am afraid that it will affect for my medical examination for my visa. So my husband and I never wasted time and set an appointment for the surgery for me. I was very anxious because I am afraid of injections and being in the hospital is very uncomfortable with me. Gladly the surergy was successful.
@JenInTN (27547)
If you don't mind mt asking..what was it for? You don't have to share but you have raised my curiousity.
Yes, I have had surgery, just the basics though. I had a biopsy, my wisdom teeth out, and a C section.
@JenInTN (27547)
Wisdom teeth and biopsy can be very painful.It takes a woman many more weeks to get better after a C section too.