Differences 2

@Modestah (11192)
IS there something you like to use in your cooking that your parent/s did not cook with at all? An ingredient that you tend to use that you never had when growing up? I do not use them often, but keep them on hand... I really like capers. My mother never used them while I was growing up.
i love using chicken stock and blended red chillies. my parents rarely use these in their cookings.
@Modestah (11192)
I could not imagine not having chicken stock on hand.
yeah. it's just like magic! hehe
@KarenO52 (2951)
I cook a lot of Mexican food, and use things that my Mom never did, or things I never even had until I was married and cooking myself. I use avocado, cilantro, cumin, jalepenos, pinto beans, corn and flour tortillas.
@Modestah (11192)
cumin and cilantro are some of my favorite flavorings - and avocados mmmm! I got spoiled visiting my mother down on the tex mex border and buying my avocados in mexico... the taste is incredible. buying them just across the border in usa they lack the flavor. I think it must have to do with when they are picked and how they are ripened. I bought a half dozen the other day at the local grocery and bleh they were flavorless.
@jillhill (37379)
Mushrooms.....I love mushrooms...either cooked or raw and I can't ever remember my mother adding them to anything! In fact when my brother married my sister in law who is a gourmet cook my mom had a hard time with some of the ingredience she uses....but me...love the mushrooms!
@Modestah (11192)
mmm mushrooms! we had a lot of them while I was growing up - but she would also buy canned, my family does not like the canned ones much at all. one daughter will only eat them raw. too bad they have so little nutritional value.
yea..spices. my mom had two methods of cooking..burnt or boiled. and didn't season anything beyond salt or pepper. i had to fight them just to eat things with garlic or onion added. she meant well,but god,everything was so bland.