More conscious about child's health

@bamakelly (5193)
As parents we all want our children to be healthy. I think that it is equally important for us to be in good overall health as well. But do you find yourself more worried about making sure your kids are eating the right things?
• Dallas, Texas
All the time - I fuss at them about eating to much salt all the time and as soon as they turn their head - I put a little extra on mine.
hello, shakadoodoo. i always believe in taking salt just right to the taste. food is enjoyable to be taken in if the taste is just perfect. so eating becomes fun rather than something to labor for. i can see that you tend to put a little less salt on that food since you add more of it when the children are not looking. meaning, you agree to the statement that i have related above: food tastes so good if salted right to our very taste. in this case then, just put enough salt to the food that the members of the family is about to consume. everybody will enjoy the meal much better as the family shares of it. just make sure that everyone has had a glassful of water fifteen to thirty minutes before dining. this trick will take charge of those extra sodium that might have been consumed in the process of having taken that delicious meal.
Varies snack for children and in general children are like it. As parents, should know whether the food is good for health or not, if not, then I disallow children to buy it. Provided the children with which can be eaten, and what does not.
I worry also. When they are in school, who knows what kind of food they are being fed and how good it is for them. Are they getting the right nutrients or too much sugar and sodium? So when they are home, I make sure they have good things to eat, like organic fruits and granola bars...the one's that aren't loaded with sugars. They don't drink soda at home, only water and organic juice...even our milk is organic (and the chocolate milk too) Soda is a very rare treat we allow them from time to time and they don't seem to upset about it, either. I figure the more natural ingredients in the foods I give them and the less man-made products, the healthy they'll be. I did find that when I got my hubby eating healthier foods, my sons followed along willingly (I read somewhere that children , especially boys, will follow their dad's eating habits) and now they enjoy a variety of veggies, including salad with their meals.
these days, we can see that parents are more worried that their children are eating those healthy foods. this is because of the proliferation of junk/unhealthy foods in the market. foods which we call junk because instead of promoting health unto those who consume them, they cause their consumers to be ill in more than one way. this means, that the people of today are fully aware that we are what we eat. so, if we consume natural foods which promote good health always, we are healthy. and, if we consume those junk foods, our health gets to be junk, too.
@cripfemme (7713)
I think most parents are more concerned with their kids health then their own. But, as with everything else that concerns kids, they are more likely to do what they see you doing rather then what you say they should do.
@bamakelly (5193)
Thank you for a good response cripfemme. You are so right about children more likely to do what they see. That is probably why they need to be taught early so they can have good habits throughout their lives and stay with it. Take care. By the way, I would like to add you as a friend. Would you please accept my friend request?
@alharra (507)
I most definately pay more attention to my kids health than my own. But even when I didn't have kids I ignored my health more often than not.
Hi bamakelly At first, the most important thing is that the children eat. But, if we as parents introduce healthy foods instead of the wrong foods, our children should learn to eat those foods. If we don't buy the junk food, they can't insist on eating that only. It's good to have a treat or two, but it you buy in moderation, then they will eat in moderation.
@thorgrym (677)
Absolutely. I am able to discern good choices from poor ones. I am able to accept the consequences of indulging in less than healthy food choices and able to take the steps to combat my choices. My children still need that guidance. They need to be made aware that eating nothing but sugary/salty foods will lead to problems for them in the future. As such, I am more worried about what they are eating than what I am eating. I also worry about the example that I set for them, so I try to avoid bad choices for their sake. While I do not want to have any more health issues than I already do, I am more concerned for their potentially long, healthy future than I am for my own.