Do you prefer a pen or a keyboard?

France
What's your favorite way of writing?
Since I do mostly nothing but type, I get things done quicker that way and the way my handwriting looks now, it surely shows..lol..I prefer typing because it just looks horrible when I have to write now..
@paid2write (5201)
I've been using keyboards for more than 25 years. I started on a manual typewriter, worked with electric typewriters, learned to use a word processer and then started using a computer. When I write by hand I have to keep crossing out, inserting, rewriting and throwing away pages of paper. Using a keyboard I can do all this on the screen. I can create documents and save files, so nothing gets lost and anything can be reworded, reworked and used again.
• France
Do you need to print your writings to be able to have another look at what you wrote?
I don't own a printer. All my writings are published on the Internet, and submitted online.
• France
I'm just wondering because I saw in a movie just yesterday a writer checking her writings this way and I found it interesting, to be able to have a look what she wrote a different way.
@makingpots (11916)
Both really. I love pens for writing in journals, cards, doodling. But I have grown pretty use to my keyboard now for writing purposes of almost every kind. I have a small collection of art pens that are decorative mostly but I enjoy writing with them too.
• France
I couldn't agree with you more.
• South Africa
Both. One is technolgical so you won't make errors but the other has the character and tradition etc. I would never phase outthe pen.
• France
It's pleasant to hear.
@LaurenInLA (2271)
I find myself typing whenever possible. My handwriting is horrible probably because I don't have the patience to write in long hand. My writing is so bad that the people that work for me insist that I type. The standard office joke is that you have job security when you can read my handwriting. It's sometimes so bad that I can't read it myself!
• France
Aow, I have to say since I use my keyboard more and more my writing became worst than before and I actually find it a little sad. I mean yeah, we're living in the wonderful century of technologies but I still do think it's appreciable to write and be read from the good old flowing pen.
@sierras236 (2740)
The keyboard definitely. It feels weird writing with a pen now. I doubt I would be able to read my own handwriting after a few minutes of writing.
@Bebs08 (10685)
I depends upon the work I am doing but most of the time I used keyboard in writing. But there are times that we can't use computer but pen, like signing or anything? although we are not using pen often but at least we still use pen. But I preferred keyboard in writing.
@jammyt (2822)
When I was in elementary and HS, I loved writing long, hand written letters. In fact this went on until college. I just loved keeping a diary or letters to my friend. When I started working and was exposed to the PC most of the time, my fingers started to stiffen after writing a few lines. I guess my fingers needs exercise too! LOL!
@scheng1 (24688)
Love using both. It may sounds silly, but I like the feel of ink on paper. There is also a deep sense of satisfaction to use up one pen after another. Like using keyboard too, especially for discussion forum like mylot. Like to hear the sounds of keyboard.
• France
If we talk about keyboards and myLot, I have to say that I prefer a hundred times my laptop keyboard. As for this way of leaving some ink on the paper, I feel exactly the same as you do. That's what I wanted to hear actually
@scheng1 (24688)
haha, guess the pen manufacturer loves us very much oh.
• France
Certainly the same way as we do
@ehlana88 (330)
It truly depends on the day. I like to handwrite many things because it truly helps me remember them. I may never see the list I made again but its ingrained in my memory. Likewise, I like to use a pen if I'm having trouble focusing on the computer. For me the internet is often just one giant distraction to my writing. The best would be a typewriter or a laptop not connected to the net. Then I could take it places and write and observe and love it.
• France
You mean not to be interfered by the possible other activities you could have online or because you fear hackers?
@ehlana88 (330)
No I don't fear hackers. I like to disconnect simple because blogs, emails, games, mylot, etc. All the glorious bounty of the internet is a distraction for me.
• France
I would also like it like you for the same reasons but also because I fear somebody would be able to steal my words
@Margajoe (4718)
Keyboard. It is faster and easier to correct, when I make a mistake or want to change something. What about you? Take care.
• France
For the same reasons as response 17.
@Margajoe (4718)
Yes me too. Take care, have a nice day.
It really depends on what it is that I am writing. I find for me, that when I write poetry, pen is better, as it allows my creativity to flow better for some reason. Short stories, however, keyboard is better because I can type as fast as my mind goes and so I find it flows better. When I write to friends, I like to make it more personal, so I use stationary and pen. Which do you prefer and why?
• France
I don't have any preferences as I mentioned before. See the previous response for example. Writing stories with a pen is really hard for me too, my hand can get tired after 2 or 3 pages of writings.
I love pen and paper, but I don't write that much anymore. I broke my hand years ago and it has never been the same. It starts hurting easily when I try to write with a pen :o(. So, I have to use the computer mostly. What is your favorite way of writing?
• France
I think I have to say it depends what I have to write. For example, if it's to write a letter for a job application that would better by email, so if I make a mistake I don't have to start it all over again and again. If I wanna write a short stories or something the keyboard will be easier again. Finally if I wanna write a love letter or such thing I'll try with a good old pen and a piece of paper.
@Aurone (4757)
I have composed on the computer, but I prefer good ole fashion pen to paper.
• France
Pens are good.
@bjcyrix (6907)
Heya, I used to prefer to write with a pen before. Id literally make drafts of it on scratch papers and Id draw arrows in case there's something Id want to insert or revise or something. But as time went on and I got comfortable at the computer Id type it directly using the keyboard. However, I still prefer the old fashioned way and that is write the very first draft of my work using a pen and then just revising/editing it using the computer and keyboard.^_^
Yes I prefer typing also, I don't find my handwriting that attractive, and when I'm on the computer I type really fast which is an advantage, something I lack with pen.
@baileycows (3667)
I definitely prefer a keyboard. I have had surgeries on my hands and they seem to cramp easier and more when I am writing for long periods. However I can type for much longer before they start hurting.
@magojordan (3254)
I'd still go for the pen since I also draw. Although I don't write that beautifully writing small notes or short letters by hand to friends is still heartwarming for me. However if something is needed to be written formally i.e. business letters etc. I type it of course.
@candysky (855)
well, i will prefer keyboard because my hand writing very ugly... so, i like to use keyboard... but for keyboard, there is an disadvantage, there was you will forgot the word easily... because when using keyboard, you can use computer to check spelling, so, you won't really remember the spelling... if for chinese word, you can just guess the spell and there will have the word for you to choose... so, for the word, i forgot easily, sometime, when i need to write out, i will accidentally write the pin yin (the spelling) instead of the word...
@laydee (12809)
It depends really. If it's for someone else, like a loved one, I'd go for writing it myself because it adds a personal touch. But if it's an urgent matter and would be sent out to someone as a mere acquaintance, then I'd go for typing. It depends really with the medium too. But now a days, I'd go for keyboard, you can't actually write your emails with a pen, right?