Why are conservatists so threatened...

@cripfemme (7710)
that their kids will be exposed to liberal ideas? I'm pretty far to the left and I'm not threatened by the fact that my kids will be exposed to conservative ideas. I want them to be exposed to every idea on earth and decide what they believe in. Granted, if my kid becomes a crazy, conservative Republican like Alan Keyes I will be horrified, but I'm not going to limit their exposure to different ideas. That's not the kind of parent I want to be. But as far as conservative parents, that I have observed, especially here and on the TV, it seems like they are afraid that their kids will be exposed to liberal ideas and agree with them. Perhaps they are not as secure in what they've taught their children as I will be. What do you think? Do you think my idea is true?
Well I would say there are ideas I do not want my children exposed to until a certain age. When I was in school (and college) I have a lot of teachers that pushed their political views on their students. They shouldn't. Especially young kids. That is brain washing. THey are too little to understand about politics and opinons. Wait until they are older and talk about it in a neutral way. Talk about all the groups (not just the two major parties) and then let the kids make up their own minds. But not in elementary school. The biggest issue I have is teachers (either republican or democrat) pushing their views on things. Persent all the ideas in a completely neutral way and I do not have a problem with it. But when it comes to politics...well that is a really touchy subject for a lot of people, like religion. Heck to some people their politics is their religion. Oh and lay off Alan Keyes...he's not that bad. I find him very enertaining.But I know how you feel. I am conservative/constitutionalist so if my kids grew up to be socialist or marxist I would be horrified too. But I would get over it (I think).
@cripfemme (7710)
Alan Keyes disowned his daughter because she was gay. I think that's pretty bad. I would never abandon my kid for any reason short of rape or murder.
While I do not agree with Keye's decision it is his to make. And he will regret it one day as far as his daughter goes. I believe that children should be taught different things and ideas but at the appropriate time. It should be age appropriate.
@Taskr36 (13923)
I don't exposure is the concern as much as indoctrination. Every child should be taught different political philosophies as I was as a child. Children should not, however be berated by their teachers for being conservative. When a teacher tells an 8 year old girl "John McCain wants your daddy to stay in Iraq for a hundred years" thus moving the girl to tears, THAT is when conservative parents get upset.
@Taskr36 (13923)
"We know how you were indoctrinated kennyrose, it shows despite your attempts to hide it." How could I indoctrinate Kennyrose? She's older than me. "No teacher told a child such words. That is another fruitless ploy by indoctrinated republicans to have something to sling mud about. Besides if a teacher said that she spoke the truth." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDEAYgm0Dv8&eurl=http://beltwayblips.dailyradar.com/video/ashville_n_c_school_teacher_browbeats_student_over/&feature=player_embedded There's your proof cjr. I know you'd rather remain ignorant than watch a video proving my claim, but I'm putting it there for the benefit of anyone who's curious.
That's the whole point. Freedom. It seems that conservatives are for fredom as long as you agree with them.So of course they would fear that their kids would learn of another view.And if they became a liberal, then then what?
@cripfemme (7710)
Well said...