Can You Teach A Person To Be Professional?

@Rozie37 (15499)
Turkmenistan
Or is it something that needs to come from within naturally? I know for me, no one really sat me down and said, alright, this is the way that a professional should behave. I simply made a choice to imitate other professionals that I saw at work. Some things just can natural and through common sense. I have come across quite a few people that do not seem to know in what circumstances they should act professionally. Is there a rule here?
Rozie the lack of professionalism is a pet peeve of mine. In fact I would love to teach professionalism classes. I hate it when you call a business and the person on the other end does not identify themselves. I am a hand shaker so when I am introduced to someone I shake there hand. I think that shows you care about that person you respect them and the meeting. I hate the popping of gum, or the gum hanging out the side of their mouth when they talk that is a major no no in my book. I could go on and on of the lack of professionalism.
@Polly1 (12648)
I think we learn by example when we are young. If we are around adults that act like grown ups instead of like idiots, then we learn thats the way we are supposed to act in public. If at a young age we are exposed to a bunch of supposed grown ups that act like fools and think its funny, then I think those people will tend to act like fools too. I know how to conduct myself wherever I am, I don't remember being taught to act a certain way. I do remember it was expected of me to know how to conduct myself. Sure it is fun to sometime let your hair down and just have fun and be a kid again. But as adults we should know when the time and setting is right to do that.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
I totally agree with you.
@phoenix79 (304)
I believe that anyone can act professionally. It maybe a skill that has to be practiced, but it can be taught. The better the education also means more profession people.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
I do not know that this is true. Some very educated people are the immature and unprofessional that I have ever met.
@Bebs08 (10685)
Well there are books that we can read about professional ethics and it is also taught in school. Yes, what you did is pretty good. Observing others and imitate them but there are good books that we can read to add our knowledge.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
Yes, there are books that one can read, but they also need to know how to properly apply what they have learned. That does not seem to come easy for everyone.
People can learn to be professional, but only if they have that desire to be professional.Then they can be taught, or even self taught. My behaviors are professional, sometimes my look is not quite polished enough. I guess I would ask if it is possible to be the reverse, and be too professional, so that people think you are just stiff and stuck up? I would say that there are people like that, and I am probably one of those people. I have high standards for myself and for others.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
I think there are certain times that one needs to be more professional than other times. For instance, if you normally joke around at work, but then your boss starts to take it the wrong way, then you will need to be more professional than you normally would be. Also if your customer don't take you seriously, because of how you dress or present yourself, then you should be more professional. I think the level of professionalism should be appropriate for the situation at hand. I believe that what some people consider to be stuck up, another person may not view it that way. The other time that I fell that I need to be rigid is when I am talking about my core moral beliefs.
@CMTS_87 (1340)
I strongly believe that you can not teach professionalism. It is something that comes fro within and that comes from experience. So I think a person should work hard to attain high level of professionalism.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
You are right. I believe that it is a choice that one hast to conscienciously make. There is really no textbook that can teach it.
@elmiko (6638)
to be honest i don't think some people have the ability to be professional. there usually the people with a long list of criminal records.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
I can certainly agree with you there.
@marciascott (25553)
Yes I would think so if the have the proper Training, and years of experience.