Did You Know This?

Did you know that there is a ringtone, for cell phones, that is made especially so adults can not hear it? It supposedly is very high pitched, and older ears can not hear it, but young people can. Has anyone else heard of this, and is it true? Does it actually work?
@suspenseful (40314)
All right who is the evil mean person who thought this up? I mean if I was a parent of teenagers and younger, I would want to know who to blame if my children pretend that their phone did not work, and then sneak off to their rooms and chat away to their friends when they should have been doing their homework. Parents. Anyone consider confiscating their kids's phones and checking the ringtones?
I agree, it is promoted for kids so adults can not hear their phones ring. However I am curious why would they not just put it on vibrate, rather than risk hurting their ears.
No it does not work. Some of the newer phones have a misquito sounding ringer and supposedly adults can't hear it. I'm an adult and I hear it just fine.
I wonder if it only works for some, and not others. Like say if you are above a certain age, when hearing starts to diminish anyway, or if not at all.
@Thoroughrob (11748)
I have never heard any such thing. I wonder if it is true.
Me neither until just recently.
@adam1980 (517)
i had never heard of this sound being used as a ring tone but i know a lot of the little corner stores have had a device fitted to the out side that emmits this noise to stop teenagers hanging around out side the shops, i cant personally hear the noise but my young daughter covers her ears and complains of the noise so it obviously works
I have very sensitive ears, and if someone has had one of these I did not know it. It is supposedly popular with the kids. That is why I put it under parenting.