People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

@miamilady (4924)
What does this expression mean to you? Do you apply it's meaning to your every day life? Have you heard the expression before?
@James72 (26829)
Yes, but you should see the birds smack into a glass house! I have heard this expression on many an occasion and I do try to follow it's meaning, yes. To me it's in the same context as "let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone" in that it means we should think twice before judging others because we too are open to scrutiny in return and far from perfect or solidly stable in all we do.
I actually prefer the statement, People in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones, especially heavy ones on the second story. Whole tribes of grass house people have been known to perish when their King's collection collapses on top of them during regal ceremonies. Lash PS Yes, I'm in a strange mood. Being serious, James has stolen my point, and I could see no point in doubling up, but if I don't find something to post to I'm going to go totally (as opposed to partially) insane. This will have to do as a temporary measure against my encroaching insanity.
@James72 (26829)
ENCROACHING insanity??? lol. Grass houses don't sound half bad actually, but what type of grass are we talking here? The reason I ask is because certain types have a chance of lasting for some time, but there's one particular type that would have one heck of an insurance premium because it would be constantly going up in smoke and burning down!
@miamilady (4924)
Thank you both for participating in this discussion. You certainly brought an interesting twist to it! I know what you mean about trying to find discussions worth posting two. I've founded myself sitting here for LONg periods of time trying to find something I am interested in posting to and I start to wonder "why am I still here??" Then I have moments where I find on after another and I need to go get stuff done, but I find it hard to pull away.
@kalav56 (11497)
It is an absolutely profound statement and is certainly relevant to most of the people.Its , milder versions are perhaps the proverbial 'double standard ''Preach what you practise'.I try not to do this--generally I do not lay down norms of conduct and believe in 'each to one's own' and that if we are unable to agree with someone on something , 'we should agree to disagree'.THe underlying thought is that I may myself fall prey to a thing and so, I do not believe in passing judgements [at least I try not to and make a conscious attempt] I do see people give lectures against something while they themselves do that.I cannot go into examples but I am sure you see what I mean.There haev been times when I too get into this double standard [though rarely because as, I told you , I am conscious about it]And then I give a sheepish smile and admit that it was a case of standard double standard.
@sharra1 (6341)
Quite right but too many people in this world do practise a double standard. I agree that we are all different and yet if you appear to be different then people will ostracise you because they do not like non conformists.
Yes I have heard of this expression below. Nobody is perfect and we should set our own house in order before investigating into other’s affairs. To me, not being judgmental is one of the fundamental principles of my life.
I have no problem with people being judgmental, so long as they apply their judgment equally to their own behaviour. Lash
I can't…so I dont i think your 'encroaching insanity' is rubbing off on me
@sandymay48 (2031)
Hi miamilady..To me the saying is a great one and it means that we should not judge others in a negative way and throw remarks at them when we are not perfect ourselves. In other words, none of us should be judgemental of others but I think the original saying meant something like..People who have their own problems shouldnt be remarking to others who do as well. An example would be if I was a thief, I should not be talking in a bad way about the boy down the street who got in trouble for stealing.
@Darkwing (21588)
Yes, again, I've heard this. It means that if you don't expect retaliation then you shouldn't start a war/argument/attack. In other words, if you don't expect to be hurt, then you don't dish hurt out... or practice what you preach, basically. Literally, it means, you shouldn't throw a missile at somebody if you don't expect the stone to come back and break your house. Your world around you would fall and you'd also have lost a potential friend. Brightest Blessings.
@DavidReedy (2411)
People shouldn't live in glass houses, anyway... I can only imagine how hard it is to get insurance for such a dwelling... Who'd make such a house anyway, "The Three Little Pigs house construction?" snicker... Honestly, what's it mean, anyway...that we're all sinners?--everyone can see it except for us? Or does it mean that our own house, due to our own inequities could simple come crashing down? Never was too sure on this one. Great posts!
to me it's always meant if your own position is fragile (glass),don't pick at other people,because that stone might come back at you. i've also heard it as don't tempt fate.
@wildcat48 (779)
That when you yourself have problems and faults you shouldn't be talking about others. That is how I have always taken the meaning anyhow. But I would guess other people may have different interpretations on the meaning.
@jillmalitz (5132)
I think it is goes back to words in the Bible about judge not,lest ye be judged or something like that. I have heard it a lot, kind of if you have never done any thing wrong you have the right to be critical, but if you are just as guilty for doing the same thing you have no room to talk. There is also one from the American Indian lore which says something like walk a mile in my shoes... then you will see. To me it simply means that none of us is perfect so we should not be so quick to judge others for their failures or bad behavior.
@savypat (20245)
To me it means just what it says, if you throw stones in a glass house chances are you'll break it. So if you are critical about others watch out because no one's perfect.
@gtdonna (1740)
It means that if a person knows that you have secrets or issues that others know about, and which they do not want the world to know, then they should not go around spreading details on another person issues or secrets because their is no different.
@sharra1 (6341)
To me it means that people should be careful of what they say as it can come back to hurt them. If you say something nasty about other people then they are going to want revenge. Well they might. After all if you live in a glass house then someone might just start throwing stones back at you if you throw them at others. The trouble is that as wise as the saying is people still say nasty things about others.
@dropofrain (1168)
Yes, I have definately heard about the phrase before hand. I am actually aware about the meaning of the same. I think this means a lot to me and I defiantely follow this in my daily schedule. It means you should look at yourself first then throw stones at others.
I have heard this expression alot down through the years and I never did totally understand the concept.
Yes, I have heard this expression before. I like it because it is just another way to say that we shouldn't judge others or we shouldn't talk about other people because we all have our problems and we may be talking about someone who is in the same situation as we are. And if that person isn't in the same situation, we may end up in a similar place. It just isn't good to try to put others down. We should always try to help other people and boost them upwards. In my opinion, if we aren't being helpful or a blessing towards someone else..then what is our purpose?
@mentalward (14695)
You shouldn't gossip about others because we all have issues. That's what it means to me. Yes, I do apply it to my everyday life. I try never to talk badly about anyone because, unless you know them intimately, you never know the reasons why someone is like they are. If you talk badly of others, you should expect the same from them, talking badly about you. No one is perfect and none of us has any right judging others. I always put myself in the other person's place and think, if that were me, how would I handle it? What would my life be like? Anyway, that's what it means to me.