I Am Completely Petrified of Snakes

So we have had one big snake on our porch, last fall, It got away. Today we found little baby kittens, in our bushes, looking to get under the house. This has been an ongoing problem, but these kittens were small. The mom was there but around the corner, so we caught one, and called animal control to come get it. They said no it was not an emergency, to let it go, mother will find it, and try again in the daytime, then call them back. yeah that is what I want to do chase wild kittens that claw you to death, in 100 degree heat, for them to say we can not come get it. I would try to keep it, but it was so small, and I am allergic, and my very large dog hates cats. So we let it go off with the mother, under my house. So what does that have to do with a snake you wonder? While I was standing on the porch, with my husband, being quiet so the mother would come take her kitten, I kept hearing this noise. Now if you have ever lived in the south, or watched animal planet, you will know that a baby alligator makes a very distinctive sound when calling for help. Well so do frogs, who knew, not me. I said to my husband, that sounds like a baby alligator, and my heart began to race. So then I noticed something small and fat trying to squeeze through a hole at the top of our garage. I said what is that, it was a fat frog, trying to get out of this hole, and it was making that noise. Then I noticed its leg appeared to be stuck, on what though. Then I saw it a snake, with the frogs leg in its mouth. It was just a little snake, but what was it doing way up there at the top of the garage. Ugh, I thought I was going to have a stroke. The fat frog did get away, and fell into the bushes with the poor kitten waiting for its mother. The snake stayed there for a minute, before going back in the hole. I really do not know if I can take it, a snake in my garage wall. Ugh
Hi Melissa and I know what you mean. I am deathly afraid of rats and mice. They just scare the bejeebers out of me.LOL We live in an old farm house that we bought as a fixer upper becasue we wanted in the country, and when we fist moved in we had an awful battle with the rats and mice over who was going to remain in the house. I finally got me a horde of cats and pretty soon that problem was all taken care of. Now I always have cats around. infact one of our females just had 5 babies the other night. As far as snakes are concerned, I don't like them but I am not afraid of them. I remeber one summer a couple years ago I had quite a little battle on my hands. I hang my clothes out to dry in the summer and i had taken down a couple towels and folded them and put them in the basket and then the phone started ringing. Well I went to answer the phone and when I was finished I went back to taking the rest of my clothes down. Needless to say in the few minutes I had run to get the phone a snake had crawlwd into my laundry basket and I ended up taking it in the house. Boy what a battle we had trying to catch that sucker. My husband finally got it in a bucket and took it out to the barn and let it loose. It was just a little garter snake, but I tell you that thing could really move. Anyway, with living in the country you never know what you are going to find roaming around. Each day is a new discovery. flutterby
Its funny because we live right in town, it is rural but still town. I grew up in rattlesnake country in NY, and never once saw a snake. I have seen two in the two years we have been here. Ugh I think snow may be calling me home.
I grew up in upstate NY, so I am not a stranger to the cold, though I really do not miss it. But I did never see snakes, or bugs big enough to ride to town on.
Heavens...are they really that big? I would be carrying around something with me at all times to be prepared to kill whatever I ran into. I hate bugs.......I moved to an apartment back when I first left home and this apartment was plagued with roaches. I was so sick the whole time I lived thee becasue I was afraid to go to sleep. I worked and worked and finally got rid of all of them and I could finally settle down and enjoy my new sense of freedom and my own apartment. I don't know how some people can not care about how they live and the filth that some live in. It really doesn't cost that much for cleaning supplies and with working on it a little everyday you can have a place to be proud of flutterby
@mikeysmom (2091)
oh how gross! i hate snakes and frogs. i would have been freaking out. i am petrified of snakes also and if there was one in my house i would not be able to live there until it was caught. they are vile creatures. i hate frogs and toads too. they are just gross. i would never pick one up as my brother and sister did when we were all young. that is just not my thing. my son loves frogs though so we had 3 for pets for awhile. of course i did not handle it or feed it. the grossest thing is that we had to feed it crickets. i hate crickets too. ok, let's face it, anything that crawls, jumps or slithers is on my hate list.
We used to play with frogs, and toads when we were kids, they never bothered me. But here in FL everything is bigger than in NY, and these frogs and toads look like they could eat you LOL.
@jakeb1 (562)
You aren't the only one who is scared and petrified of snakes. Me and millions of others are also. What kind of snake was it, if you know? The danger with snakes is that you don't know if it is poisionous, no matter how small it is. You should get an exterminator for snakes to get rid of it. Good luck with your problem.
Well because it was up so high, and only stuck out its head, and a bit of neck I could not tell for sure. It looked like a garter snake, which is harmless, but it does not matter I do not like them. Last fall we had a huge indigo snake right on my porch. They are rare, and protected so I am glad I did not kill it which I would have if I could get it, not knowing what it was. It has moved on its way, andis scaring someone else.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I am scared of them to and to know there was one in there, would make me cringe. I hope that you find it and get rid of it soon.
You know what is real funny. The next morning we were out there taking the garbage down to the road, and swear it was looking out taunting me. I know it was not, but I could not help but think it was there. I hope he got bored and moved away, like the big indigo snake we had in the fall. That one about made me never sleep again.
@mamalev (264)
I say ur a tough lady if that ever happens to me I swear I'll sleep in a hotel or somewhere else until I get evidence that the snake is not in my garage anymore. When I was a teenager, there was an earthquake in our place and I've learned that these phenomenons disturb animals that's why they come out. I was in the shower when I saw the snake on top of the divider. I quickly covered myself with my towel and ran outside soap and all and everyone in the house couldn't understand a word I say because I was shaking all over. That was a very big snake, more like anaconda good thing it was sort of like sleeping coz it's all curled up. By the time my uncle understood me and got to the bathroom the snake was gone. I don't know where it went, so I stayed in my friends' place for a week.
Now see if I see something as big as an anaconda, I am definitely heading back to cold weather. I think I would have a heart attack.