Knitting and Crocheting Helps Overcome Unemployment Stress

@Aurone (4757)
There is a group in Goshen (New York) that is helping the unemployed reduce stress by knitting or crocheting. It is actually believe by the scientific community (and they were going to run a study on it) that crafts such as knitting, crocheting or cross stitching helped reduced stress and depression. This article is more proof of what we crafters already know. We are less stress and happier because we do our crafts. http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/45034607.html (not a referral link) When my husband left, I crocheted washcloths for my whole family to deal with the stress and it actually helped me a lot. Do you have a knitting, crocheting or cross stitching story where your craft helped you with a tough time? Tell us.
@derry123 (611)
Im a late started with crafts .. Since I retired I find the days and nights really long and there is only so much reading one can do . I started a patchwork bed throw and I so enjoyed making it, even collecting the materials from charity shops and ebay was a good experience . I am now crocheting blanket AND YES I CAN SEE THAT i WOULD BE VERY STRESSED IF I DID NOT HAVE SOME GOOD THINGS TO DO . I THINK IT GIVES ME A FEELING OF ACHIEVEMENT .
@Aurone (4757)
Good for you. I am glad you are enjoying your crafts. I felt kind of the same way when my husband left, I didn't have a job at the time and there is only so much TV watching and reading you can do before you go out of your mind.
I also crochet and knit and honestly find any craft is good for us. Keeping your hands occupied, keeps the mind occupied , it keeps you from being bored ,and it keeps you from worrying about things that you can't control . Heck it also saves you money . Alot of us use our crafts for gift giving or we sell them .The older I get the more I'm glad I have my crafts to do . I've seen people grow old with no hobby and they became very bored and alone in life . I can happily say I have lots of things to keep me from getting bored
@Aurone (4757)
beachstarz, I agree. I wish my grandmother would take up a craft to give her something to do because she is depressed and lonely in her life and that is doing her no good. I also use my crating for gift giving especially now when money is so tight.
@jazel_juan (15759)
really? it helps? i used to knit but i forgot how...anyways i might try it again.. i get so stressed these days
@Aurone (4757)
Its seems to change the levels of hormones in your brains that cause stressed feelings so that you feel less stressed. Both Crocheting and Cross Stitching have helped me deal with stress now and in the past. Give it a try again and see if it helps.
@jazel_juan (15759)
really? hmm i might. i also tried cross stitching before, just simple ones..i might thanks
@Loen210 (1533)
Oh, how good for you. Yes, crocheting is relaxing. I dont' knit, but like you, enjoy crocheting, though I don't have much time for it. It's a joy to make up (or follow directions) for something that comes out successful, and give it to somebody for a bit smile. :o)
@Aurone (4757)
It is, I also enjoy creating something beautiful.
@Loen210 (1533)
And I finally just this season made MEEEE something, for once. ;o) I made myself a fall/late spring warmth overcoat, which I am proud of. ;o) Now I am back to others. Making bride/groom outfits. sppy stitches to you! :o)
@Aurone (4757)
Good for you. Maybe I will one day get around to making me something. Right now I am cross stitching a baby blanket for my brother's impending bundle of joy.
When I was unemployed last summer, I crocheted blankets and scarves with scrap yarn my family had. I figured if I didn't have the money for the things we needed, I could at least make some of them! I've actually gotten a lot better at crocheting because of that period. My boyfriend's birthday present this past year was a large wool blanket that I made for him.
@Loen210 (1533)
Great for you, inky. :o) But I so wish that yarn was less expensive to help us relax further, huh? ;o)
@Aurone (4757)
Yarn is so expensive. But making things with the scrap yarn was a good idea. Too bad I am the only yarner in my family so no scrap yarn for me. But I have crafted a lot of gifts for people this year as I am on a much tighter budget like many people in today's economy.
Yeah, yarn really CAN be expensive, so I try to get coupons or find sales before I buy yarn. My boyfriend's mom is always sending me coupons for A.C. Moore, bless her! I've also been lucky and have found some yarn at thrift stores. Some of it needed untangling, but it was good yarn and worth the effort!
@TLChimes (4842)
My daughter (5 yrs) has ASD and behavior issues that result from it. My other daughter (9) is the oldest of the three at home and the only one without a major disability so she is caught taking a lot on.... even when we don't mean to. To help the younger one chill out and the older one feel special and have something fun to do that is her own we do crafts before bed after the youngest (2 in July) is in bed. We do seasonal crafts like ornaments in December. This week we will make beaded bracelets. We paint pictures using different materials and techniques. I've found that it's good for more then just the kids. Even I benefit.
@Aurone (4757)
Indeed. Its great that you spend time with your children doing crafts with them. I am sure you all benefit in several ways by doing so. Beaded bracelets sound fun. Perhaps we should all do children's crafts every once in a while just to keep us young.
@TLChimes (4842)
I do enjoy it as much as they do... really I do. I think they remind me often to take a minute to enjoy life.