The Artificial Wave of Music

Regarding rock bands; does it seem that rock bands have become more hungry for their commercial image and their success economically as oppose the the success of their music itself? Most times that I hear or see a band that came out from early 2000, into the mainstream, it seems that their image, physically, has become more important then their music. Another point that I always hear them make is how many records they've sold and how many sold out concerts they've given. It seems their whole music existence is artificial, like things like clothing lines, records sale, which goes into money revenue, but I never hear them talk more in depth about their musical ideas. Or am I just a early 90's junkie?
@dogsnme (1265)
I was thinking something similar recently. It seems that a lot of bands these days are certainly lacking something that the older, long-surviving bands had. It's almost as if their music is mass produced for the sake of making money. One band that comes to mind that is a perfect example of what it takes to not only be successful but to stick around for a long time is KISS. I think to be successful as a rock band and to have a long career, the music, the image, everything is important. But each aspect of the band and its business must be balanced properly and prioritized. I think the image and the music are equally important. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of KISS knew early on that not only their music but also their identity as a band was important. Music and image go hand in hand with getting a band noticed but they are not the only things that are needed and they certainly don't gaurantee success. You also have to know what it is you want to do as a band and the kind of success you want. KISS knew early on that they wanted to be bigger better and louder than anyone else. And they knew that image, identity, music, showmanship, and being loyal to the fans, among other things, were most important for a successful career. Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. A lot of bands these days seem to be missing something.
I was never really a fan of Kiss, not because I don't like them, but, because I don't know much about their music, or them as a band either. But even though there is a lack of in-depth musical talent in the mainstream bands I don't blame just the bands. Most that hold the responsibility are the record labels. I remember, Kurt Cobain said that their was bands that lack real uniqueness in their music, but were only signed because they sound like grunge. It was a trend that the record labels were following, which means that their are bands that need to be weeded out. I think that that trend never really stopped, in fact, most bands sound a lot similar which is the theme for this record labels- to just sign people who sound the same that way their is not much to offer but a lot of money to gain, because people are going to but music anyways. especially if they know how to marketed it.
@dogsnme (1265)
Yeah, I understand what you mean about the record labels. It can be a real cutthroat business sometimes. But, that just kind of goes hand in hand with what I was saying about KISS and how a band needs more than just musical talent. They have to have all of those qualities that I mentioned before(and maybe a little luck as well) to be a successsful rock band. If you are not very familiar with KISS, then you really should check them out. They are not just another rock band. They are true professionals. I could give you the lowdown on them but it would take up more time than I can give right now. I will say this though. Some bands today might never have gotten their start and gone on to successful careers if it hadn't been for KISS.
Well like I said I am not familiar with them, but I do have a question, who have they inspired, at least, musically? don't get me wrong, I believe what you are saying, so that was a serious question.
You're definitely not alone and I feel you! It's not only rock music, but I really find that music nowadays are very lame especially that of the rock bands. They don't improve in their music rather they invest on craps like clothing and hairdo that are totally nonsense. In my country, I just hate rock bands who put good-looking and boy-next-door type singers as their lead with no great voice at all. I don't care if I'm an old school junkie or whatever they call me but these days I really don't appreciate MOST type of music.. Although there are some good music in the mainstream however most of today's music are none compare to legends like my personal favorites Metallica and Nickelback..
You know I have to disagree with you on Nickelback. But Metallica has my respects, but I am not a big fan of theirs.