Is weight loss surgery being abused?

@dloveli (4368)
I have many friends and acquaintances that have opted for bariatric surgery to lose weight. My best friend died from complications due to a gastric bypass procedure. Other friends have lost weight and extremely happy with the outcome. It seems to me that everyone that gains a few pounds, has a child, or some other weight gaining issue should not even be thinking about such an invasive procedure. What ever happen to excercise. I have entertained the idea of surgery and have decided that I can be better served by exercising. These procedures were developed for the super morbidly obese not for someone who could stand to lose 50lbs. I have seen the complications at there worst. I lost my friend. Please make sure its what you need and not a quick fix. Whats your opinion?
Is weight loss surgery being abused? In a word - yes.
@dloveli (4368)
Well said Ambie! I see you are a woman of few words. I wish I was but unfortunately I have opinions on everything. Its sad the society has become so vain that we have to have our stomachs cut down just to lose weight to fit in to society. Im sorry. People have so many other things to worry about. I just hope that we dont start using invasive surgical procedures as a form of dieting. Best WIshes. Thanks dl
It is worrisome.
@Lakota12 (42681)
Wel I am what you see and get lol No I wouldnt think of it altho I do need to get rid of tummy and am limited on what I can and can not do. am hoping our pool helps me in this. as I can swim around and work on some muscles lol
@dloveli (4368)
They say that swimming is one of the best forms of excercise because it utilizes all types of muscles. I think if all you have is a tummy, a few sit ups will take care of it. I am not sure but try googling pool exercises for stomach. Try a discussion on myLot. Someone out there in myLot land has the answer. GOOD LUCK! DL
@Lakota12 (42681)
love to swim. adn cant do set ups it messes up my tail bone and makes it swell awful so no set ups
@kprofgames (3099)
Yes it's being abused. When the procedure first came out people had to qualify for it because insurance companies weren't on board with it. Now insurance companies are all over it because it's deemed almost like preventative health. I know a person that had it and she was doing great and now she's back on track again gaining almost 100lbs back. It is abused but anything that deals with medical and insurance isn't a concern anymore. If you have insurance they'll let you do just about anything.
@dloveli (4368)
I feel you. I have seen both sides and I dont think that it should be used on just anybody. I wish people could really see the down side of the bariatric surgeries. Maybe that would wake them up. Oh well we can only hope. dl
@MsTickle (25051)
In Australia there are moves under way to try and make bariatric surgery for obesity more affordable for poor people who are deemed to be more in need of this help than others. That's a bit of a slap in the face I guess. I feel like they're saying it's only lazy, poor people who are fat slobs and incapable of losing weight by watching what they eat and exercising. So sorry about your loss of your friend. That would have been a difficult time for you.
@dloveli (4368)
Australia is just making it easier for low income people to eat and do things the easy way. Rather than working for it. Maybe they are allowing them to get it for cheap so they can experiment on them with new techniques and medications. It wouldnt be the first time some sneaky stuff was put on the poor. I only hope it all works out for everyone involved. Thanks for your kind sentiments regarding my best friend. I really wish she would have listened to me. Oh well i guess it doesnt matter. I loved her no matter what she weighed. dl
@suzzy3 (8352)
In this country you can only get weight loss surgery if it is really necessary.Thats with the NHS of course those who can pay always seems to have someone to take their money off them.Any surgery has its risks ,I suppose it depends on how you feel and how heavy you are,but you are right excercise is really good for you ,even if someone is big ,just get out there and have some fun.I am so sorry you lost your friend I can think of nothing worse.Take care.
@dloveli (4368)
Thanks suzzy3 for your kind words. I dont mean to sound corny but I am so thankful to have someone understand what I am talking about. It is true that if you have to rely on insurance you are not likely to get surgery without having to surrender your first born. lol It is also a fact that "Money Talks". I have even heard of a dentist that makes dentures from his house so that people can buy them without insurance and red tape. I would think if you have money, anything is possible. Thanks for your response. Hope to hear from you soon. dl
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I agree with you. My mom has a friend that had this surgery done years ago. She had a lot of problems after she had it. Yeah she looked skinny with it which is good but she was sick alot and she had to watch what she was eating still after the surgery.
@dloveli (4368)
I guess you'll have to watch what you eat forever. WHat I am curious about is the extra skin. Did your friend have the sagging skin. What is the sense of losing weight if you're stuck with all that flabby skin. It is one of the most painful surgeries performed by plastic surgeons. If I had to go thru all that pain,aggrivation, fear, I would make sure I researched the doctor, hospital and procedures to be safe. I hope your friend is doing wellnow. dl
@jillhill (37379)
I have a friend that had lapband surgery...and I don't ever want to go throught what she does...and she hasn't lost that much weight! But when we go out to eat she has to sometimes stop and go throw up....It took a small miracle for her to get the surgery...I hope somewhere down the line she feels that it was successful.
@dloveli (4368)
I have also heard that there is alot of complications with these type of surgeries. Also with the lap band, there is a balloon that is right under skin to allow surgeons to tighten the lap band using water as much as patient needs it to cut down their portions. I think that everyone is not a candidate for any kind of bariatric surgery. If I can give any type of advice it would have to be " dont take any surgical procedure lightly. Take the side effects or complication possibilities very seriously. Tell your friend to take it easy and to remember that the lap band can be removed. Good luck to your friend and to you. dl
I think it is. There are many people that are being helped by the surgery and for some, it is like a life-saving surgery. But there are others that have the surgery and have little intention of remaining on a diet. I've watched people get the surgery and within a year are almost back to their original weight. It is an invasive surgery and for some people it can help save their life, but there are some that have surgery for appearances only and really have no intention of changing their eating habits or ways.
@dloveli (4368)
I hate to use the comparison but its like having an abortion. Some people do it for valid reasons and then there are others who use it as birth control. People are taking the warnings seriously. Its as if its a form of plastic surgery. I cant tell you how many people that I know that have had the surgery, lost a bunch of weight and are miserable because they have a ton of saggy skin. Most insurances wont cover this procedure because its expensive, considered cosmetic, and said to be the most painful of all plastic surgeries. I contemplated having the surgery but wouldnt want to have those issues. In the end I just changed my bahaviors and walked my dogs a little more and have lost over 100 pounds. Sometimes you just have to have a little faith in yourself. If I can do it, anyone can. Thanks dl
@Debs_place (10524)
I think what we need is a society that educates people and makes it easier to eat healthy and lose weight. I have had friends who had it, each of them needed to lose about 100 pounds. One did great for the first 2 years then went back to eating her bacon sandwiches and about 5 years after the surgery had only lost about 50 pounds but she is slowly gaining weight, they never modified her behavior, she started eating a bit healthier in small amounts, just a few tablespoons at a meal, then she started adding an extra teaspoon than an extra tablespoon. Then it was less fruit and more cookies. The other friend thought it was a miracle cure, she lost about 20 pounds and then nibbles on so much that she now weighs 50 pounds more then before the surgery. Yes, it is being abused. I am in the process of losing weight and have lost 30 pounds so far, I figure it will be another year before I get to my goal. But no surgery for me, just fruits and veggies and some exercise.
@Qaeyious (2361)
This is being done in the United States? Yes, when the patient needs to lose several hundred pounds, the procedure can be a lifesaver. But only 50 pounds? I hope the survivors have the option of malpractice. I know that is the main cause of high medical costs, but when they do something like that, just for a few extra bucks ...
@stephcjh (32327)
I am not sure if it is being abused or not. I know a couple of people who had it done but it took alot for them to finally get the surgeons to do it. They did not abuse it though.
@DrRac0 (126)
yes, they think thats the easisest way to lose weight