What is it that upsets people about gay marriage?

I aim this at those strongly opposed. I am really interested in the reasons. I do not benefit from it if it happens, but others seem to feel it will effect them personally if it is allowed. I have tried to have this discussion with people I know who are against it, and it usually comes down to "I don't want to argue" or "it is just wrong/sick (so on)..." And left at that. That is not a reason. There are many things that are seen as wrong by a few, and are allowed to continue. I have heard the platform from radio a few years ago that it will destroy marriage, but I thought that is what divorce was doing anyhow. What about adultery? I never hear that as an issue. So, that cannot be the reason. I have gotten speculation from people who are for the issue, on why some are not, but to me, someone telling me why "the enemy" feels a certain way is not the same as hearing it from the source. So, tell me your thoughts. Why is gay marriage a bad thing?
@khayshenz (1384)
I don't have anything against gay people - in fact, I love them. However, I truly believe that they are simply lost and confused (go on and hit me up on this - get my rating lower - that's what I get for saying what's on my mind). The human mind is a powerful thing - however, you can't change the fact that you have an XX or an XY chromosome! That right there is microscopically true. So there's no such thing as an XYX or YXX or whatever other chromosome for non-female or non-male or wannabe-female or wannabe-male (of course I'm only talking humans here). Marriage is between a man and a woman - and it is historically mentioned in the Bible first before "the law" declared it as such. And yes we've tarnished holy matrimony so much - we've gotten divorce left and right, then we cheat on our spouses, the list goes on and on. Additionally - the main purpose of marriage is to pro-create. And obviously, an XX and another XX CANNOT procreate. That's just how God intended it, because they're not meant to be together!
@jb78000 (15163)
actually there are more genetic combinations than xx and xy, although these combinations usually have other problems. anyway i've no intention of having kids, does that mean i can't get married either?
@khayshenz (1384)
There are only two genetic combinations for human beings. And pro-creation is an additional reason WHY God intended for marriage to be a man and a woman. Cheers!
My intention is not to draw out people with certain beliefs to rate them a certain way. I honestly wanted an insight to a view I have not had the opportunity to hear. The point being made of biology is one that had came to mind, but I never had heard anyone else really mention on the against gay-marriage argument. I have came up with a theory that would anger both sides on that, and that even compliments most of what you said. I suppose my main dilemma is of that in the roll of government. I do not see why anyone really cares what sort of benefits someone else is getting. I have been in a committed relationship for over ten years, and being biologically able to reproduce, but choosing to not. Others in less fortunate situations take no real precaution to decrease their chances of bringing into the world a life they cannot truly tend to, and are able to draw from funding we all contribute to. Even though those families add to the burden of social funding, decreasing the amount of money available, over a lifestyle choice, I do not feel there should be a ban. It would not effect me either way, but sometimes, I catch myself thinking it is a terrible thought to allow the government to rule by moral ideology; as it can change much. There are aspects of society that I regard as highly immoral, even insulting to what I deem as common sense. Most people would not be so interested in living by my standards. I wonder how others are able to keep that from mind: What if what I feel is not the majority, and society makes a radical change to deem my way of life as illegal? Thank you for the response! I was hoping I would get the chance to read a thought-out against position. Appreciated.
@UK_Shree (3604)
I don't personally feel there is anything wrong with marriage between two homosexual people that are in a loving relationship with each other. I think the people that do not agree with it are mainly those who are probably against it for religious reasons. I really don't think it needs to be a taboo thing. Homosexuality is seen in nature all the time, between animals, insects etc.
I agree that it should not be seen as taboo, though there are a lot of things animals do that are not acceptable for humans. Though, most species do seem to have an existance not so tortured as many from our own species.
@jb78000 (15163)
can't see anything wrong with it, i'm straight but have friends that have been completely committed to each other for years so why not let them get married?
I think a lot of people think of it from the legal perspective. I have been wondering about the moral side, which is usually linked with the opposed, and basically wanting a clear definition as to why it insults their sense of morality. I think that if even made legal for them to wed, they still will have a long road ahead. A gay couple seems to be taken less seriously, even by those who do not deem the connection as immoral, I have noticed.