My 24 year old son has the MUMPS.

@speakeasy (4215)
Due to the economy and a few other factors, my 24 year old son is living with us. The other day I came home and found out he had a headache; so, I gave him something for the pain and didn't worry about it. The next day I came home and the right side of his face was all swollen, he still had a headache, and he had a slight fever. His jaw hurt if you applied pressure; so, we thought maybe he had an abcessed tooth. By the next morning his fever was 101.3 F and his face was still swollen; so, we took him in to the Urgent Care Center. To our surprise and amazement, the diagnosis was that he had the MUMPS. He had the vaccinated for this when he was little AND he had the booster shot. We had been told this gave you lifetime immunity against this disease. However, when we asked the doctor, we were told that they were discovering that a small percentage of people who got the shot were contracting the mumps between the ages of 21 and 30. If a person made it past age 30 without getting the mumps, their immunity was probably good for their lifetime. THought I would pass this info on to others so they would not be as surprised as we were when it happened in our family.
@lwy519 (159)
Wow,I am very sad to hear that,I wish your son get well soon.Mumps is not a really serious disease,he can renew soon.
@speakeasy (4215)
He is already on the mend. Once we knew what the problem was (and, that there is no treatment other than tylenol to keep the fever down); I went on the offensive! Vitamins E, C, and B12 to strengthen the immune system and Vitamin A which acts as an antiviral (mumps is caused by a virus). His fever is down to normal and the swelling is starting to come down already. He feels much better; but one side of his face is still noticeable puffy. A few more days and that should be normal again too.
@spalladino (17922)
Wow, your poor son! I'm 52 and I remember having the mumps...at the same time that my brother had them...and we were miserable. I had always thought that vaccines gave you lifetime immunity, too, but it's not surprising that some folks are turning up with the illness. I hope he recovers soon.
@speakeasy (4215)
Thank you. The doctors said that most people keep the immunity from the vaccines for their lifetime; but, between 3% - 5% of the people seem to "outgrow" their immunity sometime in thier 20's. I remember having the mumps when I was younger also. That was before the vaccine was widely available. My younger sister had the mumps about the same time I did; but, my youngest sister wasn't born then and after she was born, she was able to be vaccinated and never got them.