If I had to hear this one more time....

@reinydawn (11649)
Ugh!!! I got selected to be on a jury for a trial this week. It started yesterday and ended today. I don't think the lawyer for the defense really knew what she was doing. She asked the same question repeatedly - especially if the witness disagreed with her. There was one point when she had asked this one question like for the 8th time, I was ready to raise my hand and say "PICK ME! PICK ME!! I know this one!" But what was worse than that was that most of her talking yesterday was "Courts indulgence" while she was trying to figure out what the heck she was going to ask the witness. It was so frustrating that even the judge was rolling his eyes at her!!!
@mentalward (14695)
She wasn't by any chance a public defender, was she? Before anyone gets up in arms here, let me apologize for anything I may write wrongly here. The thing is, I've known some public defenders. One was a friend of mine who tried going it on his own for years before finally calling it quits and becoming a public defender. He started out as my divorce lawyer. He was okay with that, but when I used him after I had run into the back of a truck because I had no brakes only two months after my brakes were "supposedly" fixed by the dealership where I bought the car and filed suit against the dealership, he just froze solid in front of the judge and the dealership's attorneys. He fumbled through his notes, saying more "uhh's" and "umm's" than I had heard in a long time! I lost that case and was absolutely furious! I stomped out of the courtroom, came home and began slamming doors and screaming. He showed up a few minutes later to see if I was "all right". Yeah, sure, you idiot! I'm fine! I just lost a sure case because you stink as a lawyer! You should have gone into medicine instead of law!" (The judge called it an "isolated incident" although it wasn't isolated... my then husband had a similar accident. That's when I thought to get the brakes looked at by a place specifically dealing with brakes and they told me that he wouldn't put his own family in that car because the brakes were so shot and the dealership did nothing to fix them. My lawyer, while we were sitting outside the courtroom waiting to go inside, said, "I wish your husband was here." Like, WTF??? You're the lawyer, you moron! You could have subpoenaed him! So, he became a public defender. He's a nice guy, just an awful lawyer. Sorry this got so long-winded but it brought up a lot of memories, it's late and I've already taken my pain medication so I'm not thinking about time or even half of what I'm saying. LOL Anyway, I'm happy to hear that you DIDN'T raise your hand and say "PICK ME! PICK ME!"
@reinydawn (11649)
Actually, this was the defense lawyer! I would have expected it from the public defender because you really don't know what you're going to get there. But the public defender was right on his game. I mean he had it all together - he just had a lousy case to try to defend. I do think the defense attorney was pretty new to trials, probably has settled everything out of court before, and she looked pretty young so I don't think she had much experience. I know I wouldn't want her on my case!
@mentalward (14695)
Maybe she'll give up and become a public defender like my friend did. I know that he was a terrible attorney on his own but he's been a public defender for quite awhile now, so I guess, as far as public defenders go, he's doing an okay job. I think that's where some of them should start out, anyway, just to get some experience under their belts before heading out on their own or joining with an established practice.
@reinydawn (11649)
I just hope I don't have to see her in court again, she's painful!
@suzzy3 (8352)
A bit like cornering a small child with chocolate all over their faces denying they ate it.We have a programme called who wants to be a millionaire and if a contestant does not know the answer they have the option to phone a friend,or ask the audience.Sounds really funny but frustrating if you are going through it.Certainly was an experience for you.
@reinydawn (11649)
I used to watch that show a lot, it was kinda neat. Yeah, being in court sure is an experience - thankfully one I don't have to repeat for a while!
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
Shouldn't she go back to Law School then? I can understand if she was straight out of law school but I though they were following the lawyers around that were more experienced. That must have been frustrating to deal with, I think I would have fallen asleep after the second time of that. It'd make me want to find the defendant guilty just because the lawyer wasn't doing her job properly.
@reinydawn (11649)
I was afraid we were going to feel the same way, even though it was clearly evident that her client was not guilty of the charges that were brought against him. I know the sheriff fell asleep a couple times, I'm pretty sure the bailiff nodded off once or twice, and the judge was having a pretty hard time at it too!