Do Parents Expect To Much?

@erikmama (12929)
I see all the time parents yelling and screaming at their children. I've seen mothers making an older child watch a younger one and then be held responsible if something happens. So many different things I can talk about. I think parents sometimes expect their children to beahve as if they were grown. What do you think?
@MsTickle (25050)
I think many parents have unrealistic expectations of older siblings and their role in the family to do with responsibility. I believe older kids become bossy and controlling and the younger ones feel bullied and unable to stand up for themselves...hence they have low self esteem. Yes, I think parents do this when they have not figured out what a family is about, i.e. love, caring, respect etc. Parents go into parenthood with blindfolds on and mostly stuff things up. Each generation though in some cases gets a little better at it. We live in hope always.
@erikmama (12929)
I have a friend right now who has two kids, ages 6 and 8 months. THe older boy is expected to waycgh the baby all of the time, includig give her her bottles. I think that is a little to much.He even told her earlier he needed a bottle for her. I of course think we should have goals and expectations for our kids, but keep in mind that they are just that-kids and to let them be kids.
@MsTickle (25050)
What I didn't say but will add now is that many parents are bone lazy!. Heaps of parents get the older child to assume the responsibility for siblings that should be theirs alone....no-one would ever admit that though. My 2 girls were close together so I did the Mum thing when they were babies. After they started school I became a single parent and had to work full time so eventually, I was making the 10 year old responsible for the chores getting done...and of course her younger sister wouldn't pull her weight. Things got real ugly with 2 of us trying to play fair and the other one not co-operating. Thanks for BR...I wonder if you will get more responses now your discussion has had a kick?
I think it depends on the parents and the type of family home that they run. You have to expect things of your children in order for them to learn and grow up but i sometimes feel that people do push their children. You need to try and strike the right balance between being pushy and teaching them enough about life skills and growing up.
@erikmama (12929)
Of course a part o being a good parent is expectations being set for them. And you want your kids to do well in everythin that they do/