Old Magazines and Newspapers

Can anyone think of something useful/fun/different to do with old magazines that doesn't involve throwing them in the recycle bin, papier mache, paper weaving, collage, or squashing them into paper logs/bricks for the fire (I haven't left much scope have I? lol)
@matsulori (269)
I don't want to re-write the whole thing here, but check out my discussion on crafting with newspapers. Let me know if it was useful to you, and if you make anything!
Yes, this is similar. The big difference is in stability. You can actually build boxes out of the rolled newspapers and/or magazines. The above link is for hollow tubes. However, the hollow tubes would be MUCH faster for a quick afternoon's crafting.
@neededhope (1085)
I have seen the coolest thing for using magazines. But I"m not sure where to find it on the internet. I see people make tops to wear out of them.. It's like a corset and it's make comepletely out of magazines. I do beleive symplicity has the pattern. I haven't made them yet and not sure how they would feel or how difficult they'd be to put togetheir. But they do look pretty.
Sounds interesting. I have had a good look too but can't find anything. Where did you see them? Are you sure it wasn't just a fabric with a magazine print?
I seen it at my hobby store on a pattern. The store was called Hobby Lobby. And yes it's actually magazines. They called it a green or recycle... Grrr can't think of what they said in teh symplicity magazine.. You know the ones you sit down and look at.
@cher913 (25865)
have you ever tried to make beads out of magazine pages? i am sure you would find some directions somewhere on the internet. they make really nice necklaces. all you do is cut the magazines into long triagles and roll them.
Yes I have heard of that - but thanks anyway. I think you wind them onto knitting needles don't you? would make a nice bead curtain
You start the roll on one of those bamboo skewers you can buy at the grocery store, or you can use a piece of a wire hanger.
@submerryn (1304)
hi snugasabugxxx, I have just made a frame out of the old magazines pages.. have a look at it here. :) http://www.crafty-crafted.com/origami/origami-frame/
@submerryn (1304)
Origami Frame - Dont let your old magazines go to waste. Create a nice frame out of it.
sorry, i forgot to insert the picture...
That's a nice idea - will remember it for when my grandson gets a bit older
@irishidid (8718)
I don't know if this is different enough for you, but here's an article I wrote on the subject. http://www.helium.com/items/1027405-create-unique-beads-in-your-kitchen
Well actually - it's not new or different, but you HAVE jogged my memory I forgot all about paper beads Thankyou!
@irishidid (8718)
You're quite welcome. Well I thought it was different, but perhaps someone has done beads this way too. Great minds think alike ya know.
@ElicBxn (61067)
http://www.craftstylish.com/item/45111/how-to-make-a-magazine-reed-box
Now THAT is really really nice! I am keen to have a go - but will have to do it in secret ha ha cz I have so many unfinished projects still under the bed. It must be difficult to get the colours matching? I suppose you could get a big big box, make lots and lots and lots of the "reeds" and then decide on a colour combination
@cutepenguin (6448)
I once took a bunch of paper and made new paper with it. I tore it into strips, blended it in a blender with water, then used a screen and a tub to sort of filter the water out. I found the instructions online.
Yes, I have made recycled paper like this - however I will never use newspaper again for this! - the sticky black mess left on all the equipment and bowls was impossible to remove!
aside for keeping or trowing news paper and magazine we can use them in covering our books or using them in covering our fried food,,, to sip the exes oil..
AH reminds me of the days when all takeaway food came wrapped in newspaper
I sometimes take scrap paper/newspapers/magazines to various daycares and schools in the neighborhood. Many of them will take some of the items for art projects. My office used to take all of the newspapers and scrap papers to the schools to drop in their recyling bin in the parking lot. The schools would recycle and use the money for projects, events and supplies at the school. If the magazines were made of thick paper with great photos I would make envelopes out of them with an envelope template that you can buy at a craft store.