Do you expect a "thank you" from your fellow Freecyclers?

Admittedly, I get a little ticked off when someone picks up something from me and does not bother to thank me - either in person, email, or leaving a note. I ALWAYS thank the person beforehand for picking me to receieve their item. And I thank them afterwards via email even if I thanked them personally when picking up. I just want to show that their item is much appreciated - as well as their generosity. Is a little common courtesy too much to ask?
@cher913 (25884)
most of the freecyclers are really good in my are but i think that manners are on the way out no matter where you are.
That's so sad, but so true! The past few months I've give a lot of stuff away . . . and I'd say more than half did not bother to say thank you when they got my stuff. Some left notes or emailed me - and that just made my day. But to not hear from the others sort of left me hanging. Tsk tsk!!
Gratitude is the part of the "currency" structure of freecycling. And so is giving. When you say thank you, you've made a deposit in your personal freecycling account. And when you give something away, you've made another deposit in your personal freecycling account. You have a + balance and can now "spend" that by asking for something from a fellow freecycler. That's my view of what makes it a sustainable system.
That is an excellent "currency system" - I love the way you stated this! All too often I don't get a thank you of any kind from those who pick up from me from Freecycle . . . and I give away tons of stuff. I don't mind giving away things to those who really need it, but just a simple "thank you" - whether it's an email or small note would be much appreciated. That's what I do anyway when I pick up from others - it's the least I could do for someone who has graciously given away their item! Thank you for your view - it makes total sense.
I have never been thanked by anyone for items I've given and I've never considered that people would like to be thanked. I always thought that by donating something yourself you were giving back. But now that you mention it, I should have thanked people and regret my insensitivity. Thank you for pointing it out. And please forgive the people like me who were not meaning to offend, and really are grateful for the wonderful things we have found on Freecycle.
Wow! Well, thanks for responding . . . it's quite possible others have thought the same as you . . . and I'm glad I reached at least one Freecycler out there! I'm sure you are grateful for the treasures we find on Freecycle . . . it's just nice to acknowledge the people who have donated to the cause.
@Barbietre (1440)
I agree. Sometimes they thank me, sometimes they not. I always do it and sometimes go so far as sending a thank you note.
That's great you are one of the courteous and thoughtful Freecycle folks! I think it's only polite to say thank you . . . afterall, we are all receiving free items at the graciousness of the giver . . . a thank you is the least we can give in return!! One person once left some fruit from their yard as a thank you - that was very nice!