Are you a good cook who can use a cookbook or are you actually a creative cook?

I love cooking, but admit I am more of a cook who can follow directions from a great recipe to make great food. At times I might tweek a few ingredients to change it to my taste, but the most often the original recipe is from a book or recipe website. Very few friends I know are creative cooks who just take ingredients and wing it to make their own edible concoctions. I'm not that adventurous (only on rare occasions), how about you?
as far as baking is concerned i have to follow a recipe to the T or else it will never turn out right. lol. though baking is more of a science i think. so it would be that way. now cooking though... that is different. i can pretty much take anything in the pantry and put it together to make something yummy! and i take pride in myself that i am able to do this. :) now sometimes i do search the web or cookbooks if there is something specific i want to make. but i pretty much make it once that way and then i never make it the same way again. i have to make it my own. put my own spin on it.. ya know.
That is true - baking is a science! I haven't gotten too adventurous with my own baking recipes except to add a few different ingredients here and there. That's great you can whip things out from the pantry and whip something together! I do a lot of website research for recipes . . . but I have to admit I follow most of the recipes the way it is . . . unless I'm missing an ingredient. I sure need to experiment more! Good for you and your cooking talents!
I'm able to follow directions and there are times when I have to make changes in the recipe because I don't have a particular ingredient, but I'm not that creative when it comes to developing my own recipe. I don't have the knowledge needed to know what flavors go well with others. I admire those cooks who can come up with new and tasty ideas.
You sound like me!! Yes, every now and then I'll add or subtract ingredients from a given recipe. I wish I were more creative to make my own recipes, but often it's just a revised version of a base recipe. I admire innovative cooks too. Now I'm going to go watch some cooking shows for inspiration - hee hee!
@patofgold23 (5075)
i came from a family of good cooks..not that they have cooking careers or something..but we just know how to make good food...I have learned cooking at a very young age . I was greatly influenced by both my grandmas and my mom herself..they cook non-stop.. so i help them cook and they taught me how..and when I was in 5ht grade I could cook meals for the whole family and bake a good cake successfuly... i grew up in the kitchen and i have learned to cook without the use of a cookbook..if I see something new..i just ask how it's done, or what they put in it,,,and I can figure out how to make it... I love to experiment too..sometimes they turn out really good..sometimes just "edible" LOLZ! but it sure is great to know how to cook........(saves you lots of money too)
It's so wonderful growing up with a talent that's in the family! You probably have a lot of family recipes in your head - yah, you don't need a cookbook! I baked a lot in my teens, but my mom didn't like me to make full meals for the family (I think she was skeptical and wanted to make sure there was real food that was edible at the dinnertable - ha ha), so I mostly stayed out of the kitchen. So now with my little one, I invite her into the kitchen as much as possible so she has confidence with cooking skills early on like you. What your family passed on to you is fabulous - and yes, it does save money!
I have a small library of cook books but I don´t read them anymore. Maybe I use my favorite cookbook to make special things with the grandchildren, like scotch pankakes, chocolate chip cookies and such. I do it mainly so they try to read and understand the English. Our language is Spanish and the cookbook I love is The joy of cooking. I create al the meals I make and not once they come out the same. Depending on what´s in the fridge and what special spices I want to put in the moment, they turn out diferent. There are a lot of meals that my grandchidren hate at their homes but love when I make them. Even if sometimes I put a little bit of hot chile or other spices children are not acoustumed to eat. Happy posting. I´ll put a picture of and appetizer one of my freinds likes particulary. It´s sweet peppers and mushrooms in an olive oil with garlic. Sometimes while I´m cooking, I find the colors so beautiful that I take pictures right there.
Thank you for posting up your appetizer picture . . . may I have a sample because it sounds so good? Hee hee! I have been wanting to create my own book of recipes of foods I have made (so I don't have to search in all the different cookbooks) and add photos, but with so little time that project has been put on the back burner. What a great way for your grandkids to learn English - through cookbooks and the experience of cooking! The Joy of Cooking is in my personal library as well (it has everything!). Happy cooking to you!!
@sehlers (166)
It depends on what I'm making. Baking I tend to follow a recipe. Soups and salads, not so much. Casseroles, never. I do most of my cooking by looking to see what I have in the house and throwing it together. It usually turns out pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.
I tend to follow baking recipes too (apparently it's a science, so the measurements need to be correct). Ok, salad I can manage without a cookbook - hee hee. I have created my own soups, but I do need a cookbook to make different soups (otherwise all my soups turn out tasting the same!). And casseroles I like using the book for variety as well. So nice to be proud of your own cooking! :)