Do the points really matter in Yahoo Answers . . . to you?

Often you'll find people saying that the points should not matter in Yahoo Answers. We should feel good that we're trying to help other people. Is this true for you? For me, it doesn't and it does. Points don't equate to anything in life - so what if I have a gazillion points - it's not like I can exchange it for money or anything tangible. I enjoy answering questions, but admittedly, even I like the game of gaining points. It was a motivating factor for me to climb up the ladder . . . to first be a top contributor and then the top answerer of my sub-category and category. It may be silly to want a status on Yahoo Answers. . . but hey, it's nice to have some kind of reward!!
@blion23 (404)
I don't think that the points are very important. The points don't really work towards anything like prizes or gift cards. However, it is the best place to go for answers, most people there are very knowledgeable and very nice and I love the site because of those too things. But I agree it would be nice to get a prize or something.
The points in Yahoo Answers don't mean any sort of a payout, like myLot, but isn't getting a top status (like being one of the top answerers) a motivating factor? When I was answering in scattered categories, it didn't mean much, but once I found that one category I knew I could soar in, I wanted to rack up the points. Yes, there are knowlegeable and nice folks out there (but there are exact opposites too).