disability scamming

@erikmama (12929)
Although I beleive there are many people who need and deseve checks for their disabilities, I feel the system is being very badly abused. Mental Health conditions can qualify you for a disability check, and I think this is where a lot of people are getting them. just this am i overheard a conversation fromn a lady stating she was able to retire early at age 29 because she"pretended to be crazy". What do you think? is it to easy for people to fake illnesses, esp.mental illness, and get a check that they do not need or deserve?
@anne25penn (3310)
Well probably it is easy to claim disability in your countries. My mother has cancer and her social security disability claims took a lot of work before it could be approved and it was only for a year. Our social security said that we needed to file the disability again in a year, and we needed to provide medical abstracts and CT scan results, etc. Their reason for this is in case my mother becomes well and does not need the disability checks anymore. And these checks are not a big amount. If converted it is only around $50 and that is for a months' worth of disability. It is also hard to claim disability because I am not sure how our social security system defines disability. I see on their website that there is a percentage like if you lose one ear or one eye. It's not 100% disability. LOL. I do believe that only people who deserve disability checks should be given this benefit that is due to them. And it is quite sad that other people without disabilities file claims even if they are not disabled.
@erikmama (12929)
i wouldnt say it is easy. it is a really long drawn out process. Sometimes you have to hire a lawyer. but the laws are way to leniant and people abuse it not only with mental disabilities but physical as well. I just think its mostly the mental.
@bitoffun (203)
I will be 50 in November. Back in 2003 I was in a car accident. I was hit from behind. Most of my working life I have driven for a living, cab driver, parts delivery, flower delivery courier. Well that last time was it. I ended up with two spinal fusions.I applied for disability in 2005. I lost my job because I was facing my second sugery and they didn`t now if or when I could come back. I was laready having a hard time at work. I delivered auto parts but everyoe helped me cause they knew my back was bad. Anyway, I was denied after my hearing. I have an attorney too. Now it is in appeal since July of 2008. They found 3 jobs that I supposedly can do at the hearing. I don`t want disability I want a job. I can make more money with a minimum wage job than I can on disability. My husband works full time at the VA hospital here but he doesn`t make enough for us to keep up with bills and food. We have 3 kids living here. 15, 18, 21. The two oldest are trying their best to find work. They have part time jobs, they both went to Job Corp and learned a trade but no one is hiring them. I can`t stand up more than 10 mins, I can`t walk very far without my cane and i still hurt anyway. I use a chair with wheels to cook dinner and do dishes. I also have depression , anxiety, OCD and have been on meds for those for years. I still worked though. I even have my congressman trying to help me.My husband just took on more hours at work, he is a health tech but can do much more cause he was a medic in the navy for 10 yrs. They are giving him a lot more to do than just what a regular tech would do cause he knows how to do it. So come Jan. 2010 we might be able to afford insurance and I can get surgery to take the hardware out of my back. That may make my back much better and I won`t need disability. I WILL go back to work.
@erikmama (12929)
Bitoffun- I am so sorry to hear about your car accidnet, and I know that it is been quite sometime since I started this discussion, bnut I hope that you are feeling and doing better now.
@lelin1123 (15635)
• Puerto Rico
Are you kidding at the age of 29 she is faking being mentally ill. This is really making me mad. What abuse of the system. This is unbelievable. I have worked all of my life (32 years) and now I can't find a well paying job with medical benefits, but this person is lying about her disablities and getting a check every month. Oh I wish I hadn't come across this discussion because its really aggravating to know that this is going on.
@erikmama (12929)
i agree! i wouldn ot want to fake this period. i cannot believe people are so lazy and uncaring. do they not realize they are taking away from people who really need the help who are not able to work?
@lelin1123 (15635)
• Puerto Rico
No they don't care about anyone else. They only care about themselves and how they can continue to cheat the system. They can continue to get their monthly check and live without any type of real responsiblities.
@dmrone (750)
Hi! Yes i believe it is easy for some people to get a check for disability, by scamming. Several years ago, where i live people were taking their children to get them on disability. They were able to get them on disability, and they were able to do it by saying their children had nightmares. Yes, i said nightmares, and they were able to get the checks for their children, and several had 3, or 4 children, and they got checks for all of them. Some people need the disability checks, because they are disabled, but they are alot who get them and don't need them. They have scammed the system, and they are cheating people who really need them.
@erikmama (12929)
Scammers are everywhere and are always going to be. I know that now they have people watching and looking out for these things and more and more poeple are being busted. And I am glad. There are so many people out there who need help and can not get it but lazy people can sit back and get it with no problem. These people got it because there kids have nightmares? Well, I have been in an abusive relationship for 6 years and had more than my share of heartaches and nightmares. Should I fo appply now? It is CRAZY!
@maximax8 (30105)
The lady "pretended to be crazy" sounds terrible. People that pretend to be mentally ill are shocking. A person should get what they are deserve because of their disabilities. My toddler son has spina bifida and hydrocephalus. He is physically disabled. He probably won't ever be able to walk. He needs catheter care. He has had two operations and one put a shunt into his head. He is a genuine disabled person.
@erikmama (12929)
i did not mean to offend anyone with that sentence, i was quoting what she said. it is terrible for people like her.
@KrauseHome (36730)
Personally SSI has always been where a lot of people will SCAM the system. I know many people who are supposidly unable to work that you will see standing out there with the Signs "Will Work For Food" or selling stuff around places making more $$ than the average worker does, or has a boyfriend etc. living with them and they still earn all their $$ with no questions ever asked. When you have people who have worked all of their life then elidigible for Medicare and loosing their benefits and made to pay such outrageous fees for Medical help that is rediculous. I am not saying everyone who gets SSI is or will scam the system, but truthfully if the Welfare and SSI people would evaluate people a little closer there would be a lot more $$ to go around for those who really need it for sure.
@rosepedal64 (4191)
I know that there are really people out there who have the mental illness on a serious note. But to claim that she was crazy as her words to get a check. Then I believe the system over looked her..I also know a lady that got disablity on mental illness and now she is going to college. If she has a mental illness how is she able to go into a classroom in a college..Who knows...Great discussion erikmama..
@erikmama (12929)
I think there are many, many people like this girl, they are just not so open about it. It is so sad too that people so young would choose to do this. i want and need to work. i have been diagnosed with a mental illness(depression) but it does not stop me from wanting a job. You are right, lots of people need this help and I am sure some of them cvan't get the help they need because of so many people abusing the system.
Excellent topic. It caught my interest right away as I am suffering depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and show some mild symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. And I am under the care of both a therapist and a medical doctor, by the way. Here is my take on the whole thing: Can this form of illness be diagnosed and allow patients to become life-time disabled crookedly? Yes. In fact, to be honest, I question myself from time to time-is this really as bad as I make it out to be? Sometimes it isn't. But the days where true panic sets in or overbearing depression takes over where I can hardly complete 2 or 3 things in a day's time because I lack energy and am self absorbed in my own thoughts of negativity, I realize I do have a problem. Pretending to be crazy. That is wrong for one to blatantly admit it, and it's too bad you could not have turned her in. Being diagnosed with a mental illness, she saying something like that could actually get her landed in a psych ward for living a lie-which is detramental to one's mind if they have one in the first place and can actually envoke high stress, multiple personality disorder, etc. To the ones who have a hard time because of hereditary and chemical imbalances-the roller coaster of certain mental illnesses can put tremendous pressure on one's psyche and self esteem-I "people watch" in my mind a lot-viewing "normal" people who have steady jobs and great relationships, and I am envious at times of them because I am not stable like that, though I wish I was. I am on trial runs for meds meaning I am at the guinea pig stage. I am hoping that I find a med that really works in keeping me focused, positive, and all around "sane" in the sense that I can handle things is a normal, rational way, but here we go on med number 4 starting tomorrow.(This is the 4th in a year's time, by the way, 4 total though as well.) Being on meds that don't workor ones that offer horrendous side effects sucks! Someday-I am more often than not pessimistic about the whole thing, but that is the nature of depression-feeling lost, hopeless, and without a promise that there really is a way out of it.
@prinzcy (5036)
I do believe that some people do have that ability. They can fake illness and almost everything to get what they want. My sister's subordinate can cough automatically like he's sick when he's applying for sick leave. I think he's a good actor. Some even fake to make people sympathize and donate money for them. I read about a man in a wheelchair that received donation online to help me pay his living. It appeared he can dance and was celebrating when someone took his picture.
@erikmama (12929)
I am sure that there are a lot more that do it than you could ever imagine! People are lazy and trifling and do whatever it takes to get a hand out while hard working folks can never seem to make ends meet. It is very sad. I've even seen it on here, people asking or begging for everony on here to throw them just 50 cents or $1 each! So crazy.
The problem belongs to the health service you have in your country. It´s a doctor´s responsibility to certify mental or other illness. I think the doctors are the ones who are not doing their jobs well and people who deserve help will not get it because of them. Patients cannot feign illness if they are checked appropiatly.