HEY!! I'm on the PHONE!!

@mzz663 (2782)
Why is it that no one in the house bothers you at all until you're on the phone on an important call? Seems the minute my phone rings, everyone in the house has something important to tell me and I'm missing half of the call. The minute I hang up, they all go back to what they were doing before my phone rang....
@dragon54u (31638)
HA! What a familiar story! It always happened when I had my family at home--one of the boys would get hurt, they would begin to fight, they'd need something right NOW! And of course the husband would need something when he was home, too, but most often it was the kids. It's just a fact of parenthood that every mother to be should be told about! I solved my problem. I finally told my kids that when someone was on the phone they were not to be disturbed unless someone was bleeding, there was a fire or smoke, or some other emergency. If they violated that rule they would lose their own phone privileges for the next 36 hours (cause sleeping time doesn't count!). After a couple of times, it worked like a charm! Too bad I didn't catch onto this strategy when they were younger.
@mzz663 (2782)
Hmmmm.....sounds like a good idea! Now what can I do to make the dogs behave themselves?!
@dragon54u (31638)
When I want my dogs to stay quiet while I work or happy when I'm away I give them bully sticks. I've been doing that for 15 years ever since I discovered them at a local feed store in Arizona. One stick will last my Gus, a VERY strong chewer, for hours. I get the lightly smoked 6" ones from Best Bully Sticks, they're the cheapest. Bad behavior results in sanctions for kids, treats for dogs--what's this world coming to?!
@ibuemma (2954)
It's funny, because that's exactly what my kids doing. When I'm 'free' they don't have anything to say. When start dialing, or when my phone start ringing and thaey start calling "mommy,..." I have to put my finger up and remain them that I'm on the phone.
@mzz663 (2782)
You're lucky! When I let these guys know I'm on the phone they get quiet for a minute or less and then start up again. Seems like everything gets really quiet after I'm finished with the call.
@stephcjh (32327)
It seems to be that way when you have a dog also. It seems the dog starts barking and you cannot hear a thing when you are on the phone. I hardly ever use the phone but it is always something, it seems.
@mzz663 (2782)
lol...I get that too, stephcjh! The dogs do the same thing here. I try to go hide in another room and shut the door and then the kids come in and the dogs seem to follow.
@voldrox (7200)
HI mzz well i don't know but somehow people are giving their attention to you when you have a phone call, sometimes it happens with me too, at all other times they would be doing their own thing and when my call comes they seem to stop doing their things for a while to listen to me talk on phone, in your case i don't understand what they want to say when you are on the phone but when it is me sometimes they like to listen to me when speaking on the phone and it really bugs! have a nice day mzz!
@Melbee11 (233)
I hate when people bother's you when your on the phone. It suck's but, I think it's because they like messing around with you. I do it to my sister all the time. It's fun to mess around with her and the people she is talking to. I make friends that way too. Some of her friends think I'm funnier than she is. :D
@mzz663 (2782)
Hmmm.....I can understand your point of view! I think I might have to pay attention and see if that might be what it is....for attention, not just from me!!
The only time this applies with my husband and I is if someone calls on the VOIP, and I'm on the internet, because with our low bandwidth it'll boot me off. I'm usually getting in there asking him to call the caller back on the house phone (I have free long distance so he can use it as much as he pleases), so that I can get back to what I am doing on the internet. it's only fair. Why should I be booted off of the computer, just because he gets a phone call? He always does. He tells the person he's going to switch phones, and will call them back within 30 seconds. He's a great husband!!!
@mzz663 (2782)
Wow!! You're lucky!!