If you see a penny on the ground, do you pick it up?

Los Angeles, California
A penny really isn't worth a whole lot these days. But as a lot of people will say, every penny counts. I know some parents won't let their kids pick up dirty pennies off the ground, but my child gets excited finding any sort of coin - so I let her. She proudly puts it in her pocket and promptly saves it in her piggy bank when we get home. She can always wash her hands - no big deal. And picking up money from the ground might sound like nothing, but my friend's mother who walks every morning claims she got over 100 dollars in change in the course of a year - just from her walks. Do you pick pennies off the ground? Or do you pass them by - because a penny really isn't much?
@aerous (13457)
If I'm the one to see the penny on the ground I will pick it up. Because no dollar is being counted if there is no penny...But whatever it is I pick it up, my friend. Because at this days, money is very important and that value is good for adding to some other pennies...Have a nice day!
Yes, any addition to what we already have always helps - at least in the way of money. An extra penny means more money, even if it's a scrappy amount. Pennies are always worth value as it can be a part of a bigger amounth.
@aerous (13457)
You right, my friend. I do agree with you 100% and this is Chinese, value their money. That is why most Chinese, now is richer than any other nationalities...have a nice day!
Perhaps our economy is down due to too many people dropping their money on the ground and not everyone trying to pick them up - hee hee. I come from a family that is very careful with money . . . so I was definitely taught to value every penny earned - or found!
Hell yeah, I pick up any change I'm lucky enough to see. I have so many lucky pennies and a few lucky dimes and nickles.
It all adds up . . . did you ever figure out how much you could actually collect in a year? It's amazing to me how so many young folks just drop their coins and not pick them up . . . well heck, I'll be happy to pick 'em up if they're not going to bother!
That's why I see some of the homeless hanging around the parking lots @much2say
@rebelann Oh gosh - there are so many homeless folks around here .
@jeiay41 (675)
I never past a penny on the ground. I always pick up pennies even it don't have a face. Some people don't see the value of a penny cause in reality it don't have a value now a days but for others they use it as it worth a dollar. Money is penny and without penny you won't make a dollar.
That is true - penny is money regardless how it doesn't have much value on its own. And to collect a bunch of pennies can surely add up - although it would take awhile. Money is money no matter how pidley the amount, eh?
I also picked every penny on the ground.I never think about it.Money is money,even it is only penny.I just picked them up naturally.
52onepiece - yes, I normally would pick pennies up too without a thought. But now I will think more about it since I started this discussion. You're right - money is money - even if it is just a penny!!
@cerebellum (3869)
Yes every penny counts, especially in this economic crisis. I had a friend that would pick up any money that was on the ground( sometimes you get lucky and it's a nickel, dime, or quarter. I have difficulty walking, so I am always looking at the ground and I see money if it's on the ground. If I'm by myself, I don't pick it up, as I would probably be on the ground with it. I am not really concerned about it being dirty, the money you get back in change or anywhere is dirty also.
Oh yes, money is money (particularly these days), so whatever we find can make a difference!! If we can be one penny richer a day, why not? Or a nickel, dime, or quarter for that matter. I can understand having concerns about not being able to get up if you were to pick up a little coin on the ground. Yes, I too think it's no big deal to pick up a dirty coin when it's probably dirty to begin with anyway!
Pennies surely do add up but also it is considered good luck to find a penny on the ground if it's heads up I think. Although I would pick it up anyway even if it was tails. I don't worry about it being dirty either since all money is very dirty after all the hands that it passes through in a day whether it was on the ground or not. Most of the small change that is in the bottom of my purse is from finding pennies, nickels and dimes on the ground. One time I found a dollar on the floor at the mall. Since I didn't see anyone drop it, I had no way of knowing who it belonged to to give it back so I kept it.
sderringer - I think the same way. I know the old saying, but still I pick up pennies, heads or tails - it's all good. And I haven't taught my little one that rhyme (I'm teaching her not to discriminate - ha ha). I realize those little coins could have germs, but that can be said about any money we exchange everyday. It's always nice to add that little bit of change to add to the ones at the bottom of our purses!!
@Loverbear (4928)
It seems like everyone thinks a penny isn't worth much...stop and think about it. With 18 bends and pick ups you have just bought yourself a package of raman noodles. Twenty five could get you a piece of fruit. For a hungry person a penny could mean the difference between eating that night or going hungry. I always pick up any money I find on the ground. My BF and I were really lucky to find a $20 bill on the ground. Unfortunately I haven't had the use of my change that I have found. I have ended up the past couple years giving it to my friend who can't budget worth crap! I had $30 in penny's the time before last...it was towards my trip to Las Vegas and getting to play the slots...the friend came up short that month and away the change went. This time it was only $3, but she got that too. I will always pick up money...no matter how dirty I think it might be. I do draw the line at getting it out of dog poop.., but the change goes into my antique bottle and collects there until...
That's a great way of looking at it. A penny may not be much, but even a few put together is "something". There still are some things in life that doesn't require a whole lot of money to by. You sound like a generous person to help out friends like that!! And it's cool that you save enough pennies towards a trip! Yah, I don't think I'd pick up any pennies from animal poop either . . . but usually the coins are found on the sidewalk or in the middle of a parking lot anyway!
@Loverbear (4928)
I find a LOT of change at the check out stands, in the chairs at doctor's offices and libraries, and even in the change return on xerox machines. My BF teases me that I would drop him like a hot rock if there was money on the ground , but it was that money that I saved up several years ago that bought me a wonderful silver and turquoise cuff bracelet with bear heads in between the turquoise. It was $300 and I managed to save the found money for two years to get that bracelet. Even if you don't want the pennies for yourself, there are always containers out for people to donate their unwanted change to a good cause.
That's amazing you found all that money to get a 300 dollar bracelet - now that's really cool and well worth the effort! My friend and I used to find a lot of coins in college near the vending machines. It was surprising to see how many quarters were hidden in back of the machines. My friend and I were able to split stuff from those vending machines with that money - what a hobby - hee hee! Sounds like you're a pro at finding these treasures!
no,i leave it for the kids to find.the stores and banks in my area gripe about pennies even if you roll them.basically if it's not silver,i leave it.
Really? The stores and banks gripe about rolled pennies? That's nice of you to leave the pennies for the kids (although the finders may not all be kids!).
@my125125 (821)
Hello friend, I would pick it up, when I see a penny on the ground, I wouldn't miss it for every penny I found, that's money friend, and it should be in my pocket. But if I see a lot of money not on the ground, may be is in the toilet or on the table or any other places, then I would not take it, as may be it would someone's money and I shouldn't take it.
I agree. If it's a little coin on the ground, I wouldn't take it. But if it's money found in a place where it's quite obvious someone left it, I wouldn't touch it either (however, it's likely that someone else will take it). Certainly if I found money in someone's house, I wouldn't take it.
Yes to be honest. I need a penny to accumulate a dollar or peso as a whole. And i am using it on my transportation, we need coin so that we will not wait for our change on our paper money. Penny or coin is still a money, I don't care if people will look at me as I am hunger for money as long as it is a legal money I will pick it. LOL
That's right!! Money is money . . . all of it can be used no matter how little the value is. It sure helps to have such coins, that way if you're paying for something like transportation, you're not burdened to carry more change after getting change! I don't care if people look at me either - honestly, I'm not even watching to see if anyone is watching me!
if the penny on the floor is mine, or i drop it, i think i'll pick it up. but if i saw a penny on the floor, and dont know who lost it, i wont pick it up. just will go ahead by the side. maybe someone others will pick it up, i believe.
That is very nice of you. I'm pretty sure that the coins we find are not any that I have dropped (unless I know I dropped them of course). For sure, if I don't pick it up, someone else will!
@Thoroughrob (11747)
I do pick them up and take them home and put them in my change jar. It does all add up.
It's always fun to watch change in a change jar get higher and higher (which means the value is going up too!). It does add up - all that saving is worth it!
I pick up pennies sometimes when I really need money and I see them every where. Nowadays I don't mind picking a penny up because it can turn into two pennies, when I find more, then it can turn into twenty and if I can save them, I can have hundreds, so when I go exchange them I can have a couple of dollars in my pocket.
That's the way I see it too! If you really look, money can be found - particularly the uncared for pennies. Keeping them in jar, you can really see how much can accumulate over time. A penny more is a penny more . . . and every little bit helps these days!
@bellis716 (4804)
I always pick up coins. I, also, do a lot of walking but have not come anyways near the amount your friend's mother said she picked up in a year. She must live in a very affluent neighborhood. Now, I wonder if my first thought was correct. Which person would be more apt to pick up dropped change, the wealthy or the poor? I live in what might be called a lower middle class neighborhood. We have sufficient to meet our needs, but have to watch our pennies to do that. I believe that the only coins I find are those that slipped out of someone's pocket, and they didn't know that they lost it.
It was hard to believe that my friend's mother found all that change, but she claims she most certainly did! The neighborhood she walks through is my old neighborhood - I'd say middle class, but not particularly upscale. There are a lot of people who walk and jog through there, so it's possible that people are losing things from their pockets without realizing it. I have to wonder if the wealthy became wealthy because they practiced saving all that money - starting from gathering coins off the ground - hee hee!
@redphile (2265)
yes i will and will try to give it back to the owner.. =) if i cant, i will definitely give it to someone who needs it. even if its just a penny, its still worthy for those who can only collect or pick up pennies, like beggars in the street.
In most cases, it's hard to find the owner of a penny (unless you just saw them drop it!). But if you happen to find one, it's good that you do give it to a beggar, if you can. Pennies are always worth something!
@mariposaman (2967)
of course I pick up pennies when I see them on the ground. Anything that adds to my net worth in my opinion is a good thing. 100 pennies make a dollar and if someone saw a dollar laying on the ground they would pick it up, it just means when you pick up pennies you have to do it 100 times instead of once.
That's a good way of looking at it . . . finding a dollar bill is the same thing as finding pennies - just more value at a faster rate! I agree - why not add to your net worth - every little bit helps - that's for sure!
Yes I most definitely do. And why not, as you are mentioning, they can be washed or your hands can be washed -no big deal. I know some people wont do it. Just a thought for those who would choose not to pick them up..I am wondering if you have thought about how dirty the coins and bills handed over by cashiers at the retail stores can be ?! Have anybody thought about where the cash came from, not to mention the hands that handed them over?! Just a thought. My point is simple: the cash found on the ground can be as dirty as the cash handed over to you in the retail store. Just my 2 cents.
I agree, the money on the ground can be just as filthy as the money we exchange at the store or bank every day! There are literally germs everywhere . . . can you imagine how germy the insides of our wallets must be from carrying all that money? Some of the coins that we have right now could have been found on the ground and we wouldn't even know it. Well, for whatever reason a person doesn't want to pick up coins off the ground, there's more for people like us - hee hee.
@taraelocin (1139)
There is a saying in my mother tongue: "Who doesn't value the penny, isn't worth the pound". A penny might not be a lot, but as you say, it can sum up - a hundred pennys make a pound... And if you want to buy lunch for 1.99 and only have 1.98 on you, you'd wish you would have picked up that penny on the ground!
Yes, that one penny could make all the difference in the world! A penny short, is a penny short when you really need it! Those little pennies on the ground may not seem like much, but it sure can add up!
@edxcast (1169)
• Ecuador
No, i usually dont pick pennies off the ground. I just dont think its really worthy. Wow, more than a 100 dollar, just by picking pennies? Just of one cent? or also 10,25,50 coins? Now that can make us think how much money is wasted by accident.
Oh yes, well if you think how many people actually drop their coins and don't bother to pick them up, that's a lot of coins on the ground. And there will be people like us who will gladly pick them up and save them up to make it quite worthy! I'm sure my friend's mom didn't find just pennies . . . I'm sure she found other larger coins that sped up the process! Yep, another person's loss is another person's gain!
@owlwings (43487)
• Cambridge, England
Yes, I do pick up dropped coins. My eyes seem to be particularly trained to spot them, for some reason. They are usually coppers or small silver. Very occasionally I have found a pound coin! My grand daughter taught me a new rhyme (a variant of 'See a pin and pick it up'): [i]See a penny, pick it up, All the day you'll have good luck; Give that penny to a friend, Your good luck will never end![/i] I usually put the small change I find into the nearest charity box.
Ha ha - I think my daughter has trained eyes like yours too! When you're searching for coins, you can find them . . . and sometimes you can find the coins that are truly worth a lot. It's generous of you to deposit what you find in those charity boxes.
I will pick up money if I see one. I do not care whether it is a penny's worth and more than that. Money is money. After accumulating, you can do something with it.
Yes, money is money . . . and it can add up eventually. Many pennies can add up to something substantial - so why not pick them up, right? One person's loss is another's gain.
@zed_k4 (17619)
Yup, I do. Frankly speaking, I can't see money lying on the ground; I feel like it's an insult to the value of it. Normally, I see a penny, I pick it up, and put it on a surface like a table or a panel where it's not lying on the ground. Anywhere at all; it might be dirty, or clean, or I could just see a donation box and slot it through. A little penny goes a long way, and I would surely come pick it up.
That is an interesting point of view! Perhaps there are coins on the ground because no one is aware that it's there! Good idea to place it on higher ground so someone in need could pick it up! A little penny can go a long way, if allowed . . . I would continue to pick them up too!
@zed_k4 (17619)
That's right; I feel like that exactly. Hopefully the pennies will be seen, LOL.. Have a great day.
Hi zed_k4 Sure you are a unique person.. This is the first time I know people not pick a penny to be put into their pocket, but to be put on a surface But that's cool, donate it to others and I believe one penny can experience long travel too (I mean, who knows it will travel to other country, maybe?)