Would you steal for the sake of feeding your family?

My friend was telling me the story of how she and her family grew up (in another country). The mother raised all 7 kids on her own - with no husband in the picture - and the children having no father. I guess they were pretty poor, and the mother could barely find work. Apparently, later on they all fled to this country . . . but the mother is no longer allowed to enter the country in which they fled from because she was arrested for stealing. The mother told them there was no other choice and she had to find some way to feed her family. I could understand a mother's desparation for wanting to take care of her family - but was this the best option - considering there weren't too many options? Would you have done the same thing?
@jugsjugs (13038)
I think that if i had no choice and that is the only way to ensure the family was able to eat yes i would steal as it would be that or die of starvation and a mother always do what she can for her children.
That is true. A mother will always do what she can for her children and she would never want to see her children starve. A mother would probably give most of her portion to her children too!
@doormouse (4619)
i totally agree with your friend,i'd steal for my kids,i'd probably do a lot worse for them aswell
Wow - I wonder what exactly you mean by "a lot worse" . . . at the same time, I think I do - and I wonder if I would make that choice too if I had to. I have no idea if my friend's mother had to go through that, but I'm sure the thought crossed her mind. Eek. We would do everything we can to provide for our children!
I think so. If it were just me, then no I wouldn't steal. I would find food somewhere. But if it is a matter of feeding my children, even though I know that stealing is wrong, I would take it if I had no other option. I think that God would forgive me for not letting my children go hungry. God will provide, and sometimes the options that have been provided to us aren't the ones that we have necessarily been taught as being right.
I think if it were just me, I wouldn't do it either. But a good mom would never let her children go hungry . . . so you got to do what you got to do, even if it meant stealing. As children get hungry all the time, boy, that'd be a lot of stealing!