Can you lose yourself when you're watching a movie?

Do you get so absorbed when you're watching a movie that you literally forget about real life? I am a complex person, so my gears are moving even when I'm watching a great movie . . . but I know some people could just enter another world during those couple hours. Movies are a good distraction for them, especially during sad or hard times. How about you?
@thezone (9447)
Happens me all the time, I always get lost in a good movie. That's what movies are for right, escapism. I don't know how many times in my life that I thought I was a Jedi Anytime I am bored, or have some free time I will put on a DVD and just chill out and be in a whole new world
I guess you use the force, young Jedi - ha ha. The escapism force! If you lose yourself, you know it's a good movie - and that it did its job. It's rare that I watch a movie at home from beginning to end with no interruptions, so it's real hard for me get absorbed into any movies.
@thezone (9447)
Yes once you lose yourself in a movie you know it has done its job and you know the force was strong in such a movie. Nothing worse when you get into a movie and then be interrupted, ever been to a movie that someone has seen and they give you a running commentary ?
Oh yah! Not so much at the theater, but definitely when I see videos with friends at home. They think because it's a home setting that they can just run their mouths even when we're watching a movie. Shut up!!!!! Times like that I'd like to use the force on them - ha ha!!
@ElsaElsa (327)
I tend to get absorbed into Indian movies as though I was the character living and experiencing the events. So, it really depends on the genre and most Indian movies are romantic dramas. With Hollywood movies, it has to be a drama or a horror flick that may get me so absorbed that I can't tell what's going on in real life. I think its the emotional appeal these movies have that cause me to tune it completely and thoroughly.
It's great you can get so absorbed in movies! I have a difficult time with it unless the movie really, really hits me. I guess the emotional apppeal sometimes reminds of me real life, so it's hard to get real life out of my mind while watching movies - hee hee. A good horror movie, which is rare, can keep me enthralled . . . certainly that doesn't happen in real life!
@ElsaElsa (327)
Don't you think that when a movie appeals to your life you tend to gain benefits out of it by seeing how the characters dealt with the situation and what their outcomes where and how you can incorporate similar approaches to your own life? That happens with me. There are so many drama type movies that could happen to just about anyone and seeing the portrayl from a different angle helps in fixing or changing your own life.
@GaryJoule (216)
I always lose myself when watching a movie. That's why I go to movie, enter another world to experience another exciting life. Movies are a good distraction for me, that's just what I expect, it's really a good way to get away from sad or hard times. The most ones I like are comic films, suspense films,action films.
That's great you can get away from real life when you are watching a movie! I guess it's hard for me because I don't have the time to really sit there to watch a flick . . . so I just think of the things I could be doing (that's the parent in me I guess). Maybe I just need to relax - hee hee. Good suspense and action films are great . . . it's usually packed with stuff we would never go through in our own lives - and we can fantasize about it!
@ElsaElsa (327)
I think the secret to getting absorbed into a movie is to put real life aside for those few hours. Its hard not to think about other things during a movie but if you sit down with the intention of just watching the movie and do just that, you'll find yourself crying, laughing, and being scared during those scenes.
@JohnJeff (722)
Its depends on what movie you have been watched.If you watch sci-fi movie like transformers,terminator maybe its just for entertainment.Movie like history bases such appollo 13,saving private ryan,ghandi and many more maybe give you certain emotions and feelings.
Definitely it all depends on the movie. In the past, I've gotten into sci-fi's if they were made well. I somehow got absorbed with Terminator II, although parts of it were filmed near us, so it blew it a bit for me. Those historic type ones - especially the one you named, can really bring you in emotionally . . . how about Schindler's List too?
@ElsaElsa (327)
That's a great point JohnJeff. Even I relate more to movies that are based on true stories and get involved in them emotionally merely because they were events that occurred in real life to real people and the outcome of their experiences tend to involve you in a way different than fiction.
@icecubic (1850)
I'm always enjoy my favourite films. Before i watchs it at home, i was turn off a light, make the sound loudly so i can get actor's feel on the movies. Especially horror, i can feel what the actor's crying
Ah, you like the full experience of a movie - complete with dynamic sound . . . did you have surround sound at home (that's the best!)? It was probably like a theater at home for you - how fun! I'd have to say there are a couple horror movies I saw, even as a teen, that was scary enough to make me become immobile. That was getting pretty absorbed, eh?
Yeah I know what you mean. You just get so caught up in the movie and how it would be like to be in it that you completely forget about the real world. It usually happens only when I'm watching a good movie.
It's nice to get caught up in a movie - if only for a little while. It's as if you are part of the movie, sort of. I know that if I can make my thoughts disappear during a movie, then I must think it's a real good movie!
@jugsjugs (13038)
Oh yes i think that when you are watching a movie on the television it seems that you tend to lose all the other problems that you have in your life as this is more of a distraction more than anything else.
I wish I could watch more full programs on television . . . it's hard for me to get absorbed with any tv programs at home with a child running about. And at night when she goes to sleep, I'm too pooped to watch . . . I'll either not watch it or fall asleep during a movie - ha ha! So much for that distraction!
@Zenstrive (239)
Sometimes. But I have tried to control myself to stop crying when absorbed in a movie.
Oh gosh, I can be a cryer too! I guess those are the times I do relate it to real life, so then I can't stop crying during a movie! It's if I DON'T cry that I am more absorbed!