Offense is a choice, defensiveness is a symptom...

@ParaTed2k (22574)
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Why is it that it's ok to be as offensive as you want to be, but some is "hate speech" while others aren't? I can be as mean spirited and hateful towards certain groups and not offend or even get all sorts of support. Jokes about hanging rich people from trees, derogatory remarks about religious people, stereotyping "rednecks", conservatives or liberals (for example), get far more positive reactions than the same about "protected" groups. We're so readily offended we are easily manipulated. The GENA 6 fiasco was mostly lies, but even when the truth came out, the lies were what people remembered. Instead of being outraged by the lies, people defended the lies as well as the liars... and continued the outrage based on the lies. It is a weapon used against us... but it is us who holds the gun to our own heads. We say we are against censorship, but we censor ourselves far more often, and more harshly than any government policy, law or bureaucracy. Who has the "right" to be offensive (or be offended)? Why is it ok to offend some people, but not ok to offend others? If a Black person responded to an "offensive" statement with outrage, their race would somehow lend credence to their feelings. On the other hand, if the same person defended the statement, it would somehow vindicate the statement as well as the speaker. Offense is a choice, defensiveness is a symptom and both say more about ourselves than they do about the speaker.
hi parated2k the whole reason I do not even bother to answer or respond to political discussions here is because you are all so one sided, it seems okay to flame and insult people in the democratic party but if anyone says one little word about the mostly republican mylotters here all hell breaks loose. I dislike the insulting and offensive garbage thrown at me when I merely say I am a democrat, I do not do this to the holier than thou Republicans. if we cannot keep civil tongues in our mouths no matter what party we are in, how can we keep from breaking mylots rules against flaming and insults? Why is it okay to offend when mylot admins says we should not?
@ParaTed2k (22574)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
But apparently you don't have a problem throwing insults at Republicans yourself... or is "holier than thou" a term of endearment? :~D But thanks for helping to reinforce my point.
not any more insulting than what you yourself throw at me. this just reinforces why I am a fool for ever answering a political discussion, in this arena evidently anything goes' and nobody cares how much they hurt the other person. I did not hate the republican party when I came here to mylot' but after all the mean insulting slams against me just because] I am not a republican I have come to not feel very happy towards republicans at all. I still think mylot admins are right,we should respect each others viewpoints, and I do respect others viewpoints as long as they do respect mine. but I do not like being insulted by anyone, no matter what party they come from.
@ParaTed2k (22574)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Actually, this discussion is under the category of "life", not politics. I wasn't insulting you, I was thanking you for backing me on my point. Btw, I can't stand the Republican Party either. In fact, I've written that both major parties need to be investigated under the RICO act. But politics aside, feel free to add any comments you'd like on the OP.
@wlee9696 (595)
We have become the United States of the Offended. Everything you say and/or do (even in jest) offends someone. I do think that it strange and double standard that rednecks, southerners, white men and Christians can all be made fun of, joked about, etc..... and it doesn't offend anyone. So why are these groups of people not provided the same "protection" as gays, blacks, Muslims, etc..... I don't support laws that single out special groups of people - all laws should be for all people regardless anything.