Commercials REALLY are Louder!!

@erikmama (12929)
Even been quietly sitting, watching a movie on the television, then suddenly,a commercial comes on the tv,almost scaring you to death!! Well, thats how the commercials are made-louder than regular programming to grab your attention. They are tryong to pass a law requiring these commercial makers to use the normal tones. What do you think??
I wish they would pass a law that makes them the same volume as the shows. It drives me crazy. BUT, I just got a PVR, so now I can skim through them all in seconds. HA! Fixed them, huh?
@erikmama (12929)
What is a PVR? Forgive my ignorance. I have not heard any more aout the law since stating this discussion.Maybe I should go check it out again!
Personal Video Recorder. It has replaced the VCR for the most part. It has a digiatal memory instead of a tape. So, you watch it like a DVD. The touch of a button instantly fast forwards it 30 seconds in time (the length of a commercial). I realized that there are now 6 - 8 commercials per break in the shows. UNREAL!
@lelin1123 (15636)
• Puerto Rico
I know exactly what you are talking about that is why now I just mute the TV when the show goes to commercial or I start to surf till I think the commercials are over. The worse commercials are the ones with Billy Mays (I know he has passed away) but his voice is just to loud to listen to. That would be great if they put the commercial to a normal tone, however I will still mute or surf because I really can't stand commercials. That is why I love watching movies without commericals on TCM.
@erikmama (12929)
Ive noticed the tv getting louder then low then loud again,and I thought it was jsust me tim I read this!! I think it is a really annoying tatic these commercial makers have. Commercials are a great time for bathroom breaks and snack runs!!
@lelin1123 (15636)
• Puerto Rico
You are so right that is all they are good for getting snacks and going to the bathroom.
@HADDOWZ (1481)
Sadly for some strange reason tv commercials ARE aloud to be louder than the programmes that they innterupt. But they must stay within government guidelines, I still think this is unbelievably annoying. It can put you off watching some programmes or films on some channels.
@erikmama (12929)
I really hate it! It is just scertain stations that I really nortice it on. I am not sure what is going on with the law,but will find out.I turn the channel,there idea to attract people has quiet the opposite effect!
I know what you mean! I live with parents, so I'd be sitting there watching a show, and then out of nowhere a really loud HBO or DIRECTV commercial comes on at a very high volume, and then my mom will shout "T, turn that down!" And I'm like "But it's just the commercial that's loud...lol." Those OXYCLEAN commercials are like that too.
@erikmama (12929)
LOL!! Thats funny!! it is really frustrating when others are there asleep or something. I am glad I dont have parents to worry about though!! Maybe we wont have to deal with these scare you commercials anymore!!Happy New Year!~
i totally wish they'd pass that-some are outright obnoxious. some shows like bones you have to turn up in general in parts,and then the commercial comes on and blasts you because you had it up. it can't be that hard to regulate the volume through the direct signal.
@erikmama (12929)
I use to watch a talk show that I could barlet here unless I turned it up siper loud.Then the commercials would run me out of the room!! I guess they are grabbing our attention but not in a good way!LOL!
Happy New Year to you! Yes, commercials can be really loud and it's going to be louder in the coming few years. This people make all the money while we just sit and watch. I think the law should be more stringent and there should be a time limit for commercials. Do you agree?
@erikmama (12929)
Of course I agree!! Thats why I am hioping they do pass this!! I know they pay for the shows we watch but it is annoying!!
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
We always sit and watch with the remote control at hand, so we can turn down the sound when the adverts come on. If they made them at normal sound, we wouldn't bother, so they're shooting themselves in the foot really.
@erikmama (12929)
Yes,because the sirst thing wr fo id grab the remote to turn it down. But I guess they gigure theyve gotour attention somehow, and maybe that loud commercial wil stand out in our minds!! It just annoys me!!
@jdyrj777 (6547)
Yes, maybe they do that to wake us up or maybe thats why they invented the remote.
@erikmama (12929)
Thats why I have an alarm an kids...and it is still annoying to have to adjust the volume,even with a remote, every couple of minutes.
@jdyrj777 (6547)
Ya i understand you completely. Maybe they want to make sure we hear the commerical. So we will want to buy it.
@sedel1027 (17851)
Yep, they are louder. I notice it all the time. A few years ago I recall TVs being made with a feature that didn't allow the volume to change. wonder if you can still get one of those?
@erikmama (12929)
I don't know. I never really heard about those televisions. I wonder if they would cost a lot more than a regular television?
@sedel1027 (17851)
I really don't know. I want to say the feature was called something like auto sound leveling or something along those lines. I vaguely remember commercials for them 5 or so years ago.
They are, and I cannot stand it. I listen to my television programs and they are so low, but when the commercials come around, I have to lower the volume. I hope that law passes soon on the commercials being louder than the television programs.
Just a few moments ago, I was watching "American Ninja Warrior" on G4 and the commercials were so loud. I had the channel on a low volume to start with, and when the commercials came on, I had to practically mute the tv. My grandmother always has this problem with her soaps. She will be watching "The Young and the Restless", then all of the sudden the commercials will come on and she is wondering what is going on and asking me if I upped the volume, and will tell her that I didn't. This is becoming a serious problem and the media and the government need to do something about this.
I have noticed that too. I have a husband who loves to channel surf so the only time I get to watch commercials is when he is not watching tv. I remember last night watching the Meow Mix commercial with the cat laying on the piano playing amd then the cat comes over to the Meow Mix bag and starts meowing. Well, last night my husband tried to change the channel and my cat Smyles growled at him as if to say how dare you change my channel. I am watching this commercial. I do not know why these stations make these commercials louder, but I am hoping that they will end this.
@erikmama (12929)
Awww.thats so sweet!! the kitty didnt want the channel changed!! I think its funny when animals see and like these commercials. They are louder to get our attemtion of ocurse. I didnt know it was something makers did I thought it was my tv till I read this piece about it.Crazy the things theyll do for our attention. Anf instead of helping them it is hurting them. Its usually late at night when everyone is in bed when I am watching television,so it is even more annoying to me!!All is wuiet then BAM Billy Mays is screaming at me.(RIP)
My cat Smyles is a character. He also loves to watch MASH, The Young and the Restless and a show called Cats 101. He gets mad when anyone attempts to change the channel. I have never seen a cat who loves to watch tv. I think Smyles is part human.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
They really are louder. You should not have to sit with a remote in your hand to turn them down. It is really kind of stupid, because it makes me pay less attention to them. I just turn them way down and wait for the show to return.
@erikmama (12929)
You said it!! Annoying, and the opposite effect on us!!
@lahari (133)
I completely agree with you on this. It bothers us a lot. At first I didn't understand it that they are intentionally made louder to catch your attention I used to think there's some problem with that particular channel but gradually I understood the trick. Now I always sit in front of the television with a remote controller in hand.
@erikmama (12929)
Me 2, thought it was the station or my televison going out. As long as the remote is in hand we are good!!
@artistry (4153)
..Hi there ericmama, Just about everytime a commercial come on, I will mute it. I think that commercials are an invasion of my time and privacy. Five minutes of commercials. For an hour show, you have to suffer with twenty minutes of commercials, disgraceful. There are only a few commercials that I find entertaining. One is that Aflac duck which is silly but funny. The other is the green grecko for Geico. You are right, the tv show is on and all of a sudden this loud sound comes on, it's the commercial blasting your ears off. I wish they would find a way to do away with them all together, not only lower their volume. Take care, have a Happy New Year.
@erikmama (12929)
I hate commercials especially when I am really trying to watch something. But you are right there are some really cute and entertaining commercials. My son likes the Geico commercials. He goes around singing Let Me Be MySelf... Its just annoying when they are LOUD and BLARING at us. They are trying to get our attention when in reality if they would come up with something cute and clever we'd pay MORE attention to it!! I dont think they should be allowed to make their commercials louder than the actual show. Happy New Years to you as well!!
@cher913 (25865)
i have a bit of trouble hearing and i find that i have to put the tv show/movie up a little louder when i am watching it and then turn the tv down when the commercial appears. more often than not i get up and leave the room when the commercial comes on.
@erikmama (12929)
Yea,you always have to play with the volume controls on the remote and it is very annoying especially late at night!! As lng as we arent giving them what they want-our attention!!
@MrNiceGuy (4147)
I had heard of that law. I think its a good idea. It gets really annoying for them to do that on purpose and it really doesn't make watching TV fun. I also notice that some shows, especially the dialogue are extremely quiet and this makes the whole volume situation all the more difficult.
@erikmama (12929)
You are right.It is no fun to have a commercials blaring out at you and scare the life outta you!!Yes,Ive noticed that too,the actual shows volume is very low.Ive never been so tired of using the volume button in the remote in my life!!LOL!! Like your Avatar!
Yup. Commercials are louder. They're trying to get your attention, naturally. And don't complain too much, it's because of commercials that you can watch your programs. If there were no commercials they would need to find some other and probably less reliable way to fund their programming. I hate commercials too, but they are a necessary evil.
@erikmama (12929)
Although I find commercials very annoying and would reather watch televivision commercial free, since I can't I understand the need for them. However they dont have to make them 50x louder than the regular program. They are actually just irritationg people, but I guess as long as they have our attention they dont care.
@nijolechu (1845)
Yes, I have noticed that with the commercials they show on T.V. now. I find it quite annoying too. I thought at first there was something wrong with my T.V. set but my friends and family say the commercials are made louder. Its good they are making rules to make the commercials less loud now.
@erikmama (12929)
LOL!!! I thought the sanme thing!! I am glad too. Those commercials can be verl oud sometimes and all of the time very annoying. Why should they make the commercials so loud to get our attention?
@cream97 (29166)
Hi, erikmama. Yes, they are louder, especially when the T.V. volume is already turned down at a normal level.. When the commercial comes on, this commercial can sound so loud and it can make one jump. I have been alarmed many times before about this. I hope that they pass a law specifying that commercial makers are required to use normal tones when making a commercial.
@rmuxagirl (7559)
I totally agree that commercials are louder than the show itself. It gets really annoying to have to turn my television up and down just because the commercials are yelling at me. I hope they do pass that law.