Is smoking trees in front of your kids abuse?

I am speaking about a friend of mine. She does this right in front of her 4 kids. The baby is about 4 months old. I find it a shame because of her behavior.. She wants to call cps on a neighbor of ours. But,I want so bad to ask her about her own habits in front of her kids. I am not one to judge others when it comes to parenting. we all have our own way of doing things. But,let me know if I am the one crazy here. I know many of mylot members get high as well. But,do you think it's abuse to do it in front of the kids. I don't even think a cigarette should be smoked in the presence of minors. It's just a nasty thing to me.. But,I could be wrong..
I would never smoke in front of my kids. It's your own choice to smoke, but it isn't their choice to have to take it into their own lungs. Second hand smoke is dangerous, especially to young children. She shouldn't smoke in front of children - I don't think anyone should. It not only makes them more likely to get damage from the smoke, but makes them more likely to try it themselves, and in some cases I've seen, and a very young age, as in seven and eight. I've seen it happen. While it's her choice to smoke, whatever she wants and whenever, she should go outside to protect her children's health. I would have a hard time keeping quiet, because that's the kind of person I am. Sometimes it's a fault, but I can't stand to see children being put in harms way. Ever. And I'm not even a mother yet! [Hopefully I will be someday!]
I hope you have kids someday too. You sound like a very good mom already. Thanks so much
@barehugs (8984)
Well, of course I never smoked, but I used to burn trees cut up for wood, to heat my house. We didn't even have a furnace when our kids were small, we heated our house with trees cut up in one foot sections and split by hand with an axe. My young boys used to help carry the wood in from the shed, and I appreciated their help. Those were the days when the kids were little!
@dawnald (84206)
• Shingle Springs, California
No it's not right to get high in front of the kids. Among other things, that's telling them that illegal behavior is OK. As for smoking, it's legal, but the second hand smoke isn't good for children, so I would only advise doing it outside where it isn't going to end up in the child's lungs.
@CRIVAS (1818)
I am the mother of two beautiful daughters and I happen to be a smoker but I have one rule: NEVER SMOKE IN THE HOUSE. I think that smoking in front of your children is abuse and I think that it also makes it more likely that your children will do the same when they get older. I can only guess that "TREES" are illegal, and I can't believe that anyone would be willing to do that in front of the children. I do know that if anyone would find out about it, this parent would most likely have their child taken away. I think it is wrong to smoke anywhere near a child and I think that these parents should be ashamed of themselves. I can't believe anyone would do that.
@StevenZhu (198)
Hi giftsandbagscom, why your friend smokes in front of kids, does he have no choice because he can't help smoking, or he want to train the kids into smokers. The harm of second hand smoking is far to see, but let kids to smoke in their young age isn't difficult to see. Therefor, I just wonder, the guy you mentioned neither care about the kids nor bring them up in guidance.
@verabear (797)
You're a very good friend to think about her kids. Take it a step further and talk to her about it. She will probably be offended, but she has to hear it from somebody. Think of a creative way to start the discussion and break it to her gently. Good luck!
IMHO (in my humble opinion) .... which can be sometimes very blunt. *disclaimer* She is so incredibly in the wrong. To be as blunt as it gets, I believe that the action of smoking 'tree' in front of her kids makes her a horrible mother. If I were you, I would call CPS anonamously and make sure they know where she's keeping her 'tree' in the house. If people want to do it on their own, I've no problem with that. I have friends that smoke and it doesn't bug me in the slightest as long as they're not doing it front of me out of respect. Smoking affects judgement, generally makes you tired or lazy, makes you slow to respond to things, etc etc etc. We all know it alters awareness. How can someone even begin to think it's okay to do that when you have responsibilities as a mother... *especially* of a 4 month old. I understand why you wouldn't report a friend as you'd not want their kids taken away... but god forbid something happen to one of those children when she's high because she was too doped up to respond correctly.