A good investment is worth a lifetime of labour.

@CJscott (4182)
My friend "Big Al" was on a cruise ship about 5 years ago. Sailing around the islands of Hawaii. He was on the top floor of the cruise ship, which just so happened to be a 24 hour a day eating trough. He saw this 90 year old guy shuffling up to the buffet and thought to him self "ooh potential customer." So, Big Al approached this gentleman and asked him. "What do you do for a living?" To which the elderly sir answered shaking his finger at Big Al "Young man I am retired. Back in 1939 I moved to California and together with a couple of friends we started a bank. And as California grew, our bank grew and soon it was the 4th largest bank in the state, so we sold it for millions of dollars and retired. Young man let me give you some financial advice!" Now my friend Big Al, was thinking well I don't have a pen maybe I can write it in my mashed potatoes. "Young man let me give you some financial advice. One good investment is worth a life time of labor." So Big Al was thinking to himself, and when he was telling me this story I was thinking to myself to. "Is that true? Is one good investment really worth a lifetime of labor? Now, how many people here are as skeptical as we are? "So we were thinking is that true is one good investment really worth a lifetime of labor?" Now, how many people here know someone who bought some real estate 20 years ago? Then sold it for more then all the wages they earned their entire life? or someone who bought some really good stocks a few years back and sold those for more then a lifetime worth of wages? Yea, we all know people that like. So one good investment is worth a lifetime of labor. Why don't most people have real estate investments? No down payment no carrying cash? Why don't most people have stocks? Because stocks go up and stocks go? you guess it down. So most people that you know go through their life without a sing good investment. And if you go through life with out a single good investment you are sentenced to a life time of labor.
I absolutely love the moral of this story. I also think that people should never be afraid to take a chance. Yes, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but if you are an optimist, it won't hurt you to take a risk. We don't have the money to invest in our own "good investment," but our house will eventually pay off for us because we bought it in a down market and at a time that the house itself needed a lot of work. We will live here for as long as it takes and do the work to it that is needed and eventually we will use our profits on this house to move up into a nicer house.
@CJscott (4182)
Yes, it will at that, good move on your part, I am in a similar position with my House. My Home Based business is the same way though, a great "investment" of my time mostly, that I can develop into a decent return. Cheers.
But as long as you are alive, you have a chance to seek out those good investments.
@CJscott (4182)
This is true. I am glad you got the point of the story so clearly. Cheers.
@zkapfo123 (320)
Hi cjscott, what you had described is true and clear. Many of us fail to see the benefits or opportunity of investing in some good real estates. As the years progresses and populations grow, so the needs of real estate grows. If one has the money and resources it is definitely worth investing in, in a long term investment. Thank you for sharing the success story of a good entrepreneur.
@CJscott (4182)
Not just real estates my friend, zkapfo, also, stocks, and ourselves. The main point behind the story is that if you don't have a good investment, you are sentenced to a life time of labor. I like the feedback I am getting here, it is helping me to understand which parts of the story pop out to which people, so that I know where to put the emphasis. Cheers.
@cyrus123 (6364)
I can't think of anybody I know who bought real estate 20 years ago and then sold it for all the wages they earned. My daddy sold real estate for a living and I don't know if he knew anybody like this or not, either. Probably not. Anyway, this is a good story. Thank you for posting it. Kathy.
@CJscott (4182)
Chances are if he was in Real Estate, he would have known someone that sold their land for more money then they have ever made with wages, even if he didn't know them when they bought the land. It is a good story, has a great moral behind it to. A good investment is worth a life time of labor, if you don't have a good investment, you are sentenced to a lifetime of labor. Cheers.
@cyrus123 (6364)
Yes, it's possible he could have known somebody like this. Kathy.
@CJscott (4182)
Your dad was somebody that understood the value of an investment ;). What is it you do professionally?