Are you a good stepparent?

I stand on the edge of marrying a great man and I wondered how to be the most effective and not hated stepmother. What works for you?
@jewels49 (1783)
I must be pretty good at mine all call me mom and their kids call me grandma and when my step-daughter couldn't step up as a mom for our oldest grandson it was me she signed him over to..Best advice I can give you, never criticize their mom, even if they do, even if she is hell on wheels,,don't try to be their parent and let them have time with their dad without you being right there. Patience is a must, I don't know how old your step-children are but the older they are the harder it can be..Try not to judge them and remember that kids of divorce for the most part always want their parents back together, it's just the way it is. Chances are no one ever asked them if they wanted to be divorced kids and more often than not, no one asked them if they want to be step-children. Good Luck and happy parenting.
Oh ho! They do like me and call me mom sometimes. I make it clear that its not required that I know they have a mom and that I'm just trying to be here to make things easier. Their mom was pretty violent so its not about them wanting her back. I know they don't. I do, however, walk a fine line sometimes. And I am for some reason a better disciplinarian than their dad. I guess its because I talk to them about why what they do is wrong rather than just yell or whatever.
@jewels49 (1783)
A crazy natural mother always makes the job so much more interesting..ours was a real look at the dark side..sounds like you got it figured out.
I really do try, but there are times that I wonder if I am doing this right. All they need is another woman to screw them up further.
@enola1692 (3325)
well along with my2 daughters i have 2 step daughters an I let them know I love them the same an I don't play the you love them more because game they are all equal in my eyes