why older people have slower metabolism?

slow meabolism to older people - older people have slower metabolism
@amyson (3509)
it says that when we grown up from 20 and above are metabolism slow down.many elderly have bowel problem my father have now always get constipated and that is make him comfortable.why do you think our metabolism slow down when we are growing old?
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey amyson! As you get older things in your body changes. I don't know the reasons, but they do! And the bowel is definitely one of the body parts that seems to suffer! There are doctors that can help with those types of problems. Sometimes it is just a change in diet or sometimes medication is needed. When you get to certain ages your metabolism slows down, your bones get brittle, your eyesight gets worse and the list goes on! Believe I know first hand and it is really awful to get older! I would give anything to be in my twenties again!
@amyson (3509)
yes i observe that its complicated to get older because of many problems involving with aging.i observe my father height shorter,he walks slowly,he cant see well without wearing his eyeglasses oftentimes he has urine incontinence always wet his pants.so i think it need to face with courage and facing the truth everyone will be older and die.
@PeacefulWmn9 (10424)
Hi Amy Part of these things are normal to the aging process, such as the slowing of the metabolism, wearing out of joints, and digestive sensitivities. We can help ourselves as we age, though, by lifestyle changes...fewer calories, more of the right kind of exercise that is easier on joints, and dietary changes, such as extra fiber and water to help avoid constipation and such, and good stress management techniques. Karen
@amyson (3509)
yes that are the things to live healthy way and although we cannot prevented growing older this things help to make our body and mind active thus loosing weight is encouraged to those are fat people to prevent deadly disease like stroke and diabetes and other diseases.
@lelin1123 (15639)
• Puerto Rico
I think its all lack of exercise as we get older. I know expecially like my Mom she has the same problems and its all due to not exercising after a certain age. Plus eating the foods that will not help in digestion. If people continued to exercise they would not slow down and their metabolism would not slow down as much as it does. Exercising and eating the right foods will spark up the metabolism.
@amyson (3509)
yes that is right it should be a balance in everything eating the right food,have enough sleep and naps.of course do exercises even by streching,walking,jogging and other exercises help to burn fats.
because they become old less work to do and when one work they become too tired and set most of the times. they get fast because of lack of exercise.
@amyson (3509)
yes mostly are fat and they easily get tired of moving even walking.
@drannhh (15240)
This seems to be true of most people, but I do not think it is necessary. The sad truth is that most elderly people drink a lot of coffee and tea and even booze, and these things dehydrate the body and diminish the capacity of the mind. If people would only eat properly and drink a lot of pure healthy water and get exercise then so many of those symptoms associated with aging could be prevented. For some however, that is too much work and they would rather deteriorate.
most older people have been lazy to move or exercise and that the result they become fat. but if they remain fit they are less likely to encounter it.
@amyson (3509)
yes because of lack exercise and living sedentary lifestyles they become fat and less exercises and easily get tired.
Because of lack of exercise and at the same time the internal clock of the body is slowing down and so the after effect the body does not have enough energy to filter those food he eat and end up accumulated as fat. When a person get old and so his flexibility slow down both mentally and physically. So if he is an athlete during his younger years through his older days have less likely to suffer from body malformation while those who is not physically fit have tendency to gain weight because of lack of exercise and proper diet.
@amyson (3509)
yes that is also the reason why many elders gain weights and thus suffer a lot of diseases because they lived sedentary lifestyles.all body organs becomes weak and cells also old thus making all system weaken.
@derek_a (10898)
As we grow older our metabolism starts to slow down. It isn't only in the elderly but as people go through their 30s and 40s they may start to put on weight easier where they didn't before, which is a sign that they body is slowing down. Some medical scientists says that it can happen even younger as more and more people are getting heart problems whilst still in the 20s. I don't think it is just the heart but all organs in the body start to age and slow down. - Derek
@amyson (3509)
thank you for the additional information..yes i think cells too will get old and thus all body parts affected too..all slows down..
@kun2349 (23473)
Reason is simple.. BEcause the older one gets, we wont be as active like before.. haha =D ANd our energy level tends to go down, due to aging.. Same like our strength and organs, all of them will start to fail along with age ^_^ UNless, one has been consistently active since young, only then their metalbolism rate will remain high.. BUt it depends on one's body too.. SOme young ple, do not have such high metalbolism rate, and thus it varies from person to person ^_^
@amyson (3509)
yes sometimes it varies if the young one living sedentary lifestyle his metabolism slow down and includes lack of exercise and wrong choice of foods.when were going older yes our metabolism slow down so we should be very watchful in our diet and exercise to maintain healthy mind and body.
@iceydon (342)
Hi! One's metabolism slows down when growing old due to many hormonal changes in the body affected by the cellular degeneration in the system. The chemicals that make the system function well have suffered imbalances that is why instead of functioning normally it may decrease or increase its work resulting to signs and symptoms such as diarrhea and constipation. Growing old makes our cells worn out or not having the capacity to replenish old cells with good functioning ones.
@amyson (3509)
wow,that explain a lot thank you for sharing.yes cell degenerate as we grow older and that cannot be changed but all we need to do is to lived healthy avoid living sedentary lifestyles.because we cannot go back to were we are young before.eat right food and exercises that is the secret of living young and active even we grows old.
@cyrus123 (6364)
I don't know, myself. I know so many older people tend to slow down the older they get and they don't get very much exercise. I don't mean this to be critical in any way because some older people can't exercise because they have so many physical limitations, etc. Exercise is good for constipation and I hope your daddy does this. I'm going to be 58 years old next month and I still exercise as much as I did when I was younger. However, I know my metabolism has slowed down because I've gained weight and I still try to watch my diet as much as I always did, too. Kathy.
@amyson (3509)
good for you..keep exercising and watch your diet.most elders are weak and they cannot do anymore to make them stronger i think all system weaken when we getting older.most people afraid to get old.
I think it depends on the body's health status, you see when we grow old most of us has minor ailments brought about by old age and that would contribute to a slower metabolism. It also depends on our daily activities. People with light activities has slower digestive functions that's why more people at the late middle age suffers constipation and other digestive problems. So exercise and proper diet is really a must for them.
Because we move less when we get old. Like some employees on the office, some of them already don't have exercise. When they got in the office they just sit down and in front of computer. When they eat, there is no activity that will burn the calorie intake. When they got home, they eat again and they sleep or rest. There is no additional activity, it causes the slow of metabolism. When we are growing old, we seldom be active because we are always busy. We do not think of our body anymore unless we feel something different .
Our metabolism slows down as we get older due to the decline of several hormones in our body like growth hormone-the master control, melatonin, thyroid hormone which affects all our metabolism processes, insulin , DHEA, estrogen -the female hormone progesterone - the male hormone, testosterone and many others. Production of growth hormone is at its peak from age 15-20 and starts to fall from age 21 onwards. That's why, you already start to notice the signs of aging in your body especially the skin at age 25. This hormone declines due to the absence of amino acids,the building blocks of proteins. Recent studies by scientists and doctors of the anti-aging medicines, showed that aging can be slowed down by taking the correct combination of amino acids like arginine, ornithine, lysine and glutamine to keep your metabolism including the digestive metabolism to function perfectly well.