MMA here We Come-Now I'll Kick Your Butt!! LOL!!

@erikmama (12929)
Do you take karate or some other form of mma? I just signed my 4 year old up for MMA classes, tught by an instructor who has trainded some professional fighters. He LOVES UFC, MMA, and is always wanting to learn how to do it.We will start with Brazillian Jui Jitsu,the art of submissions! I decided I want to do it with him,though Im not sure I have the heart or discipline to do it. My son will love it.And for the price-he better!! Whst do you think about these classes for young kids?
@bounce58 (17451)
My 9-year old is taking Tae Kwon Do classes. He's already a blue belter. I don't know about MMA, but if he wants to pursue it, then he'd already have the tae kwon do as his foundation. As soon as my youngest is old enough(maybe next year), I would also enroll him in Tae Kwon Do. I might even take in a class myself.
@erikmama (12929)
When peoiple think of MMA they automatically thin fighting anf UFC but it is the same as any other karate class, only they offer a variety of martial artrs,and yes,for those seeking to be a pro fighter they can assist with that. I love it myself and wan to do it.I know hell have lots of fun. My 10 year old took karate but didnt like it,but I think he will love it. You should consider it too! I dont think I am active enough for anything like that.
Dear Erikmama, It is you who has to think about it, In my personnel opinion I suggest you to send ur son to yoga classes bcoz by joining yoga he not only develop physical and mental ability but also spiritual ability........ you are sending him to MMA classes with good thought but if he think in different way he will be in wrong route, am I right? I am not asking you not send ur kid to MMA Classes... send him but at the same time observe the way which he is into....
@erikmama (12929)
I can buy a yoga tape and do that at ho,me. I think this class will teach him many things aside from fighting. At his age they are not teaching him to go out and kick someones butt. These classes will teach him discipline, self control, and more. When people think MMA they think UFC, which I meant as a joke when I put the title to this discussion.But it is not about growing up to become the next Chuck Lidell. It is the same as a karate class with more choices offered. I know he will love doing it as he will sit and watch UFC with me all the time!!
@RULizzie (101)
I think that martial arts have gotten way from the original mental strength and self-control. In the US I think that it has become another way to create more violence that attend growth. The kids that I have seen that take MMA tend to become more interested in fighting than thinking about what they are learning. it also tends to create a sense of just following orders rather than thinking.I think that more traditional instruction in the art of MMA is better, perhaps more like tai chi where mind and body control is carefully coordinated.
@erikmama (12929)
It is something for him to do that he will take a great interest in. I spoke to the instrucotr, and discipline is the first thing they are taught.My son knows it is not about fighting,but being able to protect yourself. Once he attends the first class i will have a better feel for them,but from talking to them so far, I dont think it is the way you are describing it. He will have the chance to learn many different arts of the sport.
I think that these classes are a great idea for small children. In fact, I think that any kind of class for a small child that requires some degree of discipline is a wonderful idea. I've never had either of my children is martial arts, but they are both in gymnastics. I enrolled my now seven year old daughter when she was three years old and now that she is in school, her teachers tell me that she is one of the most well behaved children in her grade level. I attribute a lot of this to the discipline that she has been taught in her classes.