Is there a less invasive way for a pelvic exam?

Is there a less invasive way for a pelvic exam? I went yesterday, and it was uncomfortable to say the least. It's just that the speculum is so invasive and uncomfortable, and I am wondering if there is a less painful and less invasive way of performing a pelvic exam. Perhaps one day doctors could use imaging instead? I know I am not the only woman who has experienced an invasive and uncomfortable pelvic exam!
@cream97 (29164)
Hi, towongfoo27. I know how you feel girl! I can't stand these exams. I have noticed that being that I had three kids, it makes it less uncomfortable. I have noticed this. I wished that they could come up with an imaging device that could just test us via our private area. I have complained many of times about this to the nurse that would do this procedure. It is very uncomfortable. I am usually relieved that it is over with when they are done.
Nope! Not to my knowledge... it is intrusive and often embarassing but never the less absolutely necessary. the break throughs they have made in medicine make it possible to detect all kinds of illnesses early treatment is often the safest cure. Sorry ladies but on the table!