Our constant Chatter

@Pose123 (21662)
How many of you have noticed that we carry on a contant chatter with ourselves? It appears that few realize this or if they do, don't take it seriously. It can however cause problems if that chatter in negative. If we are constantly saying things like, I can't do this or that, I was born unlucky, things never work out for me - than we are killing our self esteem and headed for depression. We can however, turn this around by changing our chatter from negative to positive. Sometimes it may be necessary to make a list of all our good points or the times that we made a difference in someone else's life or one of a hundred and one other things that's great about ourselves. I know we don't all need this but there are those who do. Think about it.
Not only am I aware of my inner chatter, I actually started a discussion on it here in mylot called ‘I have a diseased mind’ simply coz I was unaware, till then, that this is fairly common with most people. This constant chatter was getting on my nerves so much that I was sure that I was getting mad. However, friends here assured me that its nothing uncommon, that I’m perfectly sane at least in this respect and its really very very difficult to keep the mind completely blank. One good thing is that I don’t ponder on negatives, my inner chatter is mostly to do with snatches of songs (which keep on repeating like some broken record), imaginary conversations sometimes and at times with effort, chanting the name of God.
@Pose123 (21662)
Hi sudiptacallingu, Thank you for sharing, sorry I can't remember seeing your post.It is however, quite true that we all have this constant chatter. Some don't realize it until they try to meditate for the first time. Blessings.
@flowerchilde (12535)
This is all very true! And if one can spot the warning signs/thoughts, maybe one can avoid a depresssion. I think we can try to spot the negative thoughts, and consciously replace them with a positive one, til it's more of a habit to think positively..
@Pose123 (21662)
Hi flowerchilde, Thank you for commenting and we agree. Blessings.
@zed_k4 (17624)
Pose, an excellent topic from you, I couldn't agree more. This is so true. There are sometimes negative setbacks in life, and sometimes I can transform them into positive ones because I say that to myself and try to make it happen. Normally it works and that's why I've decided that I'm a pretty happy and jovial person. But not with skeletons in the closet though. I think that maturity comes with it. It's so important to be wise even when we think about something and that may be reflected in how we approach towards things. To summarize, negativity doesn't have to breed contempt. It can be changed towards a better direction.
@Pose123 (21662)
Hi zed, Thank you for responding and your remarks have certainly added to this discussion. Blessings.
@zed_k4 (17624)
Much welcome, Pose..
@gabs8513 (48710)
I have to admit that I have done this and sometimes still do When it was really hard I used to say I just can't do this any more, but then it would turn into, yes I can I will survive this like I have everything else I am a very stubborn Person, when I decide to do something I will do it no matter how long it takes or how hard the Task
@Pose123 (21662)
Hi gabs, Thanks for your response. Self talk can get you into depression but if one is determined, it can also bring him out of it. Blessings.
@savypat (20245)
This is one of the things we can control and it can change our lives for better or worse depending on how we feed out minds.
@Pose123 (21662)
Hi savypat, Thanks for responding and I agree. It's too bad that more people don't realize it. Blessings.
It is extremely important to monitor our self talk if you want to accomplish anything in life. You may think that saying that you are stupid when you leave something necessary at home is benign, but the subconscious doesn't take jokes or understand sarcasm. The subconscious mind taps in to everything you say about yourself, and brings it to reality. So it is very important to watch what you say to yourself about yourself.
@Pose123 (21662)
Hi drknlvly, You have said it perfectly! Thank you. Blessings.
This is something I could use right now. I'm down on myself for some things but its mostly because I'm in limbo about some decisions I need to make. I'll make a list of people or things I've made in, thanks.
@Pose123 (21662)
Hi gitfiddleplayer, Thanks for your comment and I hope this helps. Blessings.