To make my daughter stay put in bed was just too easy . . .

My daughter is now 5. She was always a great sleeper - but the older she got, the more she let her imagination get away with her. We always told her that if she needed more water or got too scared that she could come to us. Well, for a while lately, she'd go to her dad just way too often and she wouldn't let him out of her room - so they both wouldn't get good sleep. (She knows I have to take care of her baby brother, so she knew to go to dad - ha ha). Anyhow, it was getting to be a bit of a problem. We tried everything, but nothing had been working. So we finally did the sticker and prize system. It didn't dawn on me to do this earlier because it didn't work for her in potty training. We went to Toys R Us, she picked out an elephant stuffed animal with a pink elephant baby at the trunk (that's the animal she's obsessed with) and some baby bottles for them. We created a chart with baby and mom elephants on it - with 10 spaces - she'd get a star for each night she stayed in her bed by herself. 10 nights straight she earned her stars . . . and on this 11th night she has no problem sleeping on her own. I can't believe this worked so well - and so quickly! Did you ever have any solution to a certain issue with your child that was just so simple you could kick yourself for not doing it earlier?
@dawnald (84075)
• Shingle Springs, California
Like just asking the child what they want to do? Somewhere along the way I discovered that they have brains, and mouths and opinions!
Ha - isn't that something? These wee people have a mind of their own - how and when did THAT happen?
@dawnald (84075)
• Shingle Springs, California
I don't know, but it forever changed the vision I had in my head of motherhood...
Well, I've learned that it is much more difficult to potty train a little boy than it is to potty train a girl. So, I've been working with my son on potty training. He typically does a good job of peeing in the potty, but he seems to have a harder time of pooping in the potty. Thus, we decided to tell him if he could go an entire week without pooping in his underwear that he could get a Hot Wheel car. This has been working beautifully for us and I too wish I would have done it sooner.
Ohhh - then I hope this means your son will get that Hot Wheels soon . . . bye bye potty training for good!! I will keep that in mind when it's time for our son to start potty training. I've heard that it does take longer for boys to potty train . . . so we'll see how it goes!!
@milkfish (375)
I employed the same strategy with my 4 year old daughter. I have been training her not to wet her bed but to no avail. Sometimes she will wake up and go to the bathroom to pee but most of the time she sleeps so deep that she did not even notice that she is already wet. What I did is to make a calendar/chart and every morning she is to put a sticker into it, a smiley or a sad face. I still have to see if we have progressed because we have just begun it this week.
Oh gosh, I remember those potty training days! For some reason, it was a bear during the day time . . . but at night time we had no problems as she was asleep too but could hold it all in - thus far she has never had an accident "in" bed. I have heard of not giving your child a drink before bedtime and making sure your child goes to the potty before sleeping . . . and then waking up your child in the middle of the night "to go". I hope the calendar/chart works out for you/her!!