Brushing Teeth and Tongue?

Like many of you, I take good care of my teeth. I brush every morning, and use Listerine for the mouthwash. I am curious if brushing the tongue with toothpaste while you brush your teeth is also good for oral hygiene. I know that flossing is, but I don't so it regulary like I should. I have heard that brushing the tongue also can help rid the mouth of more germs and bacteria. Is that true? The last thing I want to do is see the dentist because I wasn't taking care of my mouth, gums, or teeth!
@MrKennedy (1993)
As a matter of fact, I DO make sure to give my tongue a good brushing in addition to my teeth A dentist once told me that bad breath is actually caused by the build-up of germs on our tongues and not our teeth, so I always make sure not to forget my tongue and keep my breath minty fresh
@Hubfee (665)
• Thailand
What brand of the toothpaste you're using Mrkennedy? Do you also use the liquid gargle like listerline?
I don't know that it is truly good for oral hygiene, but this is something that I do because there is no other way that you can wash your tongue. I find that if I go for a period of time without brushing my tongue, then I will feel like there are bits of food and such that are stuck under it and I really don't like that feeling at all. Like you, I am not a person that flosses as often as I know that I should.
• Bangladesh
Yes! You're right that we need to clean our tongue along with our teeth for oral hygiene. It helps keep our mouth free from germs and bacteria. If you consult your dentist, he/she will certainly advise you about all the necessary measures for your oral health. Have a healthful day.
@thuhuong (828)
I believe it is true as I usually brush my tongue every morning and night. it helps me rid the taste of any food or drink I may have had as well as let me feel fresh before the day or night. I also find that it cleans my 'palate' to help me taste better as the taste buds are able to taste more intently than when it wasn't cleaned.
@qamarep (4448)
• Pakistan
we have so much trust in the doctors more than anything else i guess. so if they say its a good idea to brush tongue we do it no matter what
@Ritchelle (3795)
toothbrush to clean the mouth 360 degrees - a toothbrush that proves that flossing and using mouthwash are not enough in maintaining oral hygiene.
colgate came up with a toothbrush called colgate 360 that is styled to clean the inner cheeks, gums and tongue. totally the whole mouth. so the fact that they did already means we should be doing the total cleaning of our mouths. this is still with the fact that they also produce a mouth called colgate plax so i think even flossing and using mouth wash ain't enough.
@Hubfee (665)
• Thailand
Hmmmm everytime that you brush your teeth, you also should brush your tongue because the germs are on the tongue rather than the teeth. And you also should give massage to your gum so it'll be healty. Our teeth are so important, you'll appreciate the food or not is also because of the teeth. We are not shark so once we lost a tooth, it's gone, no more coming back. Give a liitle more time with proper brushing are something that good for health.
@goldeneagle (6774)
I am sure that brushing your tongue really can't hurt anything. Some toothbrushes actually have a tongue/gum scraper thing built right onto the back of them. However, from what I can gather, listerine is pretty good at killing most of the germs in your mouth, so I don't really know if brushing your tongue is necessary as long as you use the mouthwash...
@RawBill1 (8541)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I do not brush my tongue, but we have a tongue scraper. Apparently this tool comes from India and is used quite often there by a lot of people. We bought it in an alternative health shop and it is a flexible stainless steel device in the shape of the letter 'V'. It is amazing the stuff that comes off your tongue and yep, it stinks a little too. It builds up over night, so it is good to use in the morning to freshen your mouth. Your tongue feels dry afterwards for a little bit, but the moisture soon goes back into it and it feels normal again.
@cortney09 (1346)
I try to floss regularly, but also don't do it as much as I should. My dentist suggested that I use a kids toothbrush since my mouth and teeth are smaller than average. We also have to use kids toothpaste because we can't use mint toothpaste as we need the extra fluoride.
@bystander (2299)
brushing the tongue is probably important too, towongfoo. otherwise, information on this would not be carried by health journals, even in the info campaign of one of the major makers of toothpaste. for me, i do it every so often because it takes only a few strokes to do it...
@lhadie (33)
I do brush my tongue every time I'm doing oral hygiene. Germs can lodge in our tongue esp. it has it's papillae where they can stay. Yes, it is best to have a check up with your dentist, it is he who knows what you need with your teeth.=)
@lhadie (33)
Yes brushing the tongue helps a lot to get rid from germs and harmful bacteria.. well keep going... great!!
@zzyw87 (1259)
I brush my teeth and floss twice a day, in the morning and before I sleep. I seldom use a mouthwash. I only use one when I have a sore throat. As for brushing the tongue, I do this too every day. I do this by using a tongue scraper. Tongue scrapers are really effective in eliminating bad breath and bacteria. My dentist told me so. It is simple. Just wet the tongue scraper and use it so brush your tongue, then gargle. That's it.
Yeah, brushing your tongue will prevent bad breath. It's an additional thing you can do to take care of your teeth. Actually, it's better to visit the dentist once every six months to clean your teeth. They can do a thorough clean up using their tools. Unless you develop very good skills in brushing, you would still be unable to fully clean up your teeth with brush.
@Ladyslipper (1330)
I've heard somewhere that aside from cleaning our teeth we should also clean our tongue. That's the reason aside from brushing my teeth I also brush my tongue. I don't do it when I was a kid. I just started doing it after reading somewhere (I believe in a Health Magazine) that we should also brush our tongue the same way we do with our teeth.
I brush my teeth everyday early in the morning not in the night before sleeping just have simpe mouthe wash. I use toungue cleaner but not daily, twice in week bcoz it took time to clean the teeth and tongue and i didn't have time in the morning bcoz i got up late in the morning and as fast as i have to reach my office to save time I don't do.
Yes it is good to brush your tounge also. It does have lots of germs and bacteria and that is what gives you bad breath. So brush away! Keep your smile healthy!
@kaylayoe (295)
What I've heard is that brushing your tongue gets rid of the bacteria that causes bad breath. Same with the roof of your mouth! I'm obsessed with brushing my teeth. I do it three times a day at least. I'm not sure why but I'm always afraid I'm going to get more cavities. I genetically have bad teeth and even though I keep them clean I tend to get cavities! Just my luck!