What Spices Can You Not Live Without?

Hello Mylot! I need to go to the store soon, and am buying some rosemary, dill, basil, oregano, and garlic salt. It got me wondering both what kinds of spices other people like, have in their spice rack, and feel they cannot live without. I know since I like to put basil and rosemary on just about everything from sauted onions to potatoes to chicken, I feel I have to have them in my spice rack. I even take the time to get a good whiff of the basil before I sprinkle it onto other foods I am cooking. There is just something about the smell of basil. I also add it to steamed vegetables, rice, and even my hummus to season it more the way I like! What spices do you use all the time?
I discovered cardamom over the summer...well, I found an interesting cookie recipe that used it and since I'd never bought any before I decided try it. I love it! It has a strong, distinct taste so I don't put it in everything (I do that with rosemary). I would like to find more recipes using cardamom, anyone got any? Have you ever grown fresh herbs? I always have a pot on my deck that contains rosemary, basil, oregano and thyme. Oooh, the varieties of basil and thyme are amazing!
I have never tried growing fresh herbs, but maybe since I live in an apartment, I can get one of those indoor planters? It would be cool to see how the herbs would fare. I love fresh herbs more than store bought ones, as they are beyond comparison. I wonder if cardamom is anything like allspice or cinnamon? now you got me curious, too!
Hmm. I always have garlic in whole form, ground, and minced, cinnamon, cayenne pepper for the heart, ginger fresh and ground, also good foe the heart and circulation. Chili pepper red pepper flakes, pepper, cloves, and that is what I can think of off the bat, Interesting though I use most of my spices as herbal medicine.
@veromar (1457)
• Argentina
Well, I can't really say that there are some spices that I "can't live without". lol. But, I do go out of my way when I've found some lacking from my spice rack. Here are the ones that are absolute musts in my kitchen: salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, thyme, cumin, cardamom, mustard powder, rosemary, parsley, sage, cayenne pepper and dill weed. Then there are the liquids such as soy sauce, worcestershire (whatever spelling you prefer) and tabasco. I use all of them on a weekly basis, if not daily. What is food without a bit of spice? lol.
@chulce (1539)
towongfoo! Great start for a discussion. It is amazing all the different staples in general that we keep in our homes. When it comes to spices, you can never have enough, it certainly helps with the creativity in your cooking. For my family must have spice staples are.....salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, oregano, basil, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, dill weed and actually there are a few others. We like to see how best to flavor different foods or come up with new ways to create different flavors that everyone may enjoy.
I con't live without DOGS..................
@syankee525 (6293)
old bay lol.. if some dont know what it is, its use mostly for seafood. like shrimp and crabs